• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

So I tried to save a friend.

You know Star, it's a freaking bloody shame when every "human" emotion and instinct is telling you an individual is in trouble and needs help ASAP and the reality turns out to be a total cluster-fuck! You reacted the way a true friend who cares would. You did nothing remotely wrong, however as it turns out, someone else in the equation threw a monkey wrench on the situation. You can clearly walk from this with a totally clear conscious. I only hope that if a circumstance comes up where another friend of yours really needs your help, I hope you're able to accurate access the situation and lend your assistance where you see fit. In other words, try not to let this jade you too much. Good job!

I'm sorry you had to go through this, I myself was burned by a former friend when I went to rehab for myself self-injury. (I am five years recovered from SI thank God) She asked for money or she'd off herself. I being a caring person friendly wired her money, didn't hear from her and then she asked for more money. (eye roll) it was very hurtful, but a painful lesson indeed on people. I staied off Facebook for two years took a social media break. Now I'm more clear headed. I truly am sorry you had to go through that. (e hug)

This is a tough situation. I guess since I am in similar shoes and have had friends that did similar, I would just ignore them and let them get it on. They will either have the balls to do it or they will have a change of heart. That's all you can really hope for in that type of situation imo. I just hope they all found their peace.

Sorry man... you did what you should have. Your friend is clearly psychotic, my guess would be meth based on my experiences with psychotic friends on meth. My best and oldest friend (since second grade and we're 35 now) got long-term strung out on meth and was eventually psychotic and occasionally suicidal. He never went THIS far with me, but he would ask me for money all the time after telling me about the people in his ceiling recording his keystrokes and stuff, and I'd refuse and he'd cuss me out and tell me we weren't friends anymore. A few times he would threaten to kill himself, and he lived 1000 miles away from me and 500 miles away from his parents... we'd call the cops, they'd do a welfare check, and their appearance would feed into his paranoia. One time he even threatened to shoot up a school. He never did any of that stuff, it would for attention. The reality was, he was incredibly lonely and isolated because he believed all this crazy shit was happening and no one would believe him (because it was obviously psychosis). Over time he started lashing out in any way he could to try to get someone to help, but then he'd refuse the help because he was paranoid and addicted to meth. Eventually he was convinced his parents and brother had organized some huge world-wide conspiracy to discredit and kill him. His parents were paying for his rent and basically everything because they didn't want him to be homeless, but it ALL went to meth, he'd call begging me to order him food sometimes, which I sometimes did. He'd get evicted from every place after a couple of months.

Do NOT give this person money, it will be immediately wasted and will only enable them. It's sad and scary, but people like this need to help themselves. Something needs to force them to detox and then hopefully they decide to get help. For my friend, it took getting shot (in the arm). He went to the hospital and they detoxed him and he decided to go move back with his parents and go to 3 months of rehab. He's got a month left and he's doing SO much better, he has some PTSD from it all and he's not quite right yet, he still believes some of the stuff actually happened, but then, some of it could be true, I don't know. We've talked extendedly a few times and I'm visiting my parents, who live in the same town as him/his parents, in a couple of weeks and we're gonna get together.

Point is, there's really nothing you can do when someone is so far gone.

I was just talking with one of my close friends about what it was like going through a psychotic episode. He brought up the movie Shutter Island, which is a pretty good depiction of what it is like if you have ever seen it. The delusions are your reality. I've pulled out clumps of my hair, wore all my fingernails down to the skin from scratching at the wallls, had conversations with myself, among loads of other crazy shit- some of which I'd rather not talk about, some I couldn't even tell you the full extent of even if I wanted to. Even still to this day my emotions attached to the memories of "what happened" are real and sometimes strong despite knowing that the event was fake.

It's hard to explain.. I know it didn't happen but it still feels like it did.

Star winx, glad to hear you are looking out for yourself. I hope your friend gets the help he/she needs. It's can be hard to watch people who are close to us struggle, but sometimes all that is left to do is walk away. You can't spend your life cleaning up other people's mess.