Is Washing Your Hands Really Necessary After Taking A Dump?

I had a great therapist I saw for over 10 years, and while I don't think my issues are the same as Specified's, this therapist would tell me things like he saw them, and I could guarantee if I told him I didn't wipe my hands after taking a shit and asked his opinion he would tell me that that is unsanitary and that his recommendation is I start washing my hands after going to the bathroom and that if other people knew that they'd also consider it unsanitary.

From the way you describe therapy as "face up on the casting couch" it sounds like you haven't been in therapy yourself if that is how you always imagine it.

Tons of people who you'd never imagine as having therapists and who don't have issues that seem so "serious" get weekly therapy, and nothing is off limits for discussion. I've seen multiple therapists and never once did I lie on a couch, I sat in a chair. It sounds like what you are describing is typical Freudian therapy out of the movies, which exists, but it's not all like that.

So no offense, but I very much disagree that a therapist worth their salt would "not react".

It's a good therapists' job, if asked, to respond to just about anything from the most benign to the most serious and tell you their honest professional opinion and give you advice.

I've certainly asked therapists FAR more inconsequential questions than this one and gotten their opinion on it.

Therapy is not only for serious issues.

It was a joke about the casting couch if anything to which you repond with a totally humourless overreaction and bunch of assumptions. :\ Thanks for explaining why opinions I don't even have are wrong though.

I'm not going to dicksize with a stranger about having been to therapy, but I simply suggest you discuss why you've needed to argue about this particular issue for the last few months the next time you go.

the second rule of fight club is we do not talk about fight club.

this is the second time it's happened today "Which means a lot of you have been breaking the first two rules of Fight Club."

Just speaking of myself but i literally have OCD relating to washing my hands after going to the bathroom. Or touching anything dirty for that matter, i couldn't imagine a world without soap. The level of thought i put into this probably isn't entirely healthy.

My hands get really dried out and i have to use pretty strong lotion. One of my friends laughed at me and said what do you think your a doctor going in for surgery :\

It's my philosophy that the filthier you are, the better immune system you develop.

I haven't been sick for years, and i have what some would consider "unhealthy" routines, which include not washing my hands unless it's dripping, wet diarrhea.

It's my philosophy that the filthier you are, the better immune system you develop.

I haven't been sick for years, and i have what some would consider "unhealthy" routines, which include not washing my hands unless it's dripping, wet diarrhea.

I don't think your logic is totally correct.

Sure, a healthy immune system needs to be challenged to an extent and that's why we are finding that anti-bacterial soap isn't so good for your immune system, but using regular soap and warm water when you take a shit is totally the best thing to do.

Plus, it's not just about you but everyone else you touch.

Anyone who doesn't wash their hands after shitting and ends up shaking hands with others or touching things they touch is being selfish.

It was a joke about the casting couch if anything to which you repond with a totally humourless overreaction and bunch of assumptions. :\ Thanks for explaining why opinions I don't even have are wrong though.

I'm not going to dicksize with a stranger about having been to therapy, but I simply suggest you discuss why you've needed to argue about this particular issue for the last few months the next time you go.

Whoa, I'm not trying to dicksize, so sorry if you thought I was being a dick.

I didn't realize you were being sarcastic.

My friends joke with me all the time about not reading sarcasm even in person and online I suck at it ten times worse.

I couldn't know you didn't mean that.

I mean there could be lots of people who think you shouldn't bring up such an issue with a therapist and I was just saying why I disagree.

I wasn't being a dick about it.

Actually, you are one of my favorite mods on this forum and I really like reading a lot of your posts and advice.

I don't have a therapist at the moment, but I don't know, the idea that people think it's cool not to wash their hands after shitting kind of annoys me.

I guess I just am surprised that people would think it's ok to walk around touching things other people touch after not washing.

No need to get so pissed about it.

I thought we had a difference of opinion which we didn't have.

No biggie.

Last edited:
Just speaking of myself but i literally have OCD relating to washing my hands after going to the bathroom. Or touching anything dirty for that matter, i couldn't imagine a world without soap. The level of thought i put into this probably isn't entirely healthy.

My hands get really dried out and i have to use pretty strong lotion. One of my friends laughed at me and said what do you think your a doctor going in for surgery :\

Yeah, I have a cousin who does that and that's the other side of it and that's not great either.

I mean if we washed our hands every time we touched anything dirty we'd spend our whole lives standing over a sink.

Everything in moderation, even though I don't really live by that rule as much as I should lol.

Whoa, I'm not trying to dicksize, so sorry if you thought I was being a dick.

I didn't realize you were being sarcastic.

My friends joke with me all the time about not reading sarcasm even in person and online I suck at it ten times worse.

I couldn't know you didn't mean that.

I mean there could be lots of people who think you shouldn't bring up such an issue with a therapist and I was just saying why I disagree.

I wasn't being a dick about it.

Actually, you are one of my favorite mods on this forum and I really like reading a lot of your posts and advice.

I don't have a therapist at the moment, but I don't know, the idea that people think it's cool not to wash their hands after shitting kind of annoys me.

I guess I just am surprised that people would think it's ok to walk around touching things other people touch after not washing.

No need to get so pissed about it.

I thought we had a difference of opinion which we didn't have.

No biggie.

We shall call it a misunderstanding, I certainly don't want to further interrupt this goddamn bizarre thread :D

We shall call it a misunderstanding, I certainly don't want to further interrupt this goddamn bizarre thread :D

LOL.

Hey, the guy is actually thinking about washing his hands now so I may have converted him.

Yeah, this thread is pretty great haha.

Plus, it's not just about you but everyone else you touch.

Anyone who doesn't wash their hands after shitting and ends up shaking hands with others or touching things they touch is being selfish.

It would help challenge their immune system as well.

I agree in that warm water would be the best solution. Something that doesn't leave you disgusting but also has the potential to upgrade your immune system and keep your friends and family shit free.

Not when you to shake the boss's hands and say "Thanks very much for everything. You are a sound bloke."

I said I would think about it, not actually do it, so don't get your hopes up if that's what you were trying to do, that is get your hopes up, or were you trying to somehow (I don't know how) convert me to wash my hands?
LOL.

Hey, the guy is actually thinking about washing his hands now so I may have converted him.

Yeah, this thread is pretty great haha.

I'm hygienic as much as possible with howard hughes ocd. (What about the dirty of getting clean). I force myself to get through it but i do not feel like i am luxuriating.

I've broken out in sores (not herpes) twice in my life on my skin because of filth and low immune system during particularly barely survival scenarios and it freaked me the fuck out. I thought i was dying or something.

I wash my hands. The last time i didnt the restroom was so nasty there was no way getting out wasn't better.

Yeah, I can relate for sure. I wash at times, if it's convenient but don't really see it as a must unless it's either visibly on my hand or like you said, I obviously have something. It just depends, but these days sometimes I do in fact wash my hands...... yet I agree that it really isn't an absolute necessity. I hardly ever get sick, and even when I didn't wash at all, I still didn't get sick much.

I'm slowly being converted though but not to p
The full extent I may leave small traces of poo on them with enough time to properley buy a Bidet off ebay.

Just a few questions 1. I don't see a bidet as a cleaner compared to paper because you can always slip with your hand and leave a little bit of poo on your finger/hand/fingers, and it depends on how much poo
You get on your hands.
Thankyou.

How much toilet paper do you use
I use the hole roĺl because I'm afraid of getting poo on my thumb. I dont know why it always gets on my thumb but it just does

I scrunch it up into little balls then once most of it is gone I fold to save paper.....also to prevent the toilet from getting clogged. I've clogged the toilet a few times and it's not a pretty sight. When I flush the toilet the water runs right to the top of the bowl it almost tips over the bowl and you can hear this noise of all the paper going down the hole.

How much toilet paper do you use
I use the hole roĺl because I'm afraid of getting poo on my thumb. I dont know why it always gets on my thumb but it just does

I scrunch it up into little balls then once most of it is gone I fold to save paper.....also to prevent the toilet from getting clogged. I've clogged the toilet a few times and it's not a pretty sight. When I flush the toilet the water runs right to the top of the bowl it almost tips over the bowl and you can hear this noise of all the paper going down the hole.

you're weak

use the toilet itself, no brainer

Don't over-wash. I've done this. Your hands start to produce more oil and are harder to stay clean. I'm saying if you go to the toilet a lot, like me about 20+ times a day. Just hold them under warm water to rinse off and the times when they're dirty (maybe 5 or 6 times in a day) lather with soap and wash

This works for me and I haven't had a virus since I was a boy

I've been promising myself since yesterday that I wouldn't ask but, me being me, just cannot help myself! Lol!

Any particular reason for this (if you don't mind my asking)? Please tell me it's not a #2 every day every time as that'd not leave much time for anything else.
Sure that would be terrible; the second part. Maybe I'd be unable to sit after a while, hehe

I meant #1 and as you've probably guessed I drink liquids throughout the day, mainly water but also tea and coffee. If I break this down to an average, I drink 2 small bottles of water, a cup of coffee and a cup of tea. Thinking about it though, I just go more than most people because that amount isn't very much. It's not that there's anything wrong. There's always a lot of output. I admit, I sometimes wonder where it all comes from but the end result can only be a good thing