Bluelight

Thread: Zeprexa for sleep

1. Collapse Details
    Zeprexa for sleep 
    Wots a good dose for sleep disorders. I dont want to go down the benzo route. Thank you for any replies

2. Collapse Details

Basic Drug Discussion
    I don't think this is a good drug for sleep. It has a half life of over 30 hours which means if you take it everyday it's going to build up in your system. Also it's probably going to give you a bunch of unwanted side effects that come with antipsychotic drug use.

3. Collapse Details

Zyprexa was prob the only drug ever to knock me out. But it also made me sleepy all day and gain like 40 pounds. If you do use a antipsychotic id try using lower doses to minimize the d2 antagonism

4. Collapse Details

Basic Drug Discussion
    Homeless & Anonymous
    Olanzapine is not meant for off-label usage unless your doctor prescribed it this way. Double check with him to make sure it's okay.

5. Collapse Details

I could not find one single study showing olanzapine was effective off label for insomnia on pubmed.

6. Collapse Details

Well serquel is used for putting people to sleep! And zeprexa is sort of the same medication very sedating. Ive just looked on drugs.com and it gets a 7.5/ 10 for insomnia.

7. Collapse Details

Basic Drug Discussion
    Homeless & Anonymous
    I don't feel comfortable telling you to go ahead and take Zyprexa for insomnia unless they are prescribed to you. That's why I advised you to bring this up to your physician. I'm going to move this over to Mental Health and maybe someone can compare the pros and cons.

8. Collapse Details

olanapine or zyprexa is used for schizophrenia, bi polar and depression among others.

pill form some people experience negative side effects. injection the side effects are very bad.

pill form would leave you foggy, lethargic and not yourself. if you take AP's without a reason too then your going to have the possibility of chemical imbalance. i don't care what studies say, i've seen people get mental illness temporary and long term from taking psych meds when they have no need to.

disclaimers aside... try something else.

otc that people like to use for sleep include benadryl with diphenhydramine in it and nyquil.

natural remedies are out there and include serotonin.

google some safer alternatives. zyprexa is not worth it. and yes i took the pill form. over 125mg everyday for a year or two. there are other symptoms like weight gain, sever headaches, mood swings and other factors involved.

• Tryptophan and serotonin foods.
    • Calcium.
    • Magnesium.
    • Essential oils.
    • Passion flower.
    • Valerian root.
    • St. John's wort.

9. Collapse Details

I work in the mental health field...Zyprexa is often used for insomnia, especially at a lower dose. It's been my experience that most people like the med and find it helpful for sleep problems.

10. Collapse Details

Basic Drug Discussion
    Seems kind of like a sick joke or overkill to use antipsychotics purely as sleep meds, but maybe that's just my perspective.

11. Collapse Details

^ agreed. mental health is playing fast and loose with prescriptions today. hence why so many people are complaining of negative side effects/withdrawal symptoms. swatting a fly with a vacuum cleaner or car is comparable to using psych meds to get rid of headaches or sleep problems.

p.s. got any crappuccino as an offering for the great cornholio?!

to the room: there is a thread on it that might be of some interest to anyone. it's a sticky located in mental health forum - psychiatric treatment debates vs trot out your medication bias and lemme at it.though it's not for temporary remedies like OP is asking about.

12. Collapse Details

^^^ Ohhh, how much can I say, "I agree"! Benzos are currently out of fashion, so yeah...use AP's instead. Makes a helluva lotta sense. AP's, with their severe and sometimes permanent side-effects. BUUUUT better than getting high on those evil benzos, right? Am I right? Fuuuc k.

I'm prescribed 50 mg Seroquel for sleep. I take 25 mg just so I can sleep. I would LIKE to take 4 K-pin, instead.

13. Collapse Details

Mental Health

Dose really does matter, though. Many substances have additional manners of working as the dosage is increased beyond a certain point. This is to say that antipsychotics are usually given in much lower doses to people with bipolar, as opposed to schizophrenia. In addition, there are antipsychotics approved for bipolar depression, including Seroquel, that dont act very much on the D2 receptor, which is the action that is largely responsible for feeling overly treated and tranquilized.

It takes a large dose to cause tardive dyskinesia, matter of fact. Furthermore, it is this D2 blockage of high dose antipsychotics that link to that possible side effect, mostly the first generation (typical) ones.

As I pointed out in another thread, a medication that gets one high is the wrong kind and/or dosage of the given medication.

The label has a terribly negative connotation. Just as the labels for mental illness.

14. Collapse Details

Drugs in the Media
    I stay away from this drug.

I count back from 100 to get back to bed.
    Last edited by Ho-Chi-Minh; 13-05-2018 at 03:09. Reason: no medical directions

15. Collapse Details

If you don't wanna go down the benzo route, go for mirtazapine or trazodone.