• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

My husband is an addict and I have drug related questions

OP - I was scanning some threads and happened to notice we haven't heard from you in a little while. Just wanting to know you guys are OK.

Hi all...For anyone that was curious about how things are going, I have a few updates. On the 11th, my husband finally agreed to go to rehab. It was pure torture getting him there, but he went! He was there until the 16th (it’s a detox facility only). I probably spent at LEAST 5 hours on the phone calling other facilities/insurance company/etc. trying to get him Into an aftercare program (per his request). He only had a very limited amount of time on the phone, and the insurance is in my name, otherwise I would have made him do it. Around his 4th day there (detox) , things started to take a turn for the better, his thought processs seemed to be changing, he slowly started apologizing for what he has done (not specifics, just as a whole), and he was VeRY concerned about getting into an aftercare program. Anyway, Wednesday (16th) we finally got insurance approval for a 28 day program a few hours from where we live, which was around the same time he was being discharged. Since it was later in the day, the new facility said he could either come home for the night, or go straight here. He made the first adult decision he had made in awhile, and asked me if I would be upset i took him straight there. He assured me that he really wanted to come home, but thought it was safest for him to go straight there. We drove the 2.5 hour drive there, and really talked for the first time in quite awhile. He did most of the talking, and I did a lot of listening. I was very clear about a few things that were “musts” for him to return to our house. We got to the place, got him he checked in, and I came home. He was supposed to have a 7 day black out of no phone/visitors, however his counselor gave him 15 minutes to call me today. As soon as he said hello, It felt different. Without getting too mushy, he sounded like a mature, healthy, adult. He would start talking, and occasionally correct his wording (l’m going to try so hard, no, I will accomplish this...etc). He also said that every meeting, conversation, class, etc he has been a part of he has learned something from. He just sounded so positive, which is something I have not felt from him in a vey long time. Yes, I am aware we are only 10 days into this journey, but I remain cautiously optimistic. I know we have a very long road ahead of us, and obviously I remain guarded, but I just had to share this news. I’m so sorry this was so long and detailed, but I jut started typing and couldn’t stop!! Thank you all for the various comments, and responses to my post. For the first time In a long time, I see a light at the end of the tunnel.

If anyone in the SC area (or not) is looking for a program, I highly recommend Waypoint Recovery Center in Cameron, SC. The staff in admissions was wonderful, and so helpful (which i can not say for the other 20+ places I spoke to). The place is beautiful, from what I saw, and They really do a custom program for each individual. So far it seems great-Will update if that changes while he is there. Anyway, good luck to everyone who is having similar struggles!!

I'm glad your husband made the good decision to get help! You must feel so much relief right now. <3

That's awesome to hear that things have taken a positive turn, there is hope even here in the dark side. :) Having someone to take care of things like phone calls and insurance when going through withdrawals is a world of help. Dealing with anything can feel overwhelming when going through the physical/acute withdrawals.

In some ways, admitting you are wrong is always the hardest step to correcting a mistake, but there are also a lot of other challenges that come along the way. Sometimes it can be difficult to face some of the underlying issues and obstacles that were covered up with the drugs. For me, finding ways to socialize normally and cope with depression has been equally difficult. It was almost easier to fight and struggle for my life basically versus battling the daily mundane monotony that comes with routine. BUt hey everyone has their struggles. Such is life.

I am so happy for you guys! Definitely reason to be cautiously optimistic, right? I realize it's very early in the process but everything you've written sounds like things are moving in the right direction. I wish continued success and I'm really pulling for you guys!