• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What is a good taper to get off 25mg methadone

Day 35- I had a tough time falling asleep, but I finally did and got about 4 hours sleep. I'll take whatever I can get.

I think I'm in a sort of holding pattern with symptoms. I have a lot of sneezing attacks and I have a hard time keeping warm. I still have a very slight sunburn sensation on my back and shoulders, but it's something I can ignore and it's far far better than it was. I have all kinds of goals I want to get done, but my body feels sluggish and my lower back bothers me (an old problem), so I get things done slower than I used to. I still get them done though.

"It's never too late to be what you might have been"
Dale

Dale
day 35. That is awsome:)

sorry to hear that you still have to,strugle with insomnia. But I think its soon to be better now that time is passing.
its great to hear that you now can manage to get things done.

have you ever tried what they call heathing lotion? That and small heathing pads might help with keeping warm.

you are doing such a great job quitting. Your determination is the key to your suxess I think.
came to think,abt a saying:

when life puts you in though situations dont say why me.
say try me!

wishing you a great day

Day 36- Today is/was a good day. Withdrawal symptoms were very minor chills, a lot of sneezing still and feeling sluggish. That's it - no more cold freezing burning feeling on my skin. I actually finished a big project I had been planning - to install a gas fireplace system (in my old brick wood burning model) that is controlled by a light switch. I got it installed and it works great. I think I made a dozen trips to the home improvement store for all sorts of little fittings. I didn't think about withdrawals at all. It feels good to be getting back to normal. I hope the same for all who read my posts - that you feel more strength and you believe in yourselves. If I can get off drugs, you can too.

Have a great Saturday everyone,
Dale

Day 37- I slept good again last night. Today I still feel minor chills and still a lot of sneezing, but my energy level is up and I feel good enough to work around the house and get more stuff done that's been waiting a long time. I sure hope this is the normal me. I've was on methadone so long on methadone that I'm not sure what normal is - but I'll take today's normal for starters.

"People said I am indecisive, but I'm not so sure..."
Peace ;)
Dale

Hi Dale,

I found your thread and wow you are doing so well!!!! Day 37 is awesome! Happy you are feeling good today!

I like the joke!

Hugs, Ashley.

Day 37- I slept good again last night. Today I still feel minor chills and still a lot of sneezing, but my energy level is up and I feel good enough to work around the house and get more stuff done that's been waiting a long time. I sure hope this is the normal me. I've was on methadone so long on methadone that I'm not sure what normal is - but I'll take today's normal for starters.

"People said I am indecisive, but I'm not so sure..."
Peace ;)
Dale

Day 38- I had trouble sleeping last night. I know I must have slept some because I feel okay today. I'm having the same ole withdrawals since about a week back: minor chills and sneezing a lot, but I do have good energy today. I'm working on a new project now - relocating the thermostat in the house. Feels nice to be doing things again. It's a really nice day outside here in Southern California. I wish you all could enjoy it too.
I don't think about my drug anymore. That took time. It reminds me of when I quit smoking many years back. All I could think of was a cigarette for a few weeks - and then I forgot about them. This stuff just takes time.

"Some people talk to you in their free time, but others free up time to talk to you"
Dale

Dale, I have read some if your thread, and congratulations on Day 38!! You are doing so well... and I love your little jokes... I think having a sense of humor really helps whenever we go through trying experiences. Happy Memorial Day!

P0kemama wrote-
and I love your little jokes...

Thank you for your comments. I put the jokes in hoping to cheer up those who read my thread. Laughter is good medicine! Thanks for the congratulations too. It means a lot to me, as this was a tough road to get past. I hope you are doing well too.

Day 39- Today is groundhog day from yesterday. I didn't sleep much at all last night, but I stayed in bed. When I got up, I felt okay but just a little tired. So far, the only withdrawal symptom I have is minor chills (NO SNEEZING.... yet). I feel totally peaceful and ready for the day ahead (which means finishing yesterday's project in the house). It's going to be a good day!

"I don't think women should be allowed to have kids after 40. 40 kids is way too much by any standard..."

Peace and Strength :)
Dale

Last edited:
Hi Dale,

Day 39 is so great!!!!! I hope the sleeping issues get better for you, I am right there with you not sleeping much myself now, I guess it's par for the course we're on.

Hang in there and keep the jokes coming, I'm way more emotional now that I stopped and so your jokes are great medicine for me. So thanks.

Hugs and take care my friend,
Ashley.

Man do I relate to all of this Dale, this is my story to a T. Sad how legitimate pain patients get skewed and screwed nowadays.

Hugs my friend,
Ashley.

I started at 20mg a day, then went up to 25 a few years later. Mostly what makes me want to quit is the difficulty in getting it now. I used to get it from my doctor, but after the bad press of overdose deaths in the last year, he decided everyone that needs pain medicine should go to pain treatment places. Those places are pretty miserable. The doctors quit frequently - and while one gives me the medicine, another will tell me I have to cut back -and immediately cuts me back. Add to that the pharmacy issue: I used to get this with no issues, but again - in the last six months, I get told it's out of stock every time and it takes a week to get it. I tried two other pharmacies and they said they can't take new opiate patients. One said they got in trouble for filling too many opiate prescriptions because they took the patients from other places that were turning people away. Last time I went to that pain treatment center, they had cancelled my appt because my doctor quit - they said they called me and left a message, but no one called. Then I got another appointment a week later and when I got there, they said we can't take your insurance anymore because the contract expired, but I could be seen for $150.00. I paid it and waited. After two hours waiting, they called me up and said "we need a drug screen before you see the doctor." and without insurance, that alone costs $500.00. I got so frustrated that I just walked out. I don't have $500.00 to pay them. Amazing I have good insurance but things like this still happen. So, out of sheer frustration, I decided to stop it and see if I could manage without it. I am beginning to feel like the medical world just sees people like me as euphoria seeking junkies instead of people that are very sick. Maybe I can manage without it - I won't know if I don't try.

Day 40- I slept real good last night. I had no RLS last night - no chills or sneezing - or any withdrawal symptoms. My pain level is up a bit, but I'll get through that okay. I think today is going to be a really good day for me - and I wish the same for all of you.

"I heard women really dig a guy in uniform, I can't wait to get started at McDonalds:)"

Dale

Great job my friend,

I took the time last night and went through your whole thread. You have come such a long way! Amazing!!!! Glad to hear you're feeling better as far as WD sx. I hope your pain subsides, sometimes a heating pad helps for me or a nice hot bath.

Keep the jokes coming Dale!

Hugs to you my friend,

Ashley.

EPL1- Thank you! I feel so lucky to be through most of this process. There were times early on when all I could do to get by was sit and rock back and forth waiting it out. I wish I knew the magic words that would convince everyone here that it does get a lot better, and that they can make it through the withdrawals. I hope I can convince you.

I do use a heating pad every night and it does help. I like hot showers myself and found they were very soothing even in the worst days.

Keep the jokes coming? Here goes:

"The best thing about good old days is that we were neither good, nor old.:)"

Hugs sent back,
Dale

Hello there Dale,

Sounds like me now, I'm in the thick of it, the worst today is the sadness, feeling like I am going to cry at the dumbest things. Sigh....hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Love that joke Dale,

Your friend,
Ashley.

EPL1- Thank you! I feel so lucky to be through most of this process. There were times early on when all I could do to get by was sit and rock back and forth waiting it out. I wish I knew the magic words that would convince everyone here that it does get a lot better, and that they can make it through the withdrawals. I hope I can convince you.

I do use a heating pad every night and it does help. I like hot showers myself and found they were very soothing even in the worst days.

Keep the jokes coming? Here goes:

"The best thing about good old days is that we were neither good, nor old.:)"

Hugs sent back,
Dale

Good morning my friend!!!

Yay,day 4 here and I actually slept last night. I had terrible nightmares but still I slept!!! The sadness is better today, I had a few little crying jags yesterday but I woke up feeling a bit better emotionally today so that's better. How are you doing today?

Hugs,
Ashley.

EPL1-
Good morning my friend!!!

Good Afternoon to you. :) You are at 4 days of the hardest part - I know it's tough now, but I promise it will get better. I had forgotten, but I had nightmares too for about a week, then they went away. I'm glad you slept better last night. That might be hit and miss for a little while. It still is for me (but I was on very long acting drugs for many years). I'm doing great - thanks for asking.

Day 41 for me. I slept about 7 hours last night - which is very welcome. I still feel a little cold (maybe that's my normal?) and I've sneezed a few times, but that is the extent of withdrawal for me thankfully. I went to see my sister today and we patched things up. We've been estranged for a while over our differences. Why now? Well, coming off methadone awoke my previously dulled emotions, and I could see I had been part of the problem of us getting along just as much as her. So I swallowed my pride and went to see her this morning to talk. It went better than I expected. I am glad I did that.

I am so glad I'm past the "biggie" withdrawals. When I first started them (WD's), I wasn't sure I could get through it, but I think we all have an inner strength that we don't know we have until we really need it. The people in this forum have helped me tremendously too. On to whatever is next today...

"Living with an angry spouse is a lot like farting. If you push too much, you’re really going to wish you hadn’t."
:) Dale

SoCal424

Hello Dale, good afternoon to you, I left another message for you over on my thread.

You and I are on a similar journey. I spent the better part of my birthday today thinking about how I have shut people out the past couple of years. I also reconnected with an old friend, hadn't seen her in over a year. We had a nice visit and I told her we should do it more often, and I meant it.

Another bright part of my day was reading your reply over on my thread, it meant a lot...

I am happy you reconnected with your sister Dale, that's really great!!!!

I am happy too that you are feeling better as far as not being on Methadone any longer. You are a strong and determined man. You'll go far in life.

Keep the jokes coming, I love them all.

Your friend,
Ashley.

EPL1-

Good Afternoon to you. :) I went to see my sister today and we patched things up. We've been estranged for a while over our differences. Why now? Well, coming off methadone awoke my previously dulled emotions, and I could see I had been part of the problem of us getting along just as much as her. So I swallowed my pride and went to see her this morning to talk. It went better than I expected. I am glad I did that.

"Living with an angry spouse is a lot like farting. If you push too much, you?re really going to wish you hadn?t."
:) Dale

Day 42- I feel okay today. I started off a little sluggish, but once I got moving, I got my mojo back. I've had a little bit of sneezing, and I felt a little cold when I got up, but no other WD symptoms. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think back for a few seconds to the days when the withdrawals were really rough, but maybe that is a good thing to reflect on to keep me moving forward. I don't feel any addiction at all anymore and that is huge for me.

Today is work around the house day (again). This old house always needs something and I have a long list. It is nice to get back into doing these things. It makes me feel productive. It helps me feel "normal." I've always liked tinkering with things - taking broken things apart and making them work again.

"Bus driver to passenger: Don’t you want to sit down? Passenger: No, I am in a hurry."

Dale

Day 42 is sooooo great Dale!!!!!

So happy to hear you no longer feel the pull of addiction.....That's HUGE!!!!

That sounds like a lovely Friday for you, tinkering around the house and keeping busy. Sounds like you are a handy guy!

I myself am taking some advice from some of you around here and getting out in the outdoors more. Heading to a park today.

I will be back later to check in with you all. Happy Friday Dale, I love reading your updates, you have the BEST attitude and are a great friend. I know I know, I say that a lot and it probably sounds corny but I don't care, it's how I feel.

Hugs Dale,
your friend always,
Ashley.

Day 42- I feel okay today. I started off a little sluggish, but once I got moving, I got my mojo back. I've had a little bit of sneezing, and I felt a little cold when I got up, but no other WD symptoms. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think back for a few seconds to the days when the withdrawals were really rough, but maybe that is a good thing to reflect on to keep me moving forward. I don't feel any addiction at all anymore and that is huge for me.

Today is work around the house day (again). This old house always needs something and I have a long list. It is nice to get back into doing these things. It makes me feel productive. It helps me feel "normal." I've always liked tinkering with things - taking broken things apart and making them work again.

"Bus driver to passenger: Don’t you want to sit down? Passenger: No, I am in a hurry."

Dale

Day 43- Yesterday afternoon, I started feeling run down a bit and then I noticed a little bit of the wierd WD skin sensations that lasted the rest of the evening. I hadn't felt that in a while. I guess I'm still riding the waves of ups and downs. It doesn't happen much anymore.

I slept 10 hours last night. That breaks the post withdrawal record for me and it was nice. I woke up feeling really rested. I still feel cold when it isn't, but there are also times when I feel just right. I haven't sneezed once today (yet). My energy level is so-so, but is usually good. Maybe I just need a cup of coffee? I still have lots of stuff I want to do and I feel good enough to take some of it on. Bring it on world!

I have no regrets for quitting methadone. Everyone has to make their own choices where that's concerned, but I will say that my life is better without all the b.s. that it took to stay on it. That b.s., due to the "war" on drugs actually felt like more of a pain to me than was the pain my drug treated.

"The local minister sees that every morning, some apples on his tree are missing. He makes a sign: 'God sees everything' - The next morning, somebody writes under it: Yes, but he’s not a snitch. "

Dale