Is Washing Your Hands Really Necessary After Taking A Dump?

I find this kind of crazy coming from a mod...but just as a hypothetical, if you were a doctor, and you were told you WEREN'T allowed to wear rubber gloves while doing surgery, would you do surgery on someone with your bare hands after not washing them after taking a shit?

What does being a mod have to do with it?

Is it ever a good idea to wash your hands?

And if so, when?

I take showers because I don't to walk around reeking of BO. In fact, I shower every morning. Plus, I enjoy showering, and it's very much a part of my morning routine. So, I wash my hands then. Though, on most/more than 50% of days, I take a dump after I shower and thus don't wash and have had no problems.

I also wash my hands sometimes simply because other people are watching me, and I don't want people to think I'm some sort of disgusting pig (which I'm not) simply because I never bought into the "always wash after using the bathroom" logic. Also, if I see someone who is visibly sick and has coughed on a surface that I handled, I'll wash. Other than that, if I don't have reason to believe that there are bacteria/viruses are on my hands that could produce symptoms (e.g. I just shook hands with someone who told me they have the flu/a cold), I have no reason to suspect that there's anything potentially illness-producing on my hands...... and I don't wash. Also, if I happen to be sick with anything (which is very uncommon for me as I said), I wash after taking a dump even if no one is watching simply because I wouldn't want to spread what I have to others. But if I'm well, like I said, I only wash my hands if I have reason to believe I was exposed to something. I don't usually wash before I eat either. I hardly ever get sick though, so for me anyways, this whole "wash your hands all the time" is a load of crap pardon the pun.

Last edited:
Hey, guys and gals (errmmmm... ladies and gents).
Just wanted to see how many of us appreciate what DHEC posts in any/all service-related public restrooms (optimally).
I have hands-on over 90% of the product that leaves our kitchen. I wash my hands after taking a restroom-break as well as having sanitizer and clean water at my station (which I use constantly) .
Guess the question would be:
Who now would argue on the side that I need not wash-up after bathroom breaks or handling raw Italian sausage?
dhec.jpg

Wash your hands every single time you dump dude
Ffs
Short and sweet. :)

.... now have Toilets with LIDS that close because its been proven that flushing the toilet releases a bunch of misty-poop-water into the air thereby contaminating EVERY surface inside the stall
I will never look at another bathroom the same again for the rest of my life.... scarred, thank you. ;)

Last edited:
Serious question. I will admit that I do not always wash. I just never really made it a habit. I do when people will notice that I haven't washed as many people find the thought of someone not washing their hands after doing their business disgusting, and thus if I'm in a public restroom I'll wash if someone else is in there. Otherwise, I won't. On occasion, I've seen people leave and not wash, in which case I was not self-conscious about not washing so I wouldn't wash. However, if I am at home, I rarely wash. But is there really anything inherently wrong with this? I rarely get sick.

I'm sorry but that's fucking disgusting.

Why the fuck would you not wash your hands after using the bathroom, especially if you have taken a shit and wiped your ass with toilet paper or done what they do in Muslim countries with a bidet or water, and just the left hand? Do you not wash your hands before eating, or after being out in the public with a lot of people? Have you never been properly toilet trained? Or do you not know basic fucking hygiene? Do you have a desire to get sick or something? Are you Muslim or do you practise Islam?

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmuslim/comments/7p49wq/apparently_i_have_to_finger_myself/

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/vdp838/how-clean-is-your-arse

Last edited:
Yeah but what about just peeing ? Sometimes i don't wash my hands after peeing specially if it's cold..

^I don't think that's as big of a deal. I admit that I don't always. Unless I splash myself of course :)

I'm not a troll but yes it's a good idea to wash your hands after touching shit.

But not when wiping your ass, because you assume that no one ever gets shit on their hands when wiping their ass, or at least that if they can't see it's not there?

What about if you scratch your ass (like fingers inserted).

Should you wash your hands then?

This will probably get some laughs, but I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has scratched his ass before, and let me tell you, if your finger is going up there it's getting shit on it and should be washed.

It would be pretty weird for you to say that you should wash your hands when scratching but not when wiping, so I'm interested to hear your response here...

What does being a mod have to do with it?

I guess it really shouldn't have anything to do with it, but I sort of hoped that being granted permission to give HR advice on this site would mean that someone would also realize the importance of washing your hands.

I mean hand washing is HR for life basically.

He didn't even answer if he'd do surgery if he didn't wash his hands, which makes me guess he wouldn't, and realizes it's unsanitary.

But not when wiping your ass, because you assume that no one ever gets shit on their hands when wiping their ass, or at least that if they can't see it's not there?

What about if you scratch your ass (like fingers inserted).

Should you wash your hands then?

This will probably get some laughs, but I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has scratched his ass before, and let me tell you, if your finger is going up there it's getting shit on it and should be washed.

It would be pretty weird for you to say that you should wash your hands when scratching but not when wiping, so I'm interested to hear your response here...

Scratch my ass? Wtf? People do that? No I don't wash my hands after having my fingers inserted in my ass because I don't do it. Makes me wonder you don't wipe properly or something if you get an itchy asshole I mean what the fuck?

I find this kind of crazy coming from a mod...but just as a hypothetical, if you were a doctor, and you were told you WEREN'T allowed to wear rubber gloves while doing surgery, would you do surgery on someone with your bare hands after not washing them after taking a shit?

Yeah I'm a mod and I'm a fucked up degenerate wanker. Sue me? To answer your hypothetical question, no I wouldn't perform a surgery without first scrubbing and having gloves on. Who the fuck would? That's so off-league it's ridiculous. Taking a shit, having all this particulate matter on your hands full of pathogens, and then going in touching the internal organs of somebody means for the most part avoiding their primary mechanism of protection from bacteria and other pathogens - the stomach. Since when I shit and eat I don't avoid it, and given my pretty good immunity given years of this practice, I dare say it's pretty a-ok.

I guess it will come as a sort of a surprise to you that I used to work (resuming soon) in organic synthesis in chemistry where cleanliness is very important, and I always work with clean hands and with gloves.

The OP question was "is washing your hands really necessary after taking a dump?". The answer is no. Me and many more in this thread, including the OP, don't, and we're bloody fine. And that answers the "really necessary" part.

^I don't think that's as big of a deal. I admit that I don't always. Unless I splash myself of course :)

Wipe it on your pants. That's what I do. Yeah I'm a fucking animal.

I'm sorry but that's fucking disgusting.

Why the fuck would you not wash your hands after using the bathroom, especially if you have taken a shit and wiped your ass with toilet paper or done what they do in Muslim countries with a bidet or water, and just the left hand? Do you not wash your hands before eating, or after being out in the public with a lot of people? Have you never been properly toilet trained? Or do you not know basic fucking hygiene? Do you have a desire to get sick or something? Are you Muslim or do you practise Islam?

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmuslim/comments/7p49wq/apparently_i_have_to_finger_myself/

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/vdp838/how-clean-is-your-arse

Exactly LOL, I find it so disgusting. You know human live longer these days for a reason. We keep gaining knowledge. We know about hygiene and we try our best to improve our daily lives through inventing new technologies as well as staying healthy and having a good hygiene. God from now on,
I won't shake anyone's hands...That is too disgusting...

Yeah I'm a mod and I'm a fucked up degenerate wanker. Sue me? To answer your hypothetical question, no I wouldn't perform a surgery without first scrubbing and having gloves on. Who the fuck would? That's so off-league it's ridiculous. Taking a shit, having all this particulate matter on your hands full of pathogens, and then going in touching the internal organs of somebody means for the most part avoiding their primary mechanism of protection from bacteria and other pathogens - the stomach. Since when I shit and eat I don't avoid it, and given my pretty good immunity given years of this practice, I dare say it's pretty a-ok.

I guess it will come as a sort of a surprise to you that I used to work (resuming soon) in organic synthesis in chemistry where cleanliness is very important, and I always work with clean hands and with gloves.

The OP question was "is washing your hands really necessary after taking a dump?". The answer is no. Me and many more in this thread, including the OP, don't, and we're bloody fine. And that answers the "really necessary" part.

I mean hey man, you are free not to wipe, BUT...basically you are acknowledging it's dirty and not the most sanitary thing to do or you WOULD say it's totally fine to do surgery on someone after not wiping after a shit.

If you truly believed it was equally sanitary to not wipe after taking a shit you'd make the argument that you could do surgery and it would be fine, so you aren't crazy, you just don't like to wash your hands LOL.

So the "is it necessary" question begs the 2nd question "necessary for who? what do you do for a living? What do you do on a daily basis that involves cross contamination with others?" and if it IS necessary for certain people like doctors, and you also admitted it was necessary as a chemist, well, you can make an argument it could potentially be necessary for other people. At the very least, you have already basically admitted, without wanting to, that it's the less safe thing and less healthy thing to do. So "necessary"? Shit, lots of things might not be 100% required to stay alive but they sure as hell are a good idea. There's always the odd person who smokes and drinks and takes all the dumb drugs we do and does everything wrong and lives to be 100, but making the argument that because that's POSSIBLE means it's the smartest thing to do is a slippery slope. So yeah...it's not healthy not washing your hands after taking a shit, and it's pretty much proven, so just cause you are still alive and don't wash your hands doesn't prove much. So you think your immunity is better than most? Great. There are people who gain immunity to certain type of venoms and toxins through lifetime exposure that will kill most people so what's your story prove? Sorry, but nothing.

So how about instead of "necessary" we change the question to "is washing your hands after taking a shit the healthier and more sanitary choice?" and the answer is a resounding "YES"! on all accounts, even your own.

Do your own thing man, just don't make a sandwich for me anytime soon ;)

Last edited:
@Myco: I don't pretend it's sanitary. I explained my reasoning in my first post in this thread. In short: constant exposure to low-to-moderate levels of pathogens rises immunity, which results in 2 important things:

1) My immune system is used to this daily influx of pathogens and deals with them with ease
2) My immune system is overall stronger compared to those who live too clean a lifestyle, so in incidents where I'm exposed to a large quantity of pathogens, I'm more equipped to deal with it

You know, so far this has worked. I'm very rarely if ever ill.

I see no big deal in not washing hands after taking a dump.

What about if you came over to my house and I had jus? done a massive dump not washed my hands then started making you dinner with massaging a steak all over with my bare hands and marinade?

Scratch my ass? Wtf? People do that? No I don't wash my hands after having my fingers inserted in my ass because I don't do it. Makes me wonder you don't wipe properly or something if you get an itchy asshole I mean what the fuck?

This is one of the funniest posts I've ever read on this site.

Hey, I'm just a dirty wanker. No judgement from me :D

2) My immune system is overall stronger compared to those who live too clean a lifestyle, so in incidents where I'm exposed to a large quantity of pathogens, I'm more equipped to deal with it

You know, so far this has worked. I'm very rarely if ever ill.

Hmm. I don't think you can definitively link those things. There is no real evidence that your immune system is stronger, less so BECAUSE you don't wash after the toilet.

Certainly, exposure to pathogens can boost the immune system. You'd need to ingest enough to provoke an immune response, better known as "getting sick". ;)

You do you mate :)