• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What is a good taper to get off 25mg methadone

This afternoon is better. I don't feel the skin freezing sensation too much right now. I felt well enough to go the store for couple things. I find that no matter what I do - as long as I get up and do it, it helps distract me a little from feeling these symptoms. I'm wondering now how long this skin sensation will last - and I'm not sure I want anyone to tell me either. I have this hunch about these awful skin sensations - that the brain overcompensated before so I would feel hot and cold while on methadone, but now that I'm not on it, it has to readjust and while it does, I feel cold and hot like fire and ice. I've lost some weight doing this. Withdrawal just kills my appetite.

Hi again SoCal

I've found movement and getting outside one of the best ways to keep motivated and to distract myself from my withdrawal too. I really would advise trying to eat, even if it's just soup or food put into a blender to drink., you need energy. If you start feeling sick / vomiting on an empty stomach your going to be putting your stomach under a lot of strain with constant retching. The only cure I've found for the skin sensations is hot showers. I've had over 15 showers easily these last 6 days. I just sit on the floor lower the shower head and let it blast me with hot water, it helps so much.

Hi GreenDark,
I see you found my little corner of the BL universe - thanks for stopping by. I know I need to eat more - I have gatorade right now (second one). I did have vegetable soup earlier but it didn't set well. I won't starve - I like food too much. On a good note, I have not thrown up at all. I just keep getting a stomach ache when I eat.
15 Showers in 6 days! Holy Hot Water Bill :) Still, if it works - then it works. You know, I agree with you 100% about keeping motivated/busy/distracted. Sometimes it's the only thing we can do.
Sending healing thoughts your way - stay strong. It will get better!

15 Showers in 6 days! Holy Hot Water Bill :)

I know, I've had the heating on a lot of the time too. I'm dreading my upcoming bills. Ahh well, if something works it works. gatorade is good. Have you used any immodium? I found when I used immodium nothing sat well on my stomach, so I scrapped the immodium and liquid food felt more comfortable.

Yeah this little corner of yours is full of useful information and should be an excellent recourse for others in the future.

Last edited:
19 Days off Methadone as of this morning: I finally got some sleep last night after two nights of barely any sleep. I can say now that Ropinirole (a prescription drug for restless leg syndrome) DOES HELP. I'm still increasing the dose of it, but my "RLS" is better (not gone, but far more tolerable).
I kept warm last night and I did not feel the freezing cold burning skin sensation that comes with withdrawal - I just felt warm. Before last night, I felt the skin sensations very much. I feel it this morning now that I'm up, but it's not as bad as it was in the last week. Kind of feels like a few days after getting a bad sunburn. It's 78 degrees(f) in my house and I feel cold. Putting on a jacket is helping warm me up. I can't really turn the heat way up because the last time I did it, my dogs were panting constantly trying to stay cooler.
I have to be totally honest with those reading my posts in the future - this has been rough, but it is so worth it. I'm just another guy - no better than anyone else. I'm definitely no superman when it comes to quitting drugs. Stay strong people, it will get better - much better.

Last edited:
Hey SoCal, well done on hitting 19 Days!! Methadone is no joke to come off, a daunting task at the start. You've got this!

Thank you Greendark. It's been around four hours since I posted last. I wouldn't have posted this soon, but for those on methadone that follow: this is a sort of milestone for me in that I feel better today - not perfect, but better. I feel more energy too. It's the first day I could say "I could out in the world and survive the day" I didn't though. I cautiously say it feels like the worst is over. The runs are gone too. The sneezing and occasional shivering are still here, and the sunburn sensation is there, but not like it was in the early days of this. I am going to succeed at this - I know it more now that ever.

Last edited:
I had a really good day today. I feel better - am eating again normally and no runs. I'm still having sneezing fits, but they don't bother me much. I don't feel any psychological desire for methadone - not at all. I am so grateful for all the posts people took the time to write, and for all the information I got here on BL. I have a feeling it's gonna be a good weekend. I wish the same for everyone on BL.
Dale

I got four hours sleep last night - not bad but I wished I had slept all night. My blood pressure has been high lately - I think that goes with this process. I feel very chilly - like it's too cold in the house (it's not). I didn't feel that yesterday at all - seems to be a night thing. On a really good note, I had no restless leg syndrome last night. The Ropinirole drug is working good now (for restless leg syndrome). I've suffered from that for many years - what a difference it makes to not have it. I hope it continues to work this well.

I got four hours sleep last night - not bad but I wished I had slept all night. My blood pressure has been high lately - I think that goes with this process. I feel very chilly - like it's too cold in the house (it's not). I didn't feel that yesterday at all - seems to be a night thing. On a really good note, I had no restless leg syndrome last night. The Ropinirole drug is working good now (for restless leg syndrome). I've suffered from that for many years - what a difference it makes to not have it. I hope it continues to work this well.

thank you so much for chearing your journy with us Dale. You are doing great. It is really inspyering.

I was reading that you are dealing with RLS both now and for many years. I just wanted to give some advice to that.

a lot of people thinks that its due to lack of magnesium and that you should treat it with supplements. In some cases that is true. But what many dont know is that its more common to lack of iron in your body. The amount of iron in your body influcts dopamine production. The level of dopamine are at their lowest in the evenings and nights. Hence thats why we usually get RLS when we go to bed. You are currently using ropinirole. The reason why it has a effect is that ropinirole has the same effect in your CNS as the natural chemical dopamine. And dopamine is needed by the body to help control movement. And it works by acting in place of the missing dopamine.

If you havent yet,may I suggest that you have your magnesium and iron level checked? You might need to supplement that to get ridd of RLS all together. And then you might be abel to stop taking ropinirole.

wishing you all the best on your journey. Looking forward to read abt your progress:)

moscatel- Hey thanks for writing to me. You gave me some very good information and I will remember it. I started this thread asking for advice/someone to talk to, and I got it. It would have been so much harder without it. toothpastedog is a big hero in this site and in my thread as well. I hope you get to talk to him (he's gone this week). He is very inspiring as well.

I am feeling some of the freezing cold sensations, but it's not bad - nothing like it was early on. I have no runs, some spontaneous sneezing and my appetite is back. When it got especially tough for me, I'd just keep telling myself it would be better tomorrow. There's no going back for me.
Thanks again moscatel:)
Dale

Seems we're both feeling a little better. I'm having the same symptoms as you're having now. I'm finding the days are speeding up a little too, how about you? Glad you're appetite is back, food really helped my energy levels. I'm really looking forward to seeing what next week brings.

Ugh! How many "humps" are there in recovery? Today was low energy and just didn't feel well. This is my best "worst" day so far though. I'll take what comes and just deal with it - because the end result is freedom from this and a normal life.
Dale

motiv311- That's not something I need or want to try. I'm glad it worked for you.

Today got better as far as withdrawal symptoms go. I got a lot done around the house. I do wonder if the "creeps" (shorthand for withdrawal symptoms) are coming back overnight again as that seems to be a pattern the last few days. My blood pressure is still too high. It's always been normal until I started the withdrawal. So I guess I'm going to need something for it - at least for a while. I've already sent a message to my doctor about it.
I got my shower finished and a 40 minute run on the treadmill, so I hope I'm tired enough to sleep all night - it would be great.

This is day 23 for me since I found BlueLight and began my path free of methadone. I didn't sleep much at all last night (I tried), but I don't feel to bad. The withdrawal symptoms, unlike yesterday, are much better. Still having rapid-fire sneezing attacks and that darn insomnia, but I barely feel the skin sensations - the ones that hurt so much before. I think it will be a good day - I'm planning on it.

Happy Mother's Day to all the mom's in this forum.
Dale

23 days. Nice! I'm happy to see that you didn't let yesterday's "creeps" deter you or break your focus. I think I mentioned before that I no longer expect anything of tomorrow and just take the bad days as part of the healing process. It keeps me from cursing myself in the mirror and stressing myself out even more.

Monday.... Day 24. Another drug free day here. I am still at zero methadone and I am so glad the past few weeks are over. I still get minor hot flashes and I've sneezed more this week than ever, but no more of that cold burning feeling. I do notice that I feel cold and hot sensations sometimes where my t shirt (or blanket) touches my skin, but it's a negligible issue.
On a downer note: I have such terrible insomnia - 2.5hrs sleep last night after no sleep the night before. I worked hard in my yard for over 8 hours yesterday - I should be really tired, but I feel wide awake - even wired like too much caffeine. I've had none and haven't taken anything to keep me awake.
Last night, I think I figured out why I'm not sleeping. Turns out that insomnia is a known side effect of the restless leg syndrome drug I've just been on (Ropinirole). I've also had elevated blood pressure that went up when I went on this drug. So I'm going to stop it and see if I sleep better. I've had restless leg syndrome for years, so I need to figure out another plan for that. Someone in this forum told me it's caused by a shortage of iron and/or magnesium. I'm going to try those supplements.