• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Medical detox from bup to go to rehab

fb3z

Greenlighter
The state of WA has me on the list for medical detox from 16mgs daily of suboxone the last 7 months for IV heroin use, (I cut down to 8 yesterday) and a 5th a day alcohol, (rum), they told me 10 day detox because of the sub, once out of there I'll see my GP for clonidine, gabapentin, ...etc for on going WD symptoms, a day after that - a 10 hour flight from WA to NY. My question is with only 12 days off the booze and bup, going direct to rehab, (St. Judes, NY), will I be still be in such heavy WD that I can't even get out of bed, take a full day of travel, or get any good out of this - my dad is paying for this with money he doesn't really have...any opinions will help and very welcome.

You're really, really lucky your father is helping you go to St. Jude's. That's one of the places I really wanted to go, but didn't have the financial resources on my own to swing it. Since St. Jude's isn't a traditional rehab, ask soon as possible what provisions they have for your medical needs.

8-16mg/day of bupe is a pretty high amount, and the withdrawal can last quite a while, up to 3-4 weeks. at 12 days you might be ok. the bigger concern is the alcohol withdrawal, since withdrawal from GABA agonists (ie, alcohol, benzos, barbiturates, ghb) can cause death if its serious enough, so its good that you'll be doing this under medical supervision if i'm reading this right (the 12 days off that you mention will be while in rehab, yes?).

if you're still bad on the bupe wd when it gets close to time to release you then you should inquire about getting medicine to take with you when you leave. clonidine is well known to be very good at easing opioid wds, so you can ask about getting that.