Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Way of the Master

Tonberry King

Bluelighter
The gentlest thing in the world
overcomes the hardest thing in the world.
That which has no substance
enters where there is no space.
This shows the value of non-action.

Teaching without words,
performing without actions:
That is the Master's way.

An excerpt from some really old (b.c.) eastern philosophy. We can find translations in English that go by the name of Tao Te Ching. The whole book consists of these short but concise paradoxes. In the simplest way possible it lays out the paradoxical nature of life and muses at the lust of greedy men. Very interesting read if you are into philosophy. Illustrates morality without all the religious dogma, big thumbs up for that.

Last edited:
Fill your bowl to the brim
and it will spill.
Keep sharpening your knife
and it will blunt.
Chase after money and security
and your heart will never unclench.
Care about people's approval
and you will be their prisoner.

Do your work and step back.
The only path to serenity.

I really enjoyed the Tao Te Ching. They call it the Tao, pronounced Dow.

Lots of good wisdom in here! Very simple and powerful. Also, non offensive to people who don't like organized religions.

Nice passages you posted. I needed those today. Thanks. ❤️

Stop thinking, and end your problems.
What difference between yes and no?
What difference between success and failure?
Must you value what others value,
avoid what others avoid?
How ridiculous!

Other people are excited,
as though they were at a parade.
I alone don't care,
I alone am expressionless,
like an infant before it can smile.

Other people have what they need;
I alone possess nothing.
I alone drift about,
like someone without a home.
I am like an idiot, my mind is so empty.

Other people are bright;
I alone am dark.
Other people are sharp;
I alone am dull.
Other people have purpose;
I alone don't know.
I drift like a wave on the ocean,
I blow as aimless as the wind.

I am different from ordinary people.
I drink from the Great Mother's breasts.

Simplicity, patience, compassion.
These three are your greatest treasures.
Simple in actions and thoughts, you return to the source of being.
Patient with both friends and enemies,
you accord with the way things are.
Compassionate toward yourself,
you reconcile all beings in the world.

For some reason I read all 'wisdom' passages as a passive aggressive read of human nature. Alan Watts pulls it off though

This is very much a saying that is worth committing to memory, never heard it before either.
"it is only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence"

I just really like the way this ancient text is written. Subtle yet powerful.

all streams flow to the sea because it is lower than they are. humility gives it its power. if you want to govern the people, you must place yourself below them. if you want to lead the people, you must learn how to follow them.

I spent years immersed in Buddhism and Daoism and I found, in the end, they undermined my life force energy. If you look at the historical roots of Buddhism and Daoism, they came from cultures that suffered political oppression and violent military defeats, along with violent in-fighting. Tibet is a prime example... its history is incredibly violent.

I've noticed - and maybe this is a coincidence - that a lot of eastern philosophy on the nature of surrender to "The Way" or Emptiness tends to also correspond to how the defeated revert to passivity and acceptance when they can't change their circumstances.

The deeper meanings are important... about the nature of reality... but the superficial applications look a lot like taking suffering while sitting down. In Daoism in particular, it dissolves you no matter which choice you make.

I don't look at this as if it has any practical application but the deeper meanings are what attracts me to a lot of the eastern philosophy. I view it less as a form of passivity but more so as a form of eastern stoicism. I interpret it as a guide to center yourself and become one with your physical. A guide to learn yourself, your nature, and to act naturally. I don't see it as discouraging action but to learn to allow your actions to come from your center. To allow your actions to become automatic, similar to professional athletes, without thinking or intention. I don't interpret this to be surrendering to "the way" but rather embracing who you are as an individual. The way is, to me, about what is inside and has little to do with the external. It is to listen to the instinct and intuition in order to draw out your true potential without the cumbersome burden of thought.