• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Marihuana and GABA

wasrbonk

Greenlighter
Heloo everyone,
I have some theory, but cant find much on the internet, so Im asking here If someone can tell something to it.

One guy have social anxiety and when he smokes MJ his SA is much worse.
This should be because marihuana suppress GABA in his body. If he smokes, he gets anxious, then he will go home for sleep. When he wake up, he is sober and he is feeling less anxious, than at usual soberness.

So here is my theory: If marihuana suppress GABA, his GABA receptors upregulate themselves to be more sensitive to GABA, because they are understimulated while he is high. But when he sober up, his body start to produce normal amount of GABA, but his receptors are still more senitive and thats why he feel less anxious than usual. Its like opposite with as lets say alcohol use. When I drink, my GABA-a receptors downregulate themselves because they are overstimulated, so when I sober up, Im more depressed, because, they are less sensitive and my normal GABA level is not enough for them.

Could be this theory about marihuana true?

I hope I didnt write it much chaotic and you can understand what I mean.

Very true, THC can temporarily spike GABA levels which can then cause anxiety. I saw it in a study on THC-induced psychosis.

Might be unrelated.

My wife tales about 3500mg Gabapentin/Day. Which I have been led to believe by her docs is GABA increasing somehow.

Anyway, if she takes 5mg THC dominant dose she gets lit to the moon. It's crazy how little she has to consume for effect.

Might be unrelated.

My wife tales about 3500mg Gabapentin/Day. Which I have been led to believe by her docs is GABA increasing somehow.

Anyway, if she takes 5mg THC dominant dose she gets lit to the moon. It's crazy how little she has to consume for effect.

That's not very uncommon for someone with light tolerance...

Cannabis is the only drug I regret doing, I don't encourage it's use socially only medicinally.

From the ages of 13-17 I was smoking it heavily and years later it has impacted my mental health severely.

After abusing it 3 times during the period of those 4 years I ended up in hospital each time with a different panic attack or condition.

Cannabis is one of the worst drugs for a growing brain.

Last edited:
I was more interested in the science/medicine of Gabapentin and if their is any contraindications between the two or if the are synergistic, etc.

Sorry about you experience. Not sure how common, but I believe that is a common story some people share. And I don't have sources, but my intuition tells me, psychedelic use should be respected and be consumed in a safe. Nurturing and guides environment for mediacal/mental health uses.

With psychedelics and mental health, I'm always trying to figure it out which is the horse and which is the cart. And why is that chicken about to cut them off in the road?

Cannabis is the only drug I regret doing, I don't encourage it's use socially only medicinally.

From the ages of 13-17 I was smoking it heavily and years later it has impacted my mental health severely.

After abusing it 3 times during the period of those 4 years I ended up in hospital each time with a different panic attack or condition.

Cannabis is one of the worst drugs for a growing brain.

I don't think that your personal experience using it as a child at the peak of development (as far as how fast your brain is developing goes) should speak for people who started as adults and may have majorly different use habits.

I 100% believe kids using weed fucks their brains up permanently. Whether it's hugely detrimental can vary person to person, though.

I don't think that your personal experience using it as a child at the peak of development (as far as how fast your brain is developing goes) should speak for people who started as adults and may have majorly different use habits.

I 100% believe kids using weed fucks their brains up permanently. Whether it's hugely detrimental can vary person to person, though.

Oh no certainly not I wasn't implying that, But in terms of long term mental health issues it's the only drug I regret abusing as a young adolescent. I feel like my neurotransmitter balance is upside down at times.