• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Poppy Seed Tea Withdrawal Is Hell

Thinking of you and checking in on you today.

How are you doing today?

I hope the rest of your taper and quit goes well this time, I remember your quit last time and I will be praying it is much easier this time.

I think if you can taper properly it will be easier on you. Let's hope at least right?

I know this, you were a badass with your quit last time and you will be again this time. Much respect to you, I'm really proud of you IAG and it's nice to have you back here.

Much love and support,
here if you need anything,
your friend,
Ash,

Quick update. The 7:30 dose kicked in and I am not feeling any WD symptoms aside from a dull headache. I am not feeling any type of buzz or high which is good (or bad depending on your point of view...) but do have a slight relaxed feeling. That may be a placebo effect just knowing that I am not going into full withdrawal. As ashamed as I feel about using again, I definitely do remember the nightmare of the CT withdrawal. I'll take my punishment and deal with whatever awaits me when I do quit, but I really don't want to go through what I did last time if I can avoid it. Maybe I am just delaying the inevitable, though...

Thanks Ash--you rock. So far so good with the lower doses. Last night was kinda crappy--woke up around 3:00am with chills and a runny nose. Managed to get back to sleep and got up around 6:30. WD seemed to be coming on faster this morning so I drank 8 oz at 10:30 but have not had any more since and not really feeling too bad. Had some gastro issues today which is probably my body letting me know it is not happy about the reduced doses. Going to try and hold out until 8:00 before taking any more to see if it helps get me through the night.

I plan to stay on the 16 oz/day until Saturday and then go down to 6 oz doses twice a day which is a 25% drop. That seems like too much, but I am kind of amazed that I was able to go from 2.5 lbs to 1 lb per day without much issue. I guess, the difference is that with the 2.5 I was just trying to get high but with the 1 lb, I am just trying to stay ahead of the WD symptoms. If the 25% drop is too much, I can always increase it a bit.

As YubaCity noted above, though, it is really hard to not keep going back for more once you feel it kick in--taking a lot of focus to remember what i am trying to accomplish here.

@KraziKat: Thanks for the support. Yes, really would like to avoid the hell of the last CT. I know I've got some uncomfortable days ahead, but hopefully with a good taper plan it won't be as bad. I will say that even only at 4 days tapering, it is probably taking as much will power to not drink more than I need than it did to not drink any at all.

I wish you all the luck. I have read your journey and i know first hand how terrible the withdrawals are,and i been on 300mg of oxy, opana with brutal withdrawals,but I noticed quiting the blue b.. seeds it is a torture, the lingering of the symptoms, all the nasty withdrawals and the depression. Since i quit suboxone on June, i experimented like a stupid with the tea, to ease my withdrawals.I didnt feel anything beside the ability to sleep,since my tolerance was very high due to the suboxone. I tried to stop and it was very hard, even though I attributed my suffering to quiting xanax at the same
time. I got better after few weeks,but i made the mistake of orderning online again after using one day xanax.I lost my willingness and judgment while on benzo.When the package came i couldnt returned it.My inner addiction spoke strongly.Anway i quit for the new year.Today is my ninth day of being clean.I did suffer a lot,i feel so miserable, reading previous notes from my notebook.I may have withdrawals countless time.You did motivated me a lot with your sincere and detailed journey struggle. I am from Albania,and back home, we used to smoke heroin and hashish, but used the poppy pods or seed only for sleep or stomach issues,not for major recreational use.I wouldn?t never imagine that the poppy seeds would have this infernal pain.I wish you all the best.My daily dose was 2 pound a half a day.It was very expensive as well, more potent than the product of the three big known website.I still have pain , underarm sweat,restless arms mostly than legs,insomnia big time, night crawling,but a little better since is the ninth day.Thank for sharing your journey.You did motivate me a lot.I read your post on the third day of my withdrawals.You are one of the reason, that i made it to the ninth day.Thank you Iamgolum.I really hope that your struggle with be much easier this time.You do have your family,business and a complete life,those are some great attributes for a sober happy future.

@Belamiable85: Congratulations on Day 9! That is fantastic and you should feel really good about that. Thank you for you kind thoughts as well--I am glad my journal helped. As everyone who has been through withdrawal will tell you--it does get better. But it is a process and it takes time and patience. I really believed that I would just wake up one day and everything would be normal again. It just doesn't work like that unfortunately. But I will tell you that I do remember a specific moment in time--probably about the 3 or 4 month mark where we were at a concert with our kids and I remember looking around and noticing the details on my kids faces and how much they had grown up, I noticed how bright the lights were, how good the music was, the smell of the food trucks, the sun setting--and I realized that was what normal used to feel like. That was what life was supposed to be outside of an altered state. So for what it is worth--the only advice I feel I am qualified to give someone trying to get through withdrawal is find a focal point--figure out the real reason that you need to stop using and concentrate on that when you feel like giving in. I focused on my sister and that she needed me to be clean to help her and it really helped. And, as I said above I think recovery is about winning battles, and if you win enough of them you win the war. Focus on small victories and celebrate them when you win.

The other advice I would give is to start a journal on Bluelight. I cannot tell you how much it helped me. I started mine mostly because I thought my story might someday help someone else in a similar situation and I thought it might keep my mind off the misery. The benefit I did not expect was the incredible support I received. I cannot begin to thank the many strangers who reached across the web with words of support and kindness during my ordeal. It truly renews my faith in humanity.

But the enemy is always there and always calling--The monkey on my back was just a ghost and yet he seemed to somehow call to me across the void and convince me to start mixing up the tea again. I can't tell you why I started using again--I wish I could. In fact, I wish someone could explain it to me because I had no reason to--I made it through and had my life back on track. There was no trauma or stress that caused it. I just made a conscious decision to start again. Even knowing the agony I went through, I still started using again. That is something I have trouble wrapping my brain around. But, I suppose it is my brain that is the problem--I am definitely a drug addict and it easier for my brain to remember a few hours of pleasure rather than 30 days of hell and justify getting high again. I think I will make it back to sobriety--life was too good to not. And, I am not as far gone as I was last time which gives me some hope. I guess the lesson I have learned is that the recovering addict needs to be ever vigilant--that you need to be constantly reminding yourself it only takes one slip to end up back in the pit.

Again, you are doing great--you can do this.

@Belamiable85: Congratulations on Day 9! That is fantastic and you should feel really good about that. Thank you for you kind thoughts as well--I am glad my journal helped. As everyone who has been through withdrawal will tell you--it does get better. But it is a process and it takes time and patience. I really believed that I would just wake up one day and everything would be normal again. It just doesn't work like that unfortunately. But I will tell you that I do remember a specific moment in time--probably about the 3 or 4 month mark where we were at a concert with our kids and I remember looking around and noticing the details on my kids faces and how much they had grown up, I noticed how bright the lights were, how good the music was, the smell of the food trucks, the sun setting--and I realized that was what normal used to feel like. That was what life was supposed to be outside of an altered state. So for what it is worth--the only advice I feel I am qualified to give someone trying to get through withdrawal is find a focal point--figure out the real reason that you need to stop using and concentrate on that when you feel like giving in. I focused on my sister and that she needed me to be clean to help her and it really helped. And, as I said above I think recovery is about winning battles, and if you win enough of them you win the war. Focus on small victories and celebrate them when you win.

The other advice I would give is to start a journal on Bluelight. I cannot tell you how much it helped me. I started mine mostly because I thought my story might someday help someone else in a similar situation and I thought it might keep my mind off the misery. The benefit I did not expect was the incredible support I received. I cannot begin to thank the many strangers who reached across the web with words of support and kindness during my ordeal. It truly renews my faith in humanity.

But the enemy is always there and always calling--The monkey on my back was just a ghost and yet he seemed to somehow call to me across the void and convince me to start mixing up the tea again. I can't tell you why I started using again--I wish I could. In fact, I wish someone could explain it to me because I had no reason to--I made it through and had my life back on track. There was no trauma or stress that caused it. I just made a conscious decision to start again. Even knowing the agony I went through, I still started using again. That is something I have trouble wrapping my brain around. But, I suppose it is my brain that is the problem--I am definitely a drug addict and it easier for my brain to remember a few hours of pleasure rather than 30 days of hell and justify getting high again. I think I will make it back to sobriety--life was too good to not. And, I am not as far gone as I was last time which gives me some hope. I guess the lesson I have learned is that the recovering addict needs to be ever vigilant--that you need to be constantly reminding yourself it only takes one slip to end up back in the pit.

Again, you are doing great--you can do this.
While in wd we think fuck doing this again nothing worth this pain and mental torture.But the brain a bastard it convinces you makes you think just once I've been good I'll have a great.But we can never use recreationly or just the once.I can give you this advice but put some heroin in front of me and I'll crumble it's such a fucked up substance.Good luck mate I mean that

Great post, Cosmic Charlie. A a fellow deadhead here... My handle is a subtle nod to Crazy Kat peaking through a lace bandana. I have tried to trip my way to sobriety or a healthier life but keep falling short. Everytime I am tripping, I see everything so clearly, that I want and deserve and need a like free of addiction. It's so clear. And then I just pick up again once it's worn off it seems.

Psychedelics can provide me with perfect mental clarity. Id recently took this Mescaline/Mushroom combo and it was so productive. Since then i have made so many positive changes. I haven't had any alcohol since and i got hired at an amazing new job.

Psychedelics can be a great tool if used in the right manner. I've known many people who have totally transformed their life.

~Charlie

@Yubacity: I completely agree--addiction definitely changes the brain chemistry. Makes no sense that after going through complete self-inflicted misery and torture, one goes back to the source of it. Unfortunately, my dealer is every grocery store and temptation is always there...guess in the future I just need to avoid the spice aisle....

Psychedelics can provide me with perfect mental clarity. Id recently took this Mescaline/Mushroom combo and it was so productive. Since then i have made so many positive changes. I haven't had any alcohol since and i got hired at an amazing new job.

Psychedelics can be a great tool if used in the right manner. I've known many people who have totally transformed their life.

~Charlie

My experience with different drug types is very limited aside from alcohol, weed in college, painkillers, poppy seed tea, but I am not convinced that any drug used outside of a doctor's control can be used in the right manner. There may be those individuals out there with a Jedi-like power to control it, but I was not one of them. I am a focused, Type-A personality that has overcome adversity and challenge many times. I grew up poor and built a successful company from nothing, and yet a little black seed still took over my life.

Don't get me wrong. I understand why Bluelight exists. For every story of someone trying to get clean there is one of someone trying to figure out a better way to get high. Who am I to judge? If your lifestyle choice includes recreational drug use, and you are happy with that choice, go for it. But, I will give you this caution. The person that you think you are when you are using is not the person you really are. I don’t think life was meant to be filtered through the prism of an altered state. Life is what it is. We tell ourselves that it makes us more focused, things are more intense or enjoyable, that we can better cope with things, but I think it is just a lie the beast whispers in our ear. Anyway that’s just my opinion. And, I have been to the bottom of the pit, clawed my way out and then fell back in.

Day 5 of my new quest to get clean ( God, do I feel stupid...). Anyway, drank 8 oz last night around 8:00 pm and mostly slept through the night aside from waking up once around 4:00 am. Aside from some congestion, watery eyes, and slight headache I do not feel too bad this morning. No anxiety or other WD symptoms to speak of. I have been working on a blog post that actually reads pretty good so I think mentally I am hanging in there. Going to finish the post, work out and take a shower. If I am still feeling good I may just see how long I can go before and moderate WD symptoms show up. Fairly certain they will pop up at some point today but no sense doing more tea if I don't need it. If this improvement continues, I may reduce the dosage earlier than planned to see what the result is.

Quick update--just sneezed 13 times in a row so obviously the lower doses are having an effect. I think it took almost 3 months last time for the sneezing bouts to stop. Forgot about that weird little symptom...

Last edited:
Hey Gollum, good luck on your recovery, you know you can do it, I’ve read your journey. I’ve got a similar one, this is one week for me! But a quick question........grocery aisle and pounds of poppy seed? I’m dumb I guess. People around my parts get eyebrows raised if they start buying bulk sugar ( moonshine) how you get bulk without suspicion?

You're anything but stupid.

You're human, glad your wd's thus far aren't terrible. Keep up the fantastic job with your taper.

Don't sneeze too much today. ; )

You got this IAG!!!

Here for you anytime,
your friend,
Ash.

Day 5 of my new quest to get clean ( God, do I feel stupid...). Anyway, drank 8 oz last night around 8:00 pm and mostly slept through the night aside from waking up once around 4:00 am. Aside from some congestion, watery eyes, and slight headache I do not feel too bad this morning. No anxiety or other WD symptoms to speak of. I have been working on a blog post that actually reads pretty good so I think mentally I am hanging in there. Going to finish the post, work out and take a shower. If I am still feeling good I may just see how long I can go before and moderate WD symptoms show up. Fairly certain they will pop up at some point today but no sense doing more tea if I don't need it. If this improvement continues, I may reduce the dosage earlier than planned to see what the result is.

Quick update--just sneezed 13 times in a row so obviously the lower doses are having an effect. I think it took almost 3 months last time for the sneezing bouts to stop. Forgot about that weird little symptom...

@Debbie: Congats on one week--that's excellent. Keep up the great effort. And, thanks for the support. Re: the seeds: I don't know--it's a well known national food chain and it recently added some bulk foods to compete with the wholesale clubs I guess. I just go in clean out the stock and hit the self-check-out lane and no one notices a thing. I do know that the wholesale food supply place I used to get it from actually pulled poppy seeds from the shelf and started keeping them behind the counter because they were losing so much to theft. I used to have a standing weekly order of 25lbs that I picked up--did that for years. One time the manager did ask what I did with all the seeds and I told him we made natural exfolliant soap with it. Other than that no one ever said a thing. Guess they figured if some idiot wanted to pay them $200+ a week for poppy seeds then what the hell. I will say I have not went back there since my last kick so at least I can be proud of that, I guess.

@EPL1: Thanks Ash. Haven't sneezed anymore thankfully--I always heard that your heart skipped a beat when you sneezed so technically I was probably dead for a second there! Managed to hold off until 1:00 before drinking the next dose. Seems like once the WD symptoms kick in they really snowball quickly. Went from not feeling too bad to pretty shitty in the span of an hour. Anyway, seems to be under control and I am not feeling any type of buzz so I think the dosing is about right.

Glad to hear it, you hang in there, you've done it before, you'll do it again.

I'm here if you need anything, just ask.

Proud of you, you're awesome.

Hugs,
your friend,
Ash.

@EPL1: Thanks Ash. Haven't sneezed anymore thankfully--I always heard that your heart skipped a beat when you sneezed so technically I was probably dead for a second there! Managed to hold off until 1:00 before drinking the next dose. Seems like once the WD symptoms kick in they really snowball quickly. Went from not feeling too bad to pretty shitty in the span of an hour. Anyway, seems to be under control and I am not feeling any type of buzz so I think the dosing is about right.

End of Day 5: I dosed at 12:30pm and 8:00pm. Did pretty good today but really ran out of energy in the afternoon and was feeling especially cold--of course it's like 15 degrees outside, so there is that. Was sitting in a meeting and was having some real issues concentrating but that could be because it was boring as hell. Also having loose stools which means the opium is losing its grip on my bowels--sorry, just trying to be thorough. Overall, I think the taper plan is going pretty well--at this point with the cold turkey last time I thought I was going to die, so it is definitely better than that so far. I just need to keep working the plan which really takes a lot of focus, especially with it being so accessible and easy to get/use. One more day at 16 oz/day and then I drop to 12 oz/day. Should be interesting.

Early Day 6 of the PST taper. Had trouble getting to sleep last night but eventually did around 2:00am and slept to 7:00am so feel pretty good. Seem to be sweating a bit more than usual, but feel chilled at the same time. Having mild gastro issues and not much appetite. I've also noticed that I am sweating between my fingers a lot which is a new WD symptom for me--Anyone else experience that?

Feeling kind of anxious this morning as well, but I think that is because I have a stressful day ahead for personal reasons and facing it without a good dose of tea, worries me. However, I do not feel bad and can easily deal with this level of WD. Plan to dose around 11:00am with 8 oz.

I tapered off methadone, from 90-9.......took a long time. Lots of stops letting the body balance, stable. I’m trying to remember but probably a good 2 1/2yr process. I know I should’ve waited tapered to 1 but could not stand it at clinic anymore. You have time. Let ur body acclimate?

I'm happy to hear you got at least 5 hours of sleep. Insomnia during wd's is terrible.

The gastro issues are also par for the course, take some lop if you have it.

Sorry to hear you have a difficult day ahead of you, it's tough even when we are at our best so I hope that resolves quickly for you IAG.

Keep up the great job with your taper, your great attitude and determination are going to help you immensely.

You rock and you're gonna kick this is in the ass just like you did before.

Have a fantastic weekend!!

Much love and support, feel free to pm me if you need to.

Hugs,
your friend,
Ash.

P.S I am really proud of you.

Early Day 6 of the PST taper. Had trouble getting to sleep last night but eventually did around 2:00am and slept to 7:00am so feel pretty good. Seem to be sweating a bit more than usual, but feel chilled at the same time. Having mild gastro issues and not much appetite. I've also noticed that I am sweating between my fingers a lot which is a new WD symptom for me--Anyone else experience that?

Feeling kind of anxious this morning as well, but I think that is because I have a stressful day ahead for personal reasons and facing it without a good dose of tea, worries me. However, I do not feel bad and can easily deal with this level of WD. Plan to dose around 11:00am with 8 oz.

Keep doing what you doing mate you much stronger