• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What would a vistaril overdose feel like?

Jones_Town

Greenlighter
This may be a strange question but does anyone know how a lethal dose of vistaril/atarax would effect the body? What organs would be affected? Would it be similar to a benadryl overdose? Would it be painful? I'm having a hard time finding information on the net about this.

Why do you want to know? If you're having suicidal thoughts please call this number: 1-800-273-8255

I have a pharmacological background and yes you can OD on hydroxyzine. It an antihistamine with several secondary uses i.e.non narcotic anti anxiety option." Yes, you can overdose on Vistaril. The most common manifestation of overdosage of Vistaril is hypersedation. Other reported signs and symptoms were convulsions, stupor, nausea and vomiting. As in the management of overdosage with any drug, it should be borne in mind that multiple agents may have been taken.If vomiting has not occurred spontaneously, it should be induced. Immediate gastric lavage is also recommended. General supportive care, including frequent monitoring of the vital signs and close observation of the patient, is indicated. Hypotension, though unlikely, may be controlled with intravenous fluids and vasopressors (do not use epinephrine as hydroxyzine counteracts its pressor action.) ".......excerpt from well known medication website.{ don't want to infringe on rights or violate trademark rules but if requested I'll gladly finish the foot note)

Also there is no benefit to taking more than prescribed by a practitioner. if you or someone you know of is planning to od please call your local crisis team, 911 or sponsor if in recovery. Im speaking from experience that life does improve and im glad i didnt finish the process

Last edited:
I have a pharmacological background and yes you can OD on hydroxyzine. It an antihistamine with several secondary uses i.e.non narcotic anti anxiety option." Yes, you can overdose on Vistaril. The most common manifestation of overdosage of Vistaril is hypersedation. Other reported signs and symptoms were convulsions, stupor, nausea and vomiting. As in the management of overdosage with any drug, it should be borne in mind that multiple agents may have been taken.If vomiting has not occurred spontaneously, it should be induced. Immediate gastric lavage is also recommended. General supportive care, including frequent monitoring of the vital signs and close observation of the patient, is indicated. Hypotension, though unlikely, may be controlled with intravenous fluids and vasopressors (do not use epinephrine as hydroxyzine counteracts its pressor action.) ".......excerpt from well known medication website.{ don't want to infringe on rights or violate trademark rules but if requested I'll gladly finish the foot note)

Also there is no benefit to taking more than prescribed by a practitioner. if you or someone you know of is planning to od please call your local crisis team, 911 or sponsor if in recovery. Im speaking from experience that life does improve and im glad i didnt finish the process
Thank you for such a detailed answer! This question wasnt regarding suicide. Just curious. Thanks again ?

Vistaril is hydroxyzine which is an sedative antihistamine approved for the treatment of anxiety in adults because not only has the general sedative effect of antihistamine, too has a specific anxiolytic action. But you don't explain if you use it orally in pills or caps or if use the injection form. Orally 10mg is an active dose and the clinical daily dose is until 300mg. Here hydroxyzine has the brand name of Atarax and this is in tablets and in szyroup. The tablets are 10mg and 25mg. Is the only compound specifically anxiolytic able OTC. An overdose can be an extreme sedation or an hallucinogenic state such as other antihistamines like diphenidramine