• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery 80 hours in, but who's counting? (Me.)

Yeah I had anxiety while rapidntapering oxycodone 80mg a day.

Paws will be the next issue and it might be walk in a park or devastating. Feel free to ask about it if you like.

Yeah I felt so focused on getting through the physical stuff that I hadn't given much thought to what i'd do afterwards. Now that i'm thinking about it tight chest and everything only happens what i'm sitting here bored. What has helped you get through it? I'm still wrestling with the idea of going and talking to my doctor about my ADHD meds and/or something for depression but I don't know if I truely want the help or if i'm just trying to find a justifiable way of getting high. Like, in my head I think it would help with getting things done and work and stuff but idk. My mind is like mush lately.

Cymbalta and counseling as well as 60 days inpatient rehab had helped me alot as well as exercising and eating healthy and having a stable relationship (well as stable as relationship between ex-users can be).

Today was a good day! I cleaned the entire fucking house. The whole thing. I listened to music and just scrubbed everything. It feels SO GOOD to sit down right now and know I got so much done.

I wish these chills would go away, but it's getting a little easier to move my body. I find it's worse when i'm bored, so i'm trying to keep myself busy. Since everything is clean, my next project is painting the baseboards. I feel like I read most of the guys on here start going to the gym, but being a 20 something female whose never had an interest in the gym...home renos it is. ;)

^haha indeed. With physical exercise you'll be right as rain in terms of temp regulation sooner than you think.

Yes, it sucks when you can't escape something like this, but that doesn't mean you have to just sit around and suffer through it.

Great idea finding ways to get some physical exercise into your daily routine if, like myself, you aren't exactly a gym rat.

Other than exercising, those chills can actually be enjoyed with the appropriate clothing and warm beverage (when cold, layers and hot cocoa or tea), fan/air conditioner (when hot).

Baths also make the chills almost enjoyable. And stuff like Tiger Balm can be great at bedtime for chills (especially after hot shower/bath).

The invitation is to try and get creative, stay engaged, while also finding ways to get comfortable while simply resting.

Exercise is absolutely amazing for recovery, but rest and stillness is important too.

Try and keep your head up, be kind to and gentle with yourself and your discomfort during this period of adjustment.

You'll get to a much happier, comfortable place sooner than you might imagine :)

Is there any medication that can stop these chills/sweating? I feel like I would feel so much better if I didn't have these fluctuations. I have a jacket and sweats on, and then my face is all sweaty so I take it off...then I have goosebumps and it's driving me crazy. I drink coffee and hot chocolate and that does help..but then 5 minutes later i'm burning up and need ice water. 8)

Is there any medication that can stop these chills/sweating? I feel like I would feel so much better if I didn't have these fluctuations. I have a jacket and sweats on, and then my face is all sweaty so I take it off...then I have goosebumps and it's driving me crazy. I drink coffee and hot chocolate and that does help..but then 5 minutes later i'm burning up and need ice water. 8)

Clonidine and gabapentin can help a lot with the chills and sweating. Especially clonidine, but it seems to be even more effective with some gabapentin.

There are other things that can help as well, but those two meds are probably the most user friendly and with the highest benefit/cost ratio.

Also hot baths/showers and Tiger Balm help. As does exercise and just generally getting up and outside :)

I have neuronton (sp?) which I think is Gapapentin, i've just been scared to take it because I heard it makes you feel tired and/or drunk? I need ENERGY lol so i've been avoiding it. Maybe i'll try it in the evening. Thank you!

Yes, try it toward the end of the day. Should help you get comfy before bed and get more solid rest.

With a bit of use, tolerance to Neurontin builds really fast. If you're only taking it for a few weeks, you don't need to worry about dependency.

The good thing about tolerance increasing in this situation is that the lethargy and drunkenness of the Neurontin (pre-tolerance) will largely disappear with tolerance. So once you take it for about a week, if you still need it, you'll probably have less issue taking it during the day.

What dose is the Neurontin you have?

[And yes, Neurontin is brand name gabapentin, short hand is GBP.]

It says 300mg 3 times a day. Not sure if that would be the correct dose for me though so i'll have to look into it. I'm only 110lbs.

Try 300mg as you're getting ready for bed.

Take it with a little food, such as a cracker or two and piece of cheese (the idea being, a little protein, fat and sodium).

And then enjoy your rest :)

Given your size 300mg is a good starting dose, but you may need to increase it a bit to really get the benefits you desire. Good idea sticking to bedtime until you're more familiar with how it acts/tolerant to the effects (again, this happens quickly with GBP).

Thank you so much. You've been super helpful. This is so surreal getting to talk to actual people on here. I used to withdrawal a few days every month but only for 24-48 hours at a time and would come here all the time just to read. It has been literal years since i've been sober this long and I don't think I would have gotten through it without coming here to pass the time. I tried the 300mg Neurontin at about 10pm but I don't feel anything. This sounds funny coming from someone who is on here for a problem with pills...but I really don't like to take new things especially at night so i'm not going to take anymore for now. I'll try again tomorrow with two perhaps a little earlier.

Yeah, try two with a little food (protein, fat, sodium). Not too much, just like a two or three crackers and pieces of cheese (or if you're vegan some nutritional equivalent in terms of protein/fat/sodium).

Gosh, I know the feeling of having people to talk to on here. This was probably the first place I felt truly accepted not despite but because of my weirdness.

I remember back when I first discovered BL, which happened to coincide with experimenting with heroin. The funny thing is, all I would read was TDS (this was the days before SL). I loved reading about how heroin in particular fucked up peoples lives in TDS, and especially how they were able to overcome their challenges with it (and, in some cases, struggle to).

Anyways, BL has been a boon to my recovery. Wishing you the same good fortune!

I'M STILL DOING IT! I still haven't had a single pain pill. Tomorrow is day 17 with nothing but a few comfort meds at super low doses and only very sporadically. This is really, really awesome. I had no idea I was even capable of this. The heavy feeling is almost gone. The chills are still there, but not all the time, and not as strong as they once were. Even a week ago they were somewhat *painful* because it felt like my skin was crawling. Now they're just there and i'm aware of them, but it's not a huge deal. I still don't have much motivation, but I don't wake up SICK and it's amazing. I've noticed that I eat and drink more lately because of boredom and not having that voice in the back of my head stopping myself because it will "waste" my buzz if I eat something or drink a coffee. So that's pretty cool.

Oh, and I didn't get any Tiger Balm, but I did have some "biofreeze" stuff for sore muscles that I never really used because I didn't think something OTC would actually *do* anything. Turns out, it does! It feels really good. & Another thing...a heating pad. It feels SO GOOD to just lay on top of it with my bare back. I recommend it to anyone who can't get warm. I always hated that feeling of just not being able to get warm no matter what so this was a great investment.

I think I cried like...8 times today. I don't even have a valid reason just that...it's hard. It's hard doing any fucking thing at all. I'm up and then down and then further down, and it's so frustrating. I feel fine physically. Light chills and mild body aches. My mind is all over the map though. I think i'm back at the point I was when I started taking them in the first place. To numb the sad thoughts. It's been almost a month, with a 5 day little bender about 2 weeks ago. I hope I don't feel like this forever.

Yeah the psychological WDs which are still present or even start peaking up after physiological WDs have gone are the biggest thing when withdrawing in my opinion.

I could easily get through even severe physiological withdrawals but never past the psychological withdrawals on my own and I needed opiate replacement therapy as well as plenty of counseling and talk therapy in it's various forms.

Plenty of lethargy and feeling of not being able to even lift a finger sometimes does make you crave for easy aid that comes in form of a drug but that isn't the solution, just a temporarily fix that worsens the situation.

How is your daily rhythm at the moment?

Still here. Still sober. :) No daily rhythm at all really. I'm off work for the summer so i've just been hanging around the house, binging on Netflix shows and listening to music while I clean and organize all of my crap. I actually just discovered minimalism and i'm in the process of throwing out like...everything lol. It's giving me something to hyper focus on for now. I realize that when i'm busy I don't feel as bad, but it's super hard to get the motivation to GET STARTED on anything. I made an appointment with a psychiatrist for my ADHD but my boyfriend got mad and thought i'd be cheating myself and i'd abuse it and it caused a huge fight so I canceled it for now. I'm really dissapointed because I know it would help me get my energy back, but maybe i'm not far enough along to see the bigger picture yet. Idk. Good news though- my 110lb body is no longer feeling like it has weights hanging off of every limb! So that's really nice! If i'm being honest, I didn't think I would make it a month and it still feels really odd like i'm just waiting for myself to mess up. If I had a pill in front of me I know i'd do it, so all i've been doing is abstaining when there isn't even a real way for me to get them anyway. I deleted every single number. Idk now i'm rambling but I just thought i'd check in so I have a little journal I can refer back to, so that's all for now.