• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Keeping a low tolerance, to opioids.

Djdoesitwell@gmail

Greenlighter
Basically, I likeoxy and tramadol. Ive never tried anything else except for MJ and Ativan, and Ativan, only a few times. Ive never taken anything more than 10mg of oxy in a day or 100mgs of tramadol. Ive been taking them pretty much 5 days a week, skipping a day here and there, same dosage, and luckily, my tolerance feels about the same.

Is there anyone else who has taken low doses over the course of years and, have never felt the urge to raise the amount.

If so, and I know this is a long shot, but how did you manage keeping yourself from getting to the point that you need to raise the dosage?

Thx

how long have you been doing this 5 days a week for?

if you are taking 10 mg of oxy 5 days a week for long enough you probably have some minor dependence although you might still get a good high. Try going 3 days in a row without, you will see on the 2nd or 3rd day that a slight withdrawal kicks in. 1 day skipping isn't long enojugh to notice.

The great thing about opiates is that a break of a few weeks always resets tolerance. But once you have been heavily dependent, everyone here agrees that its easier to get physyically dependent again after being clean and the tolerance increases faster when you use again

To your question about raising dosage. It depends on two things. 1) are you physically dependent even slightly 2) How high do you want to get?

people that raise doses are looking for that nod and intense high. If you just like the upbeat feeling from a small dose like 10 mg oxy its easy to not raise the dose and still get that effect. What happens though is you feel like shit in between doses.

From my extensive experience (i've alternated from everything from heroin to being totally off opiates several times) I would say that dosing twice a week spread out by 3 or 4 days each time is the most you can do without having some minor effect of developing a dependency...and when i say dependency i don't neccessarily mean at the level that you get dopesick without it...i mean maybe you can't sleep without it or function well at work.

Last edited:
The fast answer is no, nobody can manage to use opioids for long periods of time without tolerance development.

Keep this up and tolerance will happen sooner or later, and then quickly followed by realizing "shit, I'm opioid dependent" when you wake up one Monday and you feel like shit.

Seiko, thanks for the advice.

This sounds stupid, but I'm actually looking to try new things to reduce my drinking...lol. I know...I know. Not that I'm a terrible alcholic or anything, but in looking to try a few things responsibly, nothing crazy intense, or halucagenic. Something that I can still function responsibly, gives me energy and curbs inhibitions.

Any suggestions?

try some kratom..small dose of quality will boost your energy and keep you focused on the goal..

I actually have some Kratom here.

I didnt feel anything, but not sure if I have a good brand. So confusing and so much mis-information out there.

I'm not sure if it's possible to take opioids on even a semi regular basis and enjoy it without developing some kind of tolerance to them. If they aren't building up the amount of receptors in your body and brain then they are likely not getting you "high" or causing a positive experience that you feel compelled to repeat.

These positive responses are what causes you to want to do it again and again, all the while raising the number of opioid receptors in your body that you have to fill in order to feel it.

I'd like to see a lot more research done on the use of placebos by themselves and coming up with ways to access our endogenous opioid receptors with them, sidestepping the side effects that go with them like building a tolerance. You could have the experience but not need to alter your chemistry the way a pill would.

It's tough to avoid tolerance. For me, I was able to juggle opioids around for awhile and not get dependent/raise my tolerance. Just around 2 years of occasional recreational use, and, like you, I wasn't chasing rushes or nods, but just that internal glow of opioid buzz during a day.

3 to 4 days in between uses minimum. To keep tolerance low, ALL of the dose you took needs to have been metabolized and left your system before introducing the next dose, otherwise the blood level of the drugs you take will become ever increasing, even if its just tiny increases, it will become noticeable with time.

I managed to do this for awhile, and even had a year of no opioids after I did it. BUT at the beginnng of one summer I had a lot of stress from school, girl friend, etc.....and was emotionally uncomfortable. I knew EXACTLY how I was going to make myself more comfortable, which was by finding some opioids. and I had some slip ups, which had me doing 4 days on, 3 off instead of what worked before. AAAAaand now im here, working out my chronic opioid dependency. Be careful

Seiko, thanks for the advice.

This sounds stupid, but I'm actually looking to try new things to reduce my drinking...lol. I know...I know. Not that I'm a terrible alcholic or anything, but in looking to try a few things responsibly, nothing crazy intense, or halucagenic. Something that I can still function responsibly, gives me energy and curbs inhibitions.

Any suggestions?

Campral for the alcohol. Technically, it happens to be a NMDA antagonist. It worked very well for myself. It has some lightweight side effects, but not all that bad for most.

It works for alcohol and supposedly benzodiazepines also.

Ketamine has an effect on pain receptors, to say the least. YMMV, but I use it enough for pain and it works great. Ketamine is a solid, safe in a hospital setting, NMDA antagonist.

Last edited:
Opium was my first opiate 10 years ago. I have tried Fentanyl, Codeine, Morphine, Oxycodone and Tramadol. To give you an idea, today 30mg of Oxycodone is usually too much for me.

I have kept my tolerance low in the only way possible: taking opioids sporadically. Never more than once a month, even in this way I can feel a little tolerance but I do not have the need to increase the dose.

I have found that it is best to take it 2 to 3 times a year.

DocLad

All Good advice above, and while it's not easy, NMDAr antagonists like SK mentioned have proven tolerance limiting effects. Key is you have to start using them when you don't have a tolerance to take advantage of their tolerance limiting abilities.

These substances aren't to be used recklessly and can have side effects so keep that in mind. Take a look and see what you think:

-NMDA-antagonists-for-tolerance-a-collection-of-the-evidence-and-anecdotal-reports

So many have come before these pills thinking they could have a plan or strategy and just TRUST me TRUST ME it won't last long. They're too good :) At least realize at the point you are there's a high chance of it getting much worse.

10-20 mg was incredible to me for a looongg time but after a while for sure it took more. If you have extreme self control you can keep your tolerance down forever but an incredibly small minority of opiate lovers have been able to do this.

Had a script for tramadol 2x50mg for 2 years now. Sometimes taken 3 in a day, sometimes split a cap and taken .25 but mostly 100mg a day. My tolerance hasnt really gone up, maybe they dont last as long? I have occasional weekend breaks for festivals, and just did 5 days in ibiza, no tramadol, no withdrawal, but again, everybody is different.

idk just dont mess with opiates, or if you do just go ahead and shoot dope. If injecting heroin sounds bad to you, then good! dont go down that road bc thats where it ends, 1 3 or 5 years later it gets you

anything more than sporadic and youre building a tolerance. even sporadically, a tolerance is forming. I just believe anytime you make a stable routine out of using opiates, even if its lets say twice or once a week, you're already psychologically and subconsciously setting up a stable, consistent, ready to count on usage for your body. it may take much longer to develop a psychological and physical connection to once a week than to every day, but it still is creeping up. and even then, it's not like once a week ever lasts. it ALWAYS becomes twice, then three time, then daily.... and 5 out of 7 days as per your plan is VERY close to daily..... even if you can manage the will power to stay at 5 out of 7 days for years, its only one particularly devastating life change or a loss of a loved one etc that will throw you into a heavier use. it's really walking on thin ice either way, there are factors that are out of your control. but hey, I commend you for being responsible and taking the day breaks you are, thats good. wish you well

Thanks for the insights. Yes, opioids are really good. Actually, its the only thing ive ever done outside of weed and Alchohol. I really like Tramadol, which is odd because most people hate it, and consider it weak. It's also funny how a friend of mines takes them to go to sleep, and I take them and feel like they put pep in my step. So weird.

However, my relationship with that is over as I have no more...and have no idea where to find them, except thru a doctor. I really havent noticed any withdrawal symptoms, and its been about a month since I last had them.