• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Zeprexa for sleep

femaletrouble

Bluelighter
Wots a good dose for sleep disorders. I dont want to go down the benzo route. Thank you for any replies

I don't think this is a good drug for sleep. It has a half life of over 30 hours which means if you take it everyday it's going to build up in your system. Also it's probably going to give you a bunch of unwanted side effects that come with antipsychotic drug use.

Zyprexa was prob the only drug ever to knock me out. But it also made me sleepy all day and gain like 40 pounds. If you do use a antipsychotic id try using lower doses to minimize the d2 antagonism

Olanzapine is not meant for off-label usage unless your doctor prescribed it this way. Double check with him to make sure it's okay.

I could not find one single study showing olanzapine was effective off label for insomnia on pubmed.

Well serquel is used for putting people to sleep! And zeprexa is sort of the same medication very sedating. Ive just looked on drugs.com and it gets a 7.5/ 10 for insomnia.

I don't feel comfortable telling you to go ahead and take Zyprexa for insomnia unless they are prescribed to you. That's why I advised you to bring this up to your physician. I'm going to move this over to Mental Health and maybe someone can compare the pros and cons.

I work in the mental health field...Zyprexa is often used for insomnia, especially at a lower dose. It's been my experience that most people like the med and find it helpful for sleep problems.

Seems kind of like a sick joke or overkill to use antipsychotics purely as sleep meds, but maybe that's just my perspective.

^^^ Ohhh, how much can I say, "I agree"! Benzos are currently out of fashion, so yeah...use AP's instead. Makes a helluva lotta sense. AP's, with their severe and sometimes permanent side-effects. BUUUUT better than getting high on those evil benzos, right? Am I right? Fuuuc k.

I'm prescribed 50 mg Seroquel for sleep. I take 25 mg just so I can sleep. I would LIKE to take 4 K-pin, instead.

Dose really does matter, though. Many substances have additional manners of working as the dosage is increased beyond a certain point. This is to say that antipsychotics are usually given in much lower doses to people with bipolar, as opposed to schizophrenia. In addition, there are antipsychotics approved for bipolar depression, including Seroquel, that dont act very much on the D2 receptor, which is the action that is largely responsible for feeling overly treated and tranquilized.

It takes a large dose to cause tardive dyskinesia, matter of fact. Furthermore, it is this D2 blockage of high dose antipsychotics that link to that possible side effect, mostly the first generation (typical) ones.

As I pointed out in another thread, a medication that gets one high is the wrong kind and/or dosage of the given medication.

The label has a terribly negative connotation. Just as the labels for mental illness.

I stay away from this drug.

I count back from 100 to get back to bed.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't wanna go down the benzo route, go for mirtazapine or trazodone.