• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Xanax ; Memory Loss

yonhyakunijuu

Greenlighter
Last night I used 2.5mg of Alprazolam (Xanax) .
It was a one off occasion. I study super hard which requires me to memorize ridiculous amounts of information.
Does Alprazolam typically cause memory issues after one time usage like I did ??
Or, do I need to be taking it for a few weeks or so for that to happen?
I can remember most of last night , I went to sleep really early and slept pretty much as soon as my head hit the pillow
and now I just have a headache. My friend just told me that 2.5mg is an EXTREMELY high dosage and I'm lucky that I woke up this morning ..
Is it possible that I like starved myself of oxygen while I was passed out or anything ?
Maybe it sounds ridiculous but I have no clue how Alprazolam works or anything and obviously having I need my memory to be crystal clear if I have any hopes of passing uni this semester .

Any help/info would be much appreciated

2.5mg is a pretty high dosage for someone new to xanax but you are not "lucky you woke up." Benzos very rarely cause overdose deaths on their own because the lethal dose is way way above the dose that would just knock you out, the LD50 for xanax is at least in the couple hundred milligram range.

Yes xanax will cause memory issues especially at a dose as high as the one you took. Xanax is not going to be good for your study as it does cause short term memory problems.

Thanks for your reply!
Is it possible that a one off experience like that would actually affect my memory ?
When you say short term memory loss do you mean like during the duration of the effects or after or both ??
Sorry for to bombard you with questions and i highly appreciate your help and opinion!
I guess the best thing I can do at this stage is not repeat the experience .
Thankyou

Absolutely, no problem. I'm happy to answer your questions.

In my experience a one off experience like this might have you feeling a little hazy for a day or two after but it's not gonna do any long term harm.

The memory problems from benzos primarily happen while you are on them, so they induce amnesia but don't continue to cause it after cessation.