bl staff, policy and process feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those not aware of the history of individuals in this thread complaining about the user agreement and raising so called issues have become persistent trouble makers in the sense they have a history of disregarding and/or flagrantly violating it.

The possibly exceptions are BP and zep, but I am not surprised to see droppers, phr or even scuba (scuba because it’s mighty hard to tell whether it’s her or jah using the account) keeping this alive and from addressing the actual issues this was created to explore.

If anyone has an issue with things in CEP please PM me or another forum mod if you want. I promise to listen.

We are not trying to impose arbitrary rules. We're trying (sometime failing) to make bluelight better for all users. We are imperfect but need the communities assistance to help us improve.

Its just very hard to approach a problem without really understanding it. For this we do need the community to help.

I'm a pm away but this thread could suffice :)

I've been saying it since page 2 of your first thread.

I'm sick of having to be contrite but in the face of unrelenting negativity I am unwilling to add to it anymore.

I actually want to improve things and have repeatedly said this but it's been made very difficult to achieve with wasting time fending off personal insults, and fundamentally not being helped to understand the problem. When are you going to start helping by clarifying your arguments? Thus far, the consensus is that the problems that concern you have been understated and this cannot help but lead to scepticism as to their actual substance or your motivations for bringing this issue up in the first place.

I do not accept that I am hassling or attacking you when I request you substantiate your criticism so please help us progress this particular dilemma without retreating back to that stance. I'm feeling quite put upon too as are all the mods who have copped a bit of criticism as a result of this incident but I'm keen to ignore all of that rather than dwell and ruminate. I'd rather we move ahead rather than stagnate.

Please help. If

phr, you place the blame for a host of issues on my shoulders and i think it's best i don't respond to your complaint.

the site owner reached out to you and offered to hear your concerns. can you perhaps sum up your subsequent discussion with s_g and your takeaways? are you satisfied with the response?

thanks.

alasdair
I'm satisfied, in the sense that I have no expectations, with that response.

I am however truly satisfied with my ability to post what I experienced without it being removed, edited, or censored. Sadly, I'm at a point where that is seen as a win, instead of what it should be: the norm.

For those not aware of the history of individuals in this thread complaining about the user agreement and raising so called issues have become persistent trouble makers in the sense they have a history of disregarding and/or flagrantly violating it.

The possibly exceptions are BP and zep, but I am not surprised to see droppers, phr or even scuba (scuba because it’s mighty hard to tell whether it’s her or jah using the account) keeping this alive and from addressing the actual issues this was created to explore.
Oh shut up. The Lounge, in its entirety which included participation by all levels of staff including owner and current/past admins, can be seen as a violation of the BLUA. When you have something so far reaching that it covers everything that may be offensive, well, it covers everything. To act like someone calling someone else a modfag two years ago is somewhat more "harmful" then even at the time admins calling people faggots 5 years ago, in TL's completely searchable archive, is disingenuous on your part.

Looking at your profile phr, the only posts of yours I see removed have been posts that... wait for it... break the rules.

You seem to have an expectation we will let you do whatever you please on BL. As a former staff member you?d best remember that isn?t how it works. Even in the old TL you had rules, now we are just enforced the rules uniformly across all forums.

You still want to talk about TL? You realize it?s moot? I am happy to see the BLUA more uniformly enforces across the site, you aren?t. Ostensibly this is because you?re no longer allowed to use the forum to ?playfully? called people faggots, niggers or whatever bigotry is popular that day.

I would argue it was always problematic for the BLUA not being enforced in the TL. You were part of a very small group of users who seemed to thrive on it. I understand why we might differ on our feelings about the rules now being enforced there. Besides, you?re still allowed to haze newcomers in TL, you?re just forced to be a little more creative with how edgy you are doing it.

No one was penalized for their behavior prior to the social transition because the rules were allowed to remain unenforced in the old TL. Folks like you ended up picking up infractions once we started enforcing the user agreement in TL and you picked up bans because you refused to play by the ?new? rules... which were actually always the rules even if they hadn?t been enforced much prior to he social transition.

You don?t seem to want to accept that the owners and staff decided to implement the rules that always technically applied in TL. But it happened. Deal with it, or get infracted for breaking the very basic rules when you do, or move on. No one is making you remain a BL user. It sure doesn?t seem like you want to.

I can?t help myself sometime taking your bait to discuss something that is no longer an issue, as in TL and having BLUA enforceable there or not simply is a nonissue. Why keep beating your head against the wall? Move on. I would do better to ignore your off topic posts here so as not to encourage discussion of an issue that is both not up for discussion (as in the BLUA will remain enforceable in TL whether you like it or not and regardless of the bile I spew about us offsite) and only at best tangentially related to the subject of this thread.

This thread isn?t for you phr, or droppers, or jah, or spiteful old now disenfranchised TL users. That is old business and it is not going to get reversed, especially considering how you and the clique handled it (or wasn?t able to handle it). In a way, you voluntarily gave up your chance of this even being a possibility given how you and others handled the transition to enforcing the rules.

This thread is first and formost about BPs concerns, which seems to be moving in the right direction as swilow has decided to step up. Thank you swilow and BP for beginning to move ahead addressing the actual issues at hand!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at your profile phr, the only posts of yours I see removed have been posts that... wait for it... break the rules.

You seem to have an expectation we will let you do whatever you please on BL. As a former staff member you?d best remember that isn?t how it works. Even in the old TL you had rules, now we are just enforced the rules uniformly across all forums.

You still want to talk about TL? You realize it?s moot? I am happy to see the BLUA more uniformly enforces across the site, you aren?t. Ostensibly this is because you?re no longer allowed to use the forum to ?playfully? called people faggots, niggers or whatever bigotry is popular that day.

I would argue it was always problematic for the BLUA not being enforced in the TL. You were part of a very small group of users who seemed to thrive on it. I understand why we might differ on our feelings about the rules now being enforced there. Besides, you?re still allowed to haze newcomers in TL, you?re just forced to be a little more creative with how edgy you are doing it.

No one was penalized for their behavior prior to the social transition because the rules were allowed to remain unenforced in the old TL. Folks like you ended up picking up infractions once we started enforcing the user agreement in TL and you picked up bans because you refused to play by the ?new? rules... which were actually always the rules even if they hadn?t been enforced much prior to he social transition.

You don?t seem to want to accept that the owners and staff decided to implement the rules that always technically applied in TL. But it happened. Deal with it, or get infracted for breaking the very basic rules when you do, or move on. No one is making you remain a BL user. It sure doesn?t seem like you want to.

I can?t help myself sometime taking your bait to discuss something that is no longer an issue, as in TL and having BLUA enforceable there or not simply is a nonissue. Why keep beating your head against the wall? Move on. I would do better to ignore your off topic posts here so as not to encourage discussion of an issue that is both not up for discussion (as in the BLUA will remain enforceable in TL whether you like it or not and regardless of the bile I spew about us offsite) and only at best tangentially related to the subject of this thread.

This thread isn?t for you phr, or droppers, or jah, or spiteful old now disenfranchised TL users. That is old business and it is not going to get reversed, especially considering how you and the clique handled it (or wasn?t able to handle it). In a way, you voluntarily gave up your chance of this even being a possibility given how you and others handled the transition to enforcing the rules.

This thread is first and formost about BPs concerns, which seems to be moving in the right direction as swilow has decided to step up. Thank you swilow and BP for beginning to move ahead addressing the actual issues at hand!

You must have missed my post or chosen to willfully ignore it.

Jah, you’re upset you didn’t get picked to be a mod, I get it. But this isn’t the place, and you’re not doing yourself or scuba any favors getting her account banned too. If you want to become staff, learn not to break the rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
Practically all the people whining here are bigoted jerks, including BP. BL is a great place and imo mods and admins are way too lax on racist scum and rightwing trolls because they want to be as inclusive as possible.

Furthermore BL isn't about you, you self absorbed whiny snowflakes.

I am aware that this is maybe not too constructive, but I cannot be the only regular user being sick and tired of that shit.

To be fair, while I appreciate your frankness and checking in here Bagseed, yes your intuition on this was also correct. Let?s please avoid too much confrontation in terms of insulting one another. Discuss what we find upsetting or unfair, sure, but preferably without attacking the individual. Criticism for what they do, not who they are. Thanks.

Practically all the people whining here are bigoted jerks, including BP. BL is a great place and imo mods and admins are way too lax on racist scum and rightwing trolls because they want to be as inclusive as possible.

I am aware that this is maybe not too constructive, but I cannot be the only regular user being sick and tired of that shit.

attack actions and ideas, not people. and when you posts that are against the guidelines please report them no matter who the poster is, even if its a mod or admin (especially if its a staff member); not knowing about them is a contributor to appearing to be too lax.

Please. Point me to posts where I called people niggers and faggots. Then point me to all of the infractions that I issued and the bans of my TL friends that I've handed out. You really are clueless.

Then, look at my infractions, the context, how egregious my behavior was, compare it to the behavior of other people that did not get infracted, and finally look at the two people that gave me the infractions. Then re-read the lines about "not issuing infractions to someone where it can be seen as personal." Then re-read the part about "senior staff deferring to forum mods" then look and see if there was any discussion about those infractions and deferring to the forum mods. My guess is there wasn't.

The one time there was, the last ban I received, I was talked to by BP. He said if I continue that behavior, again one sided as that behavior was being done to me as well, then I will be banned. I responded with I'll stop the behavior. Lo and behold a week or two later zephyr goes nuts, reports a ton of those posts, and the admin goes over what BP told me to ban me. All after I agreed to stop and heeded the warning my the mod. Again, for behavior that was the norm and the mods didn't say much about, other than warning me to stop. Again, all given to me by one of two people whom it's been nothing but personal between us. I reached out to discuss the ban and I was told "i will not discuss it with you because you don't show respect and discretion." Again, coming from someone who said "i don't care what you do or say off site."

You don't find it ironic that in one post in this thread I've been told, by the ruler of this site, the I'm "lucky not to be permabanned" and then in a post after that "that we don't care what you say off site and don't enforce that."

Man, you're something else.

Not once have I called people those words nor have I campaigned for those words to be used.

I've stated that TL was closed for personal reasons, powers were abused in closing it and running its posters (including myself) off site and that is what this thread is about.

Last edited:
Jah, you?re upset you didn?t get picked to be a mod, I get it. But this isn?t the place, and you?re not doing yourself or scuba any favors getting her account banned too. If you want to become staff, learn not to break the rules.

Why don't you look at my post objectively and try again.

In response to your post though, he was picked. It wouldn't be surprising if you were one of the smooth brains that didn't want him around.

But jah being chosen by peers to volunteer his time to make this place better, only to be disallowed is only a small part of the larger issue that BP has raised.

Why did you insist on making it known the history of the posters who don't see things your way?

Would you take my posts more seriously if I wasn't a girl or dating Jah?

I've stated that TL was closed for personal reasons, powers were abused in closing it and running its posters (including myself) off site and that is what this thread is about.

No, its not. You're trying to take it over make the focus your issue. I do not think the broader user base really cares or is concerned by your particular grievance. The lounge changed, and thats it. Your reaction is well known but not relevant.

This thread was intended to discuss something quite different. It was to address a perception of ideological bias amongst staff.

Please allow us to address this without adding in petty personal beefs.

Why don't you look at my post objectively and try again.

In response to your post though, he was picked. It wouldn't be surprising if you were one of the smooth brains that didn't want him around.

But jah being chosen by peers to volunteer his time to make this place better, only to be disallowed...
jah's behavior after he was not given a staff position just confirms - to any who had doubts - that he was absolutely not suitable for the position.

alasdair

thanks for your replies, tpd and tathra. as I said, my post wasn't very constructive, but I guess I am just frustated about all this inflammatory content by what is effectively a small minority of the BL community. I mean I tried to understand what BP was getting at in this thread and the previous, but to me nothing of it is ever being substantiated or makes sense. so it is pretty hard to talk on an even playing field with people who are seemingly not interested in a constructive discussion.

just my two cents from a non-staff member perspective.

^And a very valuable perspective.<3 so far it's been one sided.

Hopefully the infamous protagonist recovers from his illness and checks back in soon. :)

Well Tbf I did get a permanent infraction overturned as a direct result of this thread, full disclosure.

Now this is what I call “constructive”, and actually showing of a double standard. If I came in here calling all of y’all a bunch of lifeless mayos that don’t understand the ironic or humor, it would not be met with such understanding. Perhaps this thread has run its course if this is the type of stuff we are going to be getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.