• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Photo Contest Round 395: Shadows (VOTING CLOSED)

Who's shall become BL's resident Shadowmeister?

• bptubbs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CFC

• BehindtheShadow

• Xorkoth

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • mal3volent

• Herbavore

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Globetrotter

• White_Rose

• aihfl

• Buspersons Holiday

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • hydroazuanacaine

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Really like the pic CFC, how'd you get that effect?

To bits, he was adorable.

Okay I got a couple few here:

This one is from when my friend and I did a psychedelic river hike last Fall. It was like 7 hours after we started, in the mid to late evening, when we got back to the car which was at the Looking Glass Falls overlook of the Blue Ridge Parkway. The actual scene was a thousand times more majestic, the mountains all bathed in swaths of fluorescent red/gold against dark shadows, but this was my attempt to capture it.
L1kFmWs.jpg

This is from a walk through the forest at a place at pretty high elevation, also off the parkway on the trail from Craggy Gardens to Douglas Falls, in the summer when it's really rainforesty. I got this picture of a shadow falling across a scene of moss and clovers and ferns, which were really striking because they were bathed in a small patch of sunlight in the middle of pretty thick forest.
hCDl8BU.png

After much deliberation, I think this is my favorite of the aforementioned eclipse shadow pics. It looks like hills of light against shadow as if seen from a great height.
t6nrFDv.png

Last edited:
Annie, my first love. Young and full of life. 13 now. Still love her, but she's on borrowed time and a shadow of her former self...

fgQSNQd.jpg

Thanks xorkoth :)

these are not submissions, just wanted to show everyone how she looks now.

NSFW:
LtF6D4x.jpg

MpUuEF0.jpg

CFC that's stunning. I'm gonna have to get out and actually go forth and seek for something nice to photograph.

I don't get out much so this could be tricky.

Me either... mine was the back lot at work lol.

To mal, she's a beautiful old girl, those eyes still have a lot of life man.

Tubbs it's work or home for me.

Can't have my phone at work. Anyway, we are the shadows there.

Lol I hung around some sketchy places on meth, and had a tendency to take weird random pics. We used to hide out in this old farmhouse and use, got crazy after a few days... pretty sure it was haunted.

Me either... mine was the back lot at work lol.

To mal, she's a beautiful old girl, those eyes still have a lot of life man.

She has her good days and bad days. She's still my baby tho < 3 always will be

Last edited:
Really like the pic CFC, how'd you get that effect?

To bits, he was adorable.

Thanks! I put it through a photoshop filter but I can't remember which one. I wish I could as I really liked playing with it.

[edit] It was the 'cutout' filter.

t6nrFDv.png

This is very cool Xorkoth! I had no idea an eclipse would do that. I watched the total eclipse of 1999 in the UK but don't remember any of these shadows.

t6nrFDv.png

This is very cool Xorkoth! I had no idea an eclipse would do that. I watched the total eclipse of 1999 in the UK but don't remember any of these shadows.

Seems like most people don't notice them, somehow. I saw them when I was 11 during a partial solar eclipse, I tried telling my mom (who wad there) and she was like, ok honey that's nice. It was the first thing I noticed during the eclipse last year... I always wondered if I was just a kid imagining things. It's weird, it seems like only maybe 20% of the people I asked about it after the eclipse last year noticed. For me, I spent an hour or so before the totality just staring at and taking pictures of the shadows while everyone else watched it slowly get darker.

Gotta say though, the eclipse was fucking crazy... it was more subtle and somehow more majestic than I expected. I had a professor in college who taught a space science gen ed course I took. He was SO excited about space, it was awesome. About 10 times throughout the course of the class, eclipses would come up, and he'd always be like "Oh, you simply MUST see the totality. It's practically ORGASMIC!!" And everyone would laugh... it made me imagine a huge corona in the sky. Well in reality it was the same size as the sun normally is (duh), but the feeling that happened was insane. One of the craziest moments of my life. All the evening birds/bugs started making their evening sounds about 10 minutes before the totality and then during it it switched to the night sounds and then the dawn/morning sounds right after. And then everything was back to normal. I felt like I was about to lift up out of my body. And I was only tripping a little... :D