• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

For Migraine Sufferers

SoCal424

Bluelighter
I remember the first time I ever had a migraine headache. I was watching TV, and parts of the screen seemed to distort (twist) and I couldn't read any text - every line just messed up so bad I couldn't read (I had captioning on the TV). First thing in my mind was "am I having a stroke." I went to the E/R where after some exam questions, the Dr. told me I was having a migraine headache. I didn't have a headache (yet) so it puzzled me. He said I should let him give me and injection of morphine because I would be getting a really bad headache. A few moments went by and the very second that my vision went back to normal, I got a headache so bad that I thought I would die from it. I said yes to that injection and many after.

I got migraines every week - every year - and each time, it meant an entire day suffering in bed each time. No one knew what caused them. So I had to live with them, and that introduced me to opiates. It was the only thing that helped - as little as it helped it was better with them.

After several years, a new drug called "Imitrex" had come out that could abort a migraine, but I had to take that pill immediately when my vision first distorted - or it wouldn't help. That was no always possible: one time, I was driving on the freeway heading to a new client when a migraine came on - I pulled over as my vision started distorting. By the time I could safely look for that pill, I couldn't see it to be sure it was Imitrex because my eyes were messing up. I even lost all my vision several times during those migraines.

Zip ahead to about a year ago, and I stumbled upon an article online about a chemical called Tyramine. It is in cured meat and cured cheeses. It's in some nuts too as well as some beans (like canned Italian string beans). It forms during the aging process in cheese. I don't know how it gets in other foods - maybe by the same aging/curing process. The article said that some medical experts were suspecting this chemical as a migraine trigger. That article stuck with me because I wondered if it caused mine.

I am also allergic to dairy, but I could eat dairy as long as I also used "Lactase Enzyme" which is more commonly known as "Dairy-Ease." I needed the strongest version of it for it to work - but it did work. I'm mentioning this because it may or may not have been a factor in my headaches - or in yours.

I tried a diet experiment. I cut out all diary and I cut out everything that I knew had that chemical Tyramine in it. When I did that, I went weeks with a Migraine headache - not once. And I've never had another Migraine since then. Don't get me wrong, I get headaches, but they are typical ones - not the migraine kind that screws up my vision then pounded my head all the rest of the day.

For me, this meant no pizza - no ice cream - no bacon - no canned nuts and no green beans of any kind - and my reward was a cure for Migraines. It is so worth it. Now I eat pizza, but without cheese or any kind of cured meat. I learned to like it.

I put this article here, because those migraine headaches are what started me on opiates. It is my hope that people who still get those awful headaches will consider trying what I did. And I hope this will free you from Migraines, the monthly trips to the pain clinic, and from the addiction that goes with migraines.

Thank you for sharing this information. I've been dealing with cluster headaches the last few months so I might give this a try. I rarely eat nuts or cured meat but I do consume a fair amount of cheese. I had to become careful with what I ate dealing with high blood pressure and cholesterol and like you said, you just learn to deal with it. I rarely eat out anymore and when I do, the food tastes puckeringly salty because I'm not used to it anymore. I season my food a lot of times with some type of hot pepper.

Migraines are the worst. I had one that lasted three months, not even exxagerating. I think the e-cig I was using at the time had too high of a nicotine concentration and that was what caused the initial migraine to occur. Then I began using large doses of ibuprofen and aspirin to try to help with the migraines. Eventually the medicine stopped working and the headaches got worse.

I think at this point rebound headaches were contributing to the original migraines. At one point I became suicidal, because going to sleep with a migraine then waking up with the same migraine was weighing me down. I was working a tough job at the time in a fast paced kitchen and things were beginning to get overwhelming. It took me a long time, I had to stop smoking completely. Everything I ate and drink besides water made the headaches worse.

After using certain supplements and doing the best I could to maintain a positive attitude, I managed to get over them and haven't had a migraine since. I had never had a headache before this and had no idea how bad they could get.

I wonder how affective psychedelics are for cluster headaches. I have read several articles on the subject.

CosmicG-Hello, I am Dale (AKA SoCal424). Happy Friday to you.
You wrote:
going to sleep with a migraine then waking up with the same migraine was weighing me down

I've been there - so many times I would eat the stuff that triggered migraines for me day after day. It is miserable isn't it. I've never tried psychedelics but I wonder if it would be a really bad trip because of the migraine going on at the same time. I hope my post helps you - sincerely!

Hi Aihfl- I hope what I posted is a big help for you. I stopped using added salt many years ago. Now I use something called "Mrs. Dash" from the spice area in the store. I especially like the garlic and herb flavor, but I doubt anyone around me appreciates as much as I do. There are two kinds of cheese that I know about - aged and processed. Cottage cheese is processed and I don't think it has Tyramine in it. All aged cheeses do have it and some have very high levels of it. I don't eat out at all anymore either but more because I like quiet (unless I'm the one making the noise).

I have a question for you: How do I "follow" threads? Is there something to click on that puts them in the followed threads area in the forum under my name?

Have a great weekend and thanks for your feedback.

Hi Aihfl- I hope what I posted is a big help for you. I stopped using added salt many years ago. Now I use something called "Mrs. Dash" from the spice area in the store. I especially like the garlic and herb flavor, but I doubt anyone around me appreciates as much as I do. There are two kinds of cheese that I know about - aged and processed. Cottage cheese is processed and I don't think it has Tyramine in it. All aged cheeses do have it and some have very high levels of it. I don't eat out at all anymore either but more because I like quiet (unless I'm the one making the noise).

I have a question for you: How do I "follow" threads? Is there something to click on that puts them in the followed threads area in the forum under my name?

Have a great weekend and thanks for your feedback.

To follow a thread look at the top of the thread and you'll see a line in small print that reads "View first unread, thread tools, search thread and display." The option to follow a thread is under the menu for thread tools.

The noise at restaurants is something I've noticed over the past 10 years or so. I first noticed it at a fairly upscale Italian chain called Brio's. When you have to be practically yelling at someone like you're sitting in a loud bar (another reason I mostly drank at home), that's pretty unpleasant.

I've stopped snacking on cheese, but I still put a lot of grated Romano in my salads, so that would definitely fall under the category of aged cheese. It ain't cheap, so giving it up for a while in my salads won't be much of a stretch.

aihfl- I think you're right about the Romano being aged cheese. I just took a quick look to see if there was a "non-cheese" Romano cheese, but I struck out. I never did eat much cheese myself - but it didn't take much to trigger an allergic (to dairy) reaction with me.

Thanks for the tip on following threads - I just followed some.

Have a great weekend,
Dale