• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

I'm getting there I think.

GreenDark

Bluelighter
Hi, I've always used alone, so I don't have the experience of others to draw off. I have no experience as to what exactly all of my opiate abuse has done to my body and how it's effecting my current detox.

2013/15 Chewing Fent patches and taking tramadol, 2015/2017 maximum of Half a G a day of heroin, 2017 jumped on to Buprenorphine for about 9 months and tapered down to around 2 mg 2018 straight back on heroin again, I was buying a gram every 3/4 days up until Saturday just gone.

I last used Heroin Saturday morning and I've used some immodium to stop the runs. I'll be starting day 6 in 6 hours and I've only managed to catch 1 hours sleep. Should I be worried about that? From Day 3 my discomfort subsided to a manageable amount but at night, everything intensifies and becomes unbearable again, is that just a luck of the draw type thing?

The hot sweats and shivers have gone. Now I just feel cold all of the time, no goosebumps. Would this be my body trying to work out and fix temperature etc?

Last edited:
hey greendark

wellp our bodies go through a lot when getting high, theres something about change that the body,mind,and soul don't like having to deal with. that includes getting high. so anything out of the norm makes the body have to work to catch up to where it left off.

detoxing sucks man, like there was a guy coming off of heroin pretty bad at work and he was puking non stop, blood pressure was high, sweating. its part of it man, getting those toxins out from your body.

i'm not a doctor at all, and if you feel like your temperature is getting worse/running a fever, and feel sick then please seek medical advice.

Hi Greendark, I'm in the forum because I've been coming off years of talking methadone. I read your post. I have been feeling this freezing cold burning feeling on my back and upper arms for several days now, but it felt a bit better today - not gone though. Do you have any Benedryl pills in the house? It's sold over the counter at Walmart and is also called Diphenhydramine. I took one 25mg pill and it did help reduce that awful sensation. It can also make restless leg syndrome worse. If you don't have that restless leg syndrome (AKA RLS), then Benedryl/Diphenhydramine could help.

i'm not a doctor at all, and if you feel like your temperature is getting worse/running a fever, and feel sick then please seek medical advice.

Hey! Will do. I'm feeling a bit warmer now. Night time really messes with my WD symptoms.

Do you have any Benedryl pills in the house? It's sold over the counter at Walmart and is also called Diphenhydramine. I took one 25mg pill and it did help reduce that awful sensation. It can also make restless leg syndrome worse. If you don't have that restless leg syndrome (AKA RLS), then Benedryl/Diphenhydramine could help.

I don't, I suffer terrible with RLS so I avoid Benedryl. It really punished me last night. My brain decided to allow me to fall asleep only to be woken a little while later with terrible RLS. I felt utter despair. Mind you, this isn't supposed to be easy. I'm hoping my RLS symptoms will clear in a couple of days.

The muscles in my legs, lower back, neck and arms are really sore. It hurts just to walk around but I'm forcing myself to get outside move about. I went shopping today and instead of driving, I rode the bus. Before returning home, just sat on a bench in the middle of the city for a good half hour as the weather was really nice. I felt really good. Now I'm back home the pain in my body is back and I'm sneezing and have that nervous feeling in my stomach.

I'll be heading to a NA meeting tomorrow for the very first time. I nervous but really looking forward to speaking to people with have gone through addiction too. I'm just hoping I can get at least 2 hours sleep before I go.

Last edited:
Hi Greendark: Yeah I know exactly what you mean about severe RLS. feels like sharp stabs going right down my leg nerves over and over. I asked my doctor for something for it (I'm sorry if I'm repeating - I just want to make sure you see it). Anyway, I asked him for something for severe RLS and he immediately prescribed Ropininrole HCL pills and called it to my pharmacy. I got them yesterday and took one an hour before I "tried" going to bed to sleep. It made a BIG improvement in cutting down the intensity of those jabs, but they still kept me awake all night. I'm supposed to double the dose tonight (I have to build up to 4 pills at bedtime). I think this could work for you too. Any chance you can get in to see your doctor - or just call and explain you need this? It's generic and it's cheap even with no insurance if you get it filled at a Walmart. You can also look at www.goodrx.com on the net and they will help you get it as cheap as possible (they don't charge you).

I'm having a rough day myself - worse than yesterday. I took methadone before and it takes a long time to get out of my system, so I may have these freezing cold feelings longer than I hoped - but I won't give in because I don't want to have to start over again and throw away all I've done.
If you have a favorite song, try playing it and think about the words in the song - it can be distracting. The Cold dark silence of night is when this gets the worst - as you and I both know - maybe music or tv would help even just a little?

That shows you have a very strong inner strength to make yourself go to an NA meeting while you're sick. I never liked talking to a crowd either - I'd clam up and forget what I wanted to say. If you're like me, it helps to type it or write it down - just to introduce yourself, then read it aloud. Ask for help - ask for friends to talk to when you go. I know they will respond with kindness and they may have ideas that worked for them that can help you. Just imagine the day you are free of this and helping others get through it - I'd bet you'd be so good at it.
Feel free to send me messages if you just need to vent or ask something that I can look up for you. I'll help you if I can. You are among friends here - never forget that.
Regards,
Dale aka SoCal424

Last edited:
One more thing I'd like to suggest is Melatonin. That was suggested to me to help me feel sleepy. I thought - that's never going to help, but it does help. It's OTC (over the counter) in places like Walmart - in the pharmacy section. Also available online at amazon.com.

@SoCal424

Thanks for the advice.I'm willing to try something for my RLS if it hasn't cleared by day 8. However it has to be safe, no side effects other than helping RLS. I've briefly looked at a description online and it looks safe, however I'll need to speak to my doctor too.

I found day 5 to be one of my worst days so far. On day 4 I was feeling decent, which led me to believe that day 5 would be the same. Nope, RLS big time, slight chills etc etc. It's almost as if the drugs are giving it one last push to get you to relapse. I'll admit, I nearly caved, music and photos of my family really helped me collect my thoughts again. Music has helped tremendously, it's kept me going. over the last 6 days, I've laughed along with music, cried along with music, it's helped collect my thoughts and helped kill the time.

I did finally manage to get around two hours sleep. My arms felt like they were on fire so I ran to the shower to try and calm them down a little, as soon as my head hit the warm water I became instantly tired. I soaked my arms for a few minutes and then got into bed. I woke up 2 and a half hours later. When I did wake up it was like I'd forgot who I was, I was really confused and took me a while to remember I'm in the middle of a Heroin detox.

Yes, Melatonin thanks for the reminder, I'd completely forgot it was OTC. I hope you begin to feel better and keep going. Our lives are going to get better day by day.

Last edited:
Greendark you wrote: It's almost as if the drugs are giving it one last push to get you to relapse.

SoCal424 wrote: You know, I've been thinking exactly the same thing - why is worse today than yesterday - I can almost hear the methadone bottle calling me. Maybe I'll never know why this is happening, but I'm going to wait until tomorrow to see how that day turns out - and if it sucks, I'll just keep going - and so will you. If I can do this - anyone can - especially you.

Day 7 - I was having a decent night / early morning until around 3 am. When I was overcome with really bad hot flashes and a light tingling all over my body, which is a sensation I haven't felt before during WD's. Mind you, I've never reached day 6 before so, I shouldn't really know what to be expecting. The flashes and tingling really peaked my anxiety and left me worried that this wasn't going to end. I managed to fall asleep from about 5.00 am until 7.30 am. I was woken up by restless arms, the left arm in particular was very bad. I'll be trying Tiger Balm today on the recommendation of, @toothpastedog.

I'm feeling extremely groggy when I wake up, this morning it took 50 mins to reach a semblance of normality. People have recommended Benzo's but I've decided against them, I don't trust myself to use them safely and responsibly. Well done to anyone who can. I came into this detox expecting the acute WD's to have subsided almost completely by now, mind you, I have pumped my body full of opiates everyday for 6 and a half years, and I was maybe foolish to believe my body wouldn't put up a fight in trying to get me to give it opiates.

Last edited:
Good Morning Greendark. I think it is outstanding you've made it to day 7. A very long week and rough morning eh? I'm sorry you're feeling the hot flashes. It's part of the healing process - part of your nervous system adjusting to being normal again. I promise you it will go away.

I slept better last night (at least four hours) and had very vidid dreams about trying to get away from something that was trying to harm me.

I get those same restless arm problems (along with restless legs) and it was also worse in my left arm. What a strange and unpleasant feeling that is. You can try shaking your arms in the air - that gave me brief relieve from it. I have benzos, that I stopped taking over a year ago. I tried one regular dose early on in this - didn't help me. I tried it again - still didn't help me sleep. It made me feel slow and tired, but it did not reduce the withdrawal sensation I felt at all and didn't seem to help me sleep better. I stopped there because it could easily turn into another addiction if I took them daily to try helping with this.

I also came into this hoping my withdrawal symptoms would be much better by last week. Mine are finally easing up some - and yours will too. Remember methadone withdrawal takes longer than what you used, and if I feel better today. I believe you are heading that way real soon. Try something if you're up to it: Close your eyes and in your mind, say: Please Make This Better" - do that several times when it gets hard. I've been doing that and it feels like I'm asking the universe to help me with this. I send a heartfelt congratulations to you for making it to day 7. That is a major big deal - be proud of yourself for it!

The rest of day 7 WD wise has gone well. Intense WD's were non existent today. I've just been left feeling exhausted and left with a body that feels like 50 people have beat me with baseball bats. Every inch of my body is sore and aching but it's very tolerable. The odd light chill has come and gone but nothing that distracted me. I suppose having 3 hours sleep in 7 days would leave anyone feeling exhausted.

I now have the Tiger Balm which I will use tonight after a shower and before bed. I tried a little on my thigh earlier and the sensation is wonderful. I'm praying it calms my restless arm a little, so I can get a bit more sleep.

I've also noticed a few intrusive thought's popping into my head. But nothing to bad, plus I know they're to be expected as recovery moves on from the acute stage, so I just ignore them and try to think positive. Overall, it's been a good day for me.

Hi GreenDark-

Thought I'd check in with you to see how you're holding up today. It sounds like you've finished the worst of withdrawals. If you can find a distraction, this is a great time for it with Friday night approaching and the weekend when people like to party. Do you have interests like hiking - going for long walks, or stuff like that. It might even been a good time for a trip to the beach if you're close enough. I can't see the water from my house, but I'm about a mile from the Pacific ocean. Today the wind has been blowing really hard here and I like watching all the trees swaying around while my dogs play.
Making through this weekend will be a big accomplishment for you. I'm glad your feeling better.
Dale

Hey SoCal,

I'll definitely be keeping busy this weekend, I've walked everywhere this week, so I'll most likely take a drive and see what I can find. Yeah I like walking, I used to mountain bike a lot (I still have my bikes) snowboard and play the drums. All of that has been put aside over last 6 years.

1 whole week clean off heroin, I thought I would only make it until day 2 or 3 before I folded or asked for a script of Buprenorphine. Yuk, thinking back over this past week makes me shudder.

The Tiger Balm worked for me. It calmed my restless arm down enough to be able to lie still for 3 hours and just relax, shut my eyes and think. I'll use a little more when I head to bed.

Last edited:
Day 8 - Had some nice sleep, over 4 hours maybe over 5, I'm not sure but it was nice. I even had dreams too. I'm still struggling with an almost hangover feeling in the mornings, headaches and lethargy. It gets better as the day moves on so I won't let it deter me. Writing these updates helps too, so I'll continue. I've started taking vitamins in the morning as my diet has been awful these last 6 years. I'm now feeling more determined than ever to get my life back, I'm sure my body will catch up with my mind eventually.

GreenDark- Day 8 eh? Congratulations - another good day lies ahead for you.

I had really vivid dreams the other night when I slept good. Felt like I was trying to get away from something that was just behind me. I know that holds meaning for me.

I'm glad you are continuing to post. I've posted to some that just went silent midstream and while I hope the best for them, I wonder what happened. Writing about getting through this is therapeutic - and remember that what you write during this journey you've been on - will help so many who reach out on BL later.

Dale

Hey Dale,

Writing here twice a day is a start in trying to bring structure to my day. I also try to get out of bed at before 10 am; even if I'm feeling bad. And go to bed before 1 am. I've done nothing but get high for so many years, I'm hoping a small structure will kick start some kind of repair to my brain.

Annoyingly today, I never really got over that hangover feeling I've mentioned in previous posts. I managed to change my sheets and covers, walk to the shops and then eat, I'm annoyed becasue I wanted to try and go for a long walk on some rough terrain for some exercise, it was a waste of a perfectly good Saturday. Oh well, there's always tomorrow. I also found myself listening to the same song over and over again, it was the only thing that made me feel good. I'm also feeling really cold again and I'm having some neck pain but nothing a big outdoor coat and a hot flannel can't remedy. On a happier note, there have been no drug cravings and the rings under my eyes are a shade lighter.

I need to stop assuming each day will be easier and just take each day as it comes. It might help soften the blow of a disappointing day, a little.

Last edited:
Day 9

Slept for about 6 hours on and off through the night. I felt less hazy/hungover this morning but I still have absolutely no energy whatsoever, I just want to lie down all of the time which is a shame as the weather is so nice. I decided to make contact with a friend today, a friend I ignored and avoided contact with for the last 2 or 3 years. They agreed to meet with me, no questions asked. This person doesn't know about my drug use but I'm contemplating telling them everything.

Most physical symptoms have cleared, RLS has gone, no crawling skin and the headaches have cleared. I just feel cold all of the time and of course, extremely lethargic.

Last edited:
Day 9!!! You're almost home. The cold feeling goes away in spells (worse at night) but a little better day by day. I didn't sleep last night (but that's okay as I don't feel bad). I feel pretty good overall. Just skin tingling and sneeze-attacks. I did some work in the yard (not much) but it was nice to be out there among the giant weeds I've let grow. I hacked some of them.

It's nice to hear you reached out to your old friend. It's good to talk about it, but make sure you trust them not to tell others. Doing that is up to you. I hope it works out and you reconnect. We can use all the good friends we can find in life.

You're an inspiration - keep on doing what you doing.
Dale