• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Accents / what do you sound like?

The weird part about been back is getting use to the word 'cunt' been used excessively, for everything and as a form of endearment, especially in blue-collar work. I've tried to explain this to international friends.. I swear we're the only Anglo country that uses that word in a completely different way.

My sister has lived in the US on and off for about 20 years, and i dropped a c-bomb in telling her an anecdote a couple of years ago, and she looked really offended and didn't say anything. And she says "fuck" etc.

I made the point of doing it again last time i saw her ;)

I think some brits - and certainly some scots - say "cunt" in place of "guy", "person" or "mate"

I think all English versions use fuck as one of the most versatile words. I think it's interesting how slang is such a big part of English, and how it changes rapidly and regionally and is very different if you go to another country, to the point that it can be hard to understand what people are talking about.

Reminds me of this scene from The Acid House. It's a pretty thick Scottish dialect.

My sister has lived in the US on and off for about 20 years, and i dropped a c-bomb in telling her an anecdote a couple of years ago, and she looked really offended and didn't say anything. And she says "fuck" etc.

I made the point of doing it again last time i saw her ;)

Haha.

This topic reminded me of Christopher Pyne dropping the word in parliament. Australian politics everyone..

i am from edinburgh but have lived in the u.s. for nearly 25 years. my family and friends in the u.k. think i sound american. my american friends here think i sound scottish. i sound more broadly scottish when i am around other scots and when i am drunk :)

a few years ago we did a couple of rounds of "what do bluelighters sound like" - 10 bl'ers read a clip and people had to identify them from their voices. i can't find the threads now but here's my clip: http://alasdairmanson.org/bluelight//voice/voice205.mp3

let's do it again! get 10 bluelighters to record a clip. post them jumbled and invite people to guess who's who.

alasdair

i am from edinburgh but have lived in the u.s. for nearly 25 years. my family and friends in the u.k. think i sound american. my american friends here think i sound scottish. i sound more broadly scottish when i am around other scots and when i am drunk :)

a few years ago we did a couple of rounds of "what do bluelighters sound like" - 10 bl'ers read a clip and people had to identify them from their voices. i can't find the threads now but here's my clip: http://alasdairmanson.org/bluelight//voice/voice205.mp3

let's do it again! get 10 bluelighters to record a clip. post them jumbled and invite people to guess who's who.

alasdair

That sounds like a fantastic idea. Wouldn't know how to go about it. ( probably cry to Cfc and bat my eyelids, what, he's better at that kinda stuff ;) )

Anyone who is remotely interested in regional American accents, or language in general should watch this. It was filmed years ago as you can tell. But trust me, though they are fewer and fewer, places and people like this still exist. The area I grew up in is pretty much indistinguishable from what you see in this video.

I spent the first ten or so years of my life not knowing anything other than shit like that. i obviously don't sound like that anymore. Moved away, been bouncing around the south ever since. The whole culture is disappearing thanks mostly to the internet.

You can't just live in that kind of isolation anymore. Well, you actually can. You just have to know where to look. But for outsiders it'd be like a muggle trying to find Hogwarts :)

Related viewing

Here's how my wife describes my accent. If Tommy Lee Jones and Billy Bob Thornton somehow had a love child, it wouldn't talk as southern as me...✌️

American by birth. Southern by the grace of God!

lotta people have said they though i was black and from luisiana
:shrug:
shocking: i know, right?
fuckin profilin and shit make me wanna clear my throat.