Bluelight

Thread: Struggling to Find Meaning and a Career

1. Collapse Details
    Struggling to Find Meaning and a Career 
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Cannabis Discussion
    Film & Television

Never really posted in this subforum before, but I'm currently at an impasse in my life that I believe talking about might be beneficial for me.

In essence, I've got a BA in history, yet have spent the last three years post graduation hopping from shitty retail job to shitty retail job. As I see others graduating and moving into jobs again (as it is that time of year) I have to wonder why I'm so incapable (or undeserving) of a middle-income career. I spent a year substitute teaching for a similarly shitty daily wage, and aside from that have never been afforded a "real" job. I've been trying in recent years to do an alternative certification rout for teaching, however my complete disinterest in sports and lack of true teaching experience has left me unable to obtain a teaching gig... on top of that, I've come to understand that teachers truly are underpaid for their effort, and I have no interest in working 60-80 hour weeks only to be left poor still. Not to mention, teachers don't earn social security, and their pensions are under heavy attack, as well as difficult to actually earn...

Thus, I'm left with a quandary. I've decided pursuing teaching for years on end would be a complete waste of my time at this point, as I simply do not want to coach a sport, and to be honest... those late teenage girls are frighteningly hot, and I fear a poorly timed checking out of a girls ass could land me in the unemployment line, or worse, jail. So yeah, can't teach, simply the wrong avenue for me, and I know this for sure now as I've put a lot of time and effort into it over the last two years.

So what now? With my degree, the only other careers people ever mention are law and the military. For a time, I refused the thought of the military, as I love weed and I hate authority; yet, life is not all about weed (and of course, it will always be there), and there is no escaping authority unless one is truly in the 1% of incomes. Law isn't an option, as I loath the thought of six-figure loans that could leave me financially crippled for life. The military, however, has officer training programs for civilians who hold degrees, and on top of that, they pay for your education if you desire any. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I realize that the only real reason I've avoided it is my passion for the Devil's Lettuce, and as said, it will always be there...

So I guess what I'm looking for is two-fold; one, does anyone here have experience with the military as a drug user (former and current), and what was your experience like? As a fairly emotional male, would I be ridiculed and disrespected by the macho-men the military is known for?

Two, what other options do I have to break into the middle-class? Nepotism is not on my side, customer service/HR is out of the question as I'm a misanthrope, and going back to school isn't an option unless I suddenly inherit wealth or use a GI bill from the military. Every decent job I've interviewed for, the interviewer condescends me and makes me wonder why they called me up in the first place.

So, what am I to do? Please help me. I'm in a very dark place because of this three year struggle of mine, and I very much need a way out soon.
    Last edited by Cream Gravy?; 08-05-2018 at 10:20.

2. Collapse Details

Current Events and Politics
    Homeless & Anonymous
    Sober Living
    North & South America Drug Discussion
    Quote Originally Posted by Cream Gravy? View Post
    So I guess what I'm looking for is two-fold; one, does anyone here have experience with the military as a drug user (former and current), and what was your experience like? As a fairly emotional male, would I be ridiculed and disrespected by the macho-men the military is known for?
    you'll be fine. the military is basically a cross section of society, there's every type of person in there, from anarchist commies like me to outright fascists. basic training might be the only place you'd have trouble, but since you dont plan on going infantry even that shouldnt be an issue.

Two, what other options do I have to break into the middle-class? Nepotism is not on my side, customer service/HR is out of the question as I'm a misanthrope, and going back to school isn't an option unless I suddenly inherit wealth or use a GI bill from the military. Every decent job I've interviewed for, the interviewer condescends me and makes me wonder why they called me up in the first place.
    cant really help you there. upward mobility is a thing of the past. military is probably your best bet though. i loved the army, but i spent most of my time in the guard and reserves, no active duty yet. if you can make it through OTC, officers make bank, but every contract is minimum 8 years, usually 4 active and 4 inactive (or 6 active 2 inactive for guard/reserves).

3. Collapse Details

Psychedelic Drugs
    Cannabis Discussion
    Film & Television
    ^Appreciate the response. Got a lot to think about and just tryin' to consider all my options.

4. Collapse Details

Gardenmeister
    Senior Moderator
    Recovery Support
    Drug Studies
    It sounds to me like what you want is something intellectually stimulating and that is even harder to find than well-paying.

What about getting some kind of specialized practical training and then getting involved with something that is intellectually stimulating in a volunteer capacity?
    I was chatting to the guy that made my cast when I broke my leg and asked him about his job. He said the pay was decent and the benefits were great and it was a 10 month program at a community college. Here in CA those are still very reasonable. My son volunteered to update the local ACLU's website which brought him into contact with the staff at their meetings--needless to say another very interesting time in the history of ACLU and their ironclad support of free speech. Since my son has basically been working as a laborer since he came home from overseas it was a nice balance.

5. Collapse Details

Psychedelic Drugs
    Cannabis Discussion
    Film & Television
    ^Lack of mental stimulation certainly is a contributing factor; however, I don't think it's the main cause, so much as being forced into wage slavery with no advancement potential and having to deal with strangers, who often smell god awful and are dumber than a box of rocks, on a daily basis. I don't want volunteer work, I don't want school or internships or something that will go towards a better future... I need the better future to start very soon, if not now. Day by day it's a struggle not to quit my job, and the only reason I haven't is because I wouldn't be able to pay rent. My savings drop a few hundred every month now. I fucking HATE people and the only jobs I can get are in customer service, aka dick sucking.

The military option is seeming more and more appealing, for many reasons. Most primarily, an immediate doubling of my income. I'm also to be married soon, so wouldn't have to live on base with all the jarhead single dudes. Upon completion of your contract, you get immense aid in finding a new job, something akin to nepotism. I could finally use my credit to buy a newer car, and get an amazing deal on a mortgage. Sure, I might have to write off two to six years and give up weed... but what is a few years of good work and pay and sobriety, compared to the last three years of poverty and absolute self-loathing, society hating misery I've become accustomed to.

I will not continue in customer service past midsummer. I've made it up in my mind just so I can maintain my sanity until then. If that means failing so hard my wife-to-be and I have to move in with one of our parents, so be it. I'm absolutely miserable where I'm at. I can pay my bills, but barely, and at the cost of years of my life. I am certain that my retail jobs have shaved a good couple years off my life expectancy. This MUST end.

6. Collapse Details

Psychedelic Drugs
    Cannabis Discussion
    Film & Television
    I went and questioned a recruiter for the Air Force earlier. He told me that since I have a useless degree (in so many words) that I would have to wait till 2020 or later to attend Officer Training School, and that my only option, at least within the AF, to achieve a leadership role would be to enlist, and then apply to OTS after a year or two of service. This made me feel very negative about myself once again. Time and time again I'm being told that i essentially wasted 4 years of my life going to school.

I'm considering simply enlisting still, because I really hate my life right now. I still need a change and soon. I had really hoped that my degree would have at least furthered me slightly, but it looks like whatever I end up doing, I'm going to have to work from the ground up.

Not feeling great.

7. Collapse Details

Psychedelic Drugs
    Cannabis Discussion
    Film & Television
    Army recruiters offered a different tune when I asked about the OCS. They said I'm very likely to qualify as long as I pass my physical. Gonna be taking care of a few things over the coming weeks to see if this is something I want/can do. Leadership has always been a distant calling of mine, and hopefully I may get an amazing opportunity to express that in the coming months.

8. Collapse Details

Gardenmeister
    New Member Introductions
    Yeah, I did the USAF in the 70's and they are way more particular when it comes to qualifications for OCS and a lot more. But please be aware of the "likely" stuff. Get everything in writing, I seen people messed over by the recruiter over promising.

Other than getting that squared away, it looks like a solid plan. I never regretted the overall decision to serve, mind you some times in BT I came darn close, but I'm pretty darn sure they do that on purpose. LOL

9. Collapse Details

Psychedelic Drugs
    Cannabis Discussion
    Film & Television
    Going to take the ASVAB tomorrow. Read I need to make a 110 on the GT scale. I know half of that is arithmetic, so I'm very nervous. On the practice test I got a 100% on the Word Knowledge and 89% on the Paragraph understanding, but 60-69% on the two math sections. Thank God it's a multiple choice test. Tried to study some for the math stuff but math really fucks me. I can always test again in a month and study my ass off, I'd just like to ace it now and be done with it. Move on to the hoping I've got no physical ailments I'm unaware of portion. Then to the hoping I'm recommended by the officer board portion. So many hurdles. I wish I could speed up time.

On the upside, if I do get recommended for OCS, I'm very excited to actually go and make something of my life.

Part of me really misses drugs right now. Being sober almost a month now, I've been pretty bored and melancholic.

10. Collapse Details

Psychedelic Drugs
    Cannabis Discussion
    Film & Television
    Passed phase 1 in essence. I kicked the ASVAB's ass. 93 overall score with a 134 GT line score. I can do almost anything if I enlisted and definitely qualify for OCS by these standards. We'll see how the next steps go!