Brief redirect using BL site....

good to know, thanks for merging my thread, I mainly hang out in other drugs/BDD/Darkside so it was all brand new to me. It's really not a big deal, it doesn't take that long and if it keeps Bluelight up I'm alright with it. Ddosers are basically anyone, and I can imagine some hyper-anti-drug people or just someone rubbed the wrong way for misinterpreting a response to their post as an attack to be rash enough to do sit like that. I mean, almost every sight has to worry about it, and with the nature of bluelight I imagine it'd be a pretty big target for this kind of stuff.

and I like to believe people are mostly good, but I could see some future moderator getting snubbed for something and then trying to blast bluelight off the internet for some petty stuff.

While I don't know, I tend to doubt these attacks are much to do with anyone who actually uses bluelight or drug politics.

All websites that are above a certain level of public visibility experience such attacks. Why do people do that? Sometimes it may be that the affected site isn't even the intended target. Just running from the same server as somewhere that is. Sometimes it's just that people enjoy the feeling of power it gives them. And yes, sometimes it really is personal where the wrong person wound up with a grudge. But it's the least likely possibility.

It's not impossible, but I doubt it has anything to do with drug politics. It's not impossible, given that some attacks are undertaken by the ticking time bombs of intelligence and immaturity that are gifted 12 year olds appointing themselves internet vigilantes (script kiddies). But the most likely explanation is that this isn't a personal grudge or politically motivated relating to drugs.

I mean, the type to conduct illegal denial of service attacks doesn't have a lot of overlap with the moralistic 40 year old mothers against everything type.

Didn't happen today maybe it's done

Interesting. OK so yes, you're right. I just tested it, and the server is now sending back the page without the clearance cookie. So you're right it's fixed.

I say interesting because, it's still not entirely back to normal. For anyone who knows what the following means and is interested. A week ago I ran some tests related to the unicode rendering problem. When I did that, I got the pages back without sending a user agent. Now, I can't. If I don't send a user agent it sends me some cloud flare page saying "unknown connection issue". Doesn't seem to care whatsoever what the user agent says, so long as it says something.

Probably something related to a change in security settings since then. Doesn't matter though, it still means everything should be back to normal, I just found it curious and thought I should mention it in case it's of note to anyone.

The important part is its switched off now. So the problems fixed. No more challenge page.

Last edited:
we've removed the interstitial cloudflare page as things seem to have dropped off a bit.

the fact is we get attacked like this from time to time, and it's almost impossible to determine the source. the nature of ddos attacks is that they come from multiple sources.

alasdair

yeah good point, some people could do stuff like this just for fun, or people trying to squeeze
some $$$$ out of web hosts

Only an idiot would pay to stop a denial of service attack.

Mr. Alisdair, sir, on the other hand you have angry people saying rude things on a regular basis on at least two sites. In my intermittent time lurking I admit to having seen only a fraction of the likely discontent; but however I still fail to see the origin of such consistent opprobrium. Would they not be the likely candidates for such behavior, and as such, worthy, as it were, of outreach?