• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What is a good taper to get off 25mg methadone

I wasn't clear on my last post - what I meant was "is it safe to try Nyquil when I am also talking 300mg of gabapenin" (If I still have restless leg syndrome tonight, I thought about a gulp of nyquil maybe helping. I went to the plant nursery today and bought a tree I've been wanting for the back yard (jacaranda). I felt this withdrawal the entire time, but it was distracting. I'm glad I went - and glad I'm back home even more. Maybe tomorrow I will dig the huge hole it needs to go in. It's in a 15 gallon container. My back still hurts a lot - right in the middle area and it spreads outward around my ribs. Feels just like really sore muscles. It gets intense enough that it's hard to take a deep breath. It does go away after a massage - so I guess it's time for another massage :)

I have decided to go to zero now. I took 2.5mg at 7am - but nothing after. I don't feel any worse than I already do. I will reserve the option to go back to my previous dose if it gets too difficult. We'll see how it goes.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah NyQuil and GBP no issues. Does the NyQuil have doxylamine or diphenhydramine? The latter is known to exacerbate RLS, so might want to avoid that for a version that has doxylamine (I imagine doxylamine could also exacerbate RLS but I don’t know specifically).

Have you tried highish doses of melatonin? A lowish dose of DXM and highish dose of melatonin would probably work better than NyQuil, but who knows. Just something to consider if you feel continuing to explore comfort med stuff is necessary moving ahead.

GBP is sometimes useful for muscle pain, well as long as it isn’t too severe. Once you get a little more tolerant to its effects you might find it useful for physical endurance even :)

Really pleased to read how you’re not just wallowing in misery when I read your posts. Like I said, you’ve got a good head on your shoulders. Of course it’s most certainly not easy, but it sounds like you’re managing things well. Keeps up the good work!

I am at zero as of yesterday morning. So far, I don't feel any worse. I am still definitely feeling withdrawal symptoms but nothing really bad. The RLS is still pretty severe at night, but I was so tired last night that I fell asleep in spite of it and got a good six hours sleep without waking up at all. I consider sleep to be a freedom from withdrawal. It is harder to get tired if I sit around all day in a blanket - and there are days I need to do that, but when I feel better, I need to do things that make me tired - working in the yard or house - or exercise - whatever works.
TPD: I'm not sure what GBP is (gabapentin?). I am taking that now. So far it hasn't seemed to help, but I probably need to be on it a few more days.
To everyone trying to get off stuff - IT FEELS GREAT to be off of opioids. Even though I am still feeling withdrawals - it is a still a really good feeling. I am just an ordinary guy and if I can do it, anyone can. Now, back to my blanket :)

Yup, GBP=gabapentin.

Be aware that it’s likely to get a little worse in terms of withdrawal, as the methadone that had built up in your system continues to work it’s way out. Generally the end of day two to day three is when that becomes noticeable, again beginning to peak around day five no methadone.

Again, if it gets horrible there is no shame taking a little methadone and sort of picking up with the taper again. But at least 10mg should make a big different after going to 0, so it’s not like you’d have to start from where you left off in your taper. Just trying to say there is no shame in restarting a taper if the withdrawal is too uncomfortable or you are afraid you might relapse.

That said, it does feel pretty good to be off, doesn’t it :) good luck!

And regardless of how it happens, you can absolutely do this! :)

OP have you considered just quitting altogether at this point? It sounds to me like you're already having the worst symptoms of withdrawal. Do you feel like you're just dragging it out? That's why I didn't bother to taper, just bite the bullet and do it. When you jump off completely it's going to start your timer from day 1. You could already have been almost through it with what you've been through?

Sorry if you've already gone over this, I'm just curious.

This morning was BAD - I had severe chills (like I've seen on TV for heroin addicts in withdrawal). I kept holding off, but by 9am, I gave in. I took 2.5mg (a quarter of a 10mg methadone pill). I still felt crappy but it eased some after an hour and I can handle the symptoms if they stay the way they are now. I felt well enough that I got my treadmill run done and went outside with my dogs so they could play in the yard while I watered. Funny thing - I felt so cold in the house, but that went away when the sun hit my back outside. It felt nice - felt normal. It's almost 4pm now and I'm still doing alright. I feel the chills some, but not as bad as this morning. If I don't feel as bad as this morning, I won't take anymore. So far - everything's good. One minute at a time.

N2theavenue: I answered your question in my posts right above yours - I had planned to stop yesterday. I made it about 24 hours (to 9am this morning) before I decided to take another small dose. I have a dentist appt tomorrow and a doctor appt on Thursday. I can't go to those appointments if I feel like I did this morning. I can go if I feel like I do now.
I don't know how long you took methadone, but if it was a long time and you just quit, I don't know how could you deal with the intense withdrawal symptoms. Did you still have ready access to methadone when you quit?

Last edited:
0.25mg clonazepam? Sorry to hear your struggling with it; after an aggressive taper and stopping early, well it isn’t unexpected.

As long as you just keep moving ahead, even if you need to continue the taper, that’s all that matters. As long as you continue moving in the right direction you’ll get there sooner or later. Might seem like an eternity away right now when you’re in so much discomfort, but it isn’t as far always as you might think <3

I did a typo in the above post and just now corrected it. I meant 2.5mg of methadone is what I took. My grand plan of stopping it just slipped a bit but the plan to stay at zero dose is still my goal. I could go slower, but I want it over with enough to try dealing with the rougher withdrawal. I actually think I've been lucky because all through this, I haven't had the runs or any sneezing, but I have had trouble remembering things instantly like normal. That will pass.
Right now, I do have a pretty strong freezing cold feeling on my back and arms right now. It's not as bad as it was this morning though so I'm still okay. Even though it feels like my body is punishing me for ever using drugs, I know this is just my body getting used to life without them.

For those who read this that are facing withdrawal - I have one bit of advice: stay busy as much as you can, if you can. It really does help. Whether it's working in the yard or polishing the car - it is distracting. Another idea is dressing warm, then take a walk somewhere you've never been before (just don't go in any dark alleys). It also helps to go in the shower and let the warm water run down your shoulders and back until the water heater runs out of hot water. Last, it helps a lot to find a place like bluelight where you can share what you're going through. Other caring souls will likely find you here and help you get through it. That's what I did -I just stumbled onto it while looking on the internet for "methadone withdrawal" and I've been posting every day. This has not been as hard as I expected it would be. If I can do it, so can you.

Last edited:
I was on the methadone for a little over a year, not long to some people but long enough. And I did have ready access. I had 7 days of take homes that I kept when I decided to jump in case I couldn't handle it and couldn't get back into the clinic right away. I didn't take them. But I also had nothing I had to do but lay around and get better. I did have my two small kids and husband was working but I didn't have to go anywhere if I didn't want to.

I wanted to just feel better so many times. Would have done damn near anything TO feel better. Besides take the methadone. I was absolutely done. In my mind it wasn't ever an option.

I've decided to kick kratom now too. We'll see how that goes. I'm not as young as I was when I stopped the 'done

N2theavenue: Hey - good for you! You say you didn't have to go anywhere, but you did have kids to watch over while in withdrawal. That must have been pretty tough by itself. I've never had to deal with a methadone clinic but I've read comments by others about bad experiences. I got my meds by the month, but every six months, they insisted on drug screen tests. One time it came back positive for crystal meth. I've never even seen that let alone use it. Then another time it was Vicodin which I have seen, but hadn't taken. They believed me, but that was pretty unsettling that the tests could go wrong like that. Each time afterwards, I always wondered if they would ask me about the test result. For the last five years, they never brought it up again. I don't know much about Kratom, but if you want to stop it, you can do it, especially after doing such an overwhelmingly good job on quitting methadone. I believe that kind of inner strength stays with you for life for the most part. It has with me - although I'm not quite as strong willed as you. Take care :)
----
I got three hours sleep last night - again because of Restless Leg Syndrome. I am taking gabapentin 300mg 3 times a day, but it's not stopping it so far. I think I have a bad case of RLS. Could be drug withdrawal though. I hope that's what it is. I have not taken anymore methadone but I took .5mg of clonazepam last night hoping it would help me fall asleep. I don't think it helped much as the RLS symptoms were pretty strong.
I still feel that cold freezing/burning skin feeling a lot this morning, but it is not as bad as yesterday. My nose is starting to run. Yesterday was day three after my plan to quit totally and day three has usually been my roughest withdrawals day. I'm sure hoping that the worst of this is over.
----
2pm - It's Imodium day here at my house. Is that too much information maybe? I think that's a fact of life for drug withdrawal - although I hoped I'd be different and not have that problem. I have that cold freezing feeling but I can tolerate it. I'll be glad when it's gone though. The big question is have I taken any methadone - not yet... My plan is to not take anymore.
I made it through the morning and my dentist appt. Nothing like being in withdrawal with a dentist running that tooth cleaning machine in my mouth for what seemed an hour. It certainly was distracting. I asked my dentist about whitening my teeth - he looked at me and just smiled as big as ever while telling me "maybe you should spend the money on a few wrinkles here and there instead." I told him I'm not paying for his treatments. What a laugh. He's a good guy!
----
7:30pm = It's been an okay day. I still feel the withdrawal and the symptoms are burning sensation on back and shoulders, occasional chills, infrequent nose running (and the other thing I talked about earlier that has to do with Imodium). Overall though it's not that bad though. I can handle this if it stays the same or better. I believe the worst is over. I did contact my doctor today about the restless leg syndrome problem and he called in a prescription for Ropinirole (it's made for RLS symptoms). I get it tomorrow, so I'm hoping the RLS will stop. I have not taken methadone today at all (or any other Opioid.). Cross your fingers for me - this really could be the end of a 40 year long drug addiction for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
You obviously have amazing inner strength as well. You've gone through almost as long as I did and have still kept going through and not changed your mind. I think you're going to be just fine. You just have to keep reminding yourself that the pain is temporary. And life is so much better sober. I remember laughing and genuinely enjoying myself after I had gotten sober, for the first time in probably my whole life feeling genuine emotions. And it was an amazing feeling. You have to pay your dues and feel the bad things too. But there's so much good in this world, and it's a shame to not experience it.

I hate that I picked the pain pills back up, and now I'm a slave again. After all I went through to beat it the last time, I'm an idiot. I'd probably be content to just stay on kratom forever, but I want to feel those real feelings again. I deserve too. And so do you.

Thanks N2theavenue for kind kind words - I know you are sincere.
I had the most amazing amount of energy yesterday. So much that I wondered if it was some kind of withdrawal symptom. I hope it sticks. This morning I am still feeling the freezing cold feeling on my back and arms, but it is tolerable. I'm really tired of having that feeling day after day. I am still at zero methadone. The runs are under control (I hope). I't s just gonna be another take it easy day for me. I had a doctor appt but they called saying they had to reschedule - I was really kind of glad they did.

What a long day - but a good one too. I haven't touched methadone. I am so tired of the burning cold feeling I've had for many days now but I am not tempted at all to take any opioids. There is no way I would start all over again.
I don't know if this next note is supposed to be in this forum, but I'm gonna post it in the hopes that it stops someone else from picking up a pen to do what I almost did. I can only imagine how drugs tear families apart, so read this and please don't give up hope. Last night I wrote a letter to my brother - kind of angry sounding one - because he has always been off in his own world - never sends cards - never calls - not for many many years. I did stay in touch, but he just never reciprocated and I stopped after years of feeling he was just disinterested. It felt like he just never wanted to stay in touch and I got hurt and gave up. The mailman hadn't come yet, so I still had the letter - and then out of the blue, today he called me. I had to fight back tears I was so happy to hear his voice. He and I talked for three hours - about all kinds of things. Seems that he has a son that ignores him and it finally made him realize he was also doing it to me. I threw the letter away feeling like crap for writing it.
If you are estranged, don't give up on a reconciliation. I can take way longer than it should, but it can happen because while some ties might tear to the point of hanging on by a thread, but they can fix themselves - they can find their way back together.

Last edited:
When the last of the opioids wear off and a natural balance begins to restore, all sorts of emotions return and intellect that was attenuated seeps back in. Music, art, fostering relationships , your inner voice, it all becomes relevant and nourishing to the soul again. That's great to hear that you had the patience to hold on just long enough with that letter. I can't say everything will be rainbows and roses but there is a undeniable benediction when tasting sobriety again.

Glad to hear your day is going well SoCal.

That nasty cold freezing burning feeling is easing up some - finally. Still, I wish I owned stock in the Imodium company right about now. I've been listening to music and singing along - and that is very distracting (for my neighbors and methadone withdrawal). I should have gone to Hollywood instead of going on methadone.

Now I've started wondering what it will be like to live without methadone - without always needing to be sure I have my meds before I leave to go somewhere, without wondering if my doctor quit again at the pain clinic (and the new Dr. decides on a big reduction all at once (or offers me even more like some Dr's have)) or if the pharmacy will tell me again they are out and have to order it in (a week later). I am so glad not to be a part of that system anymore.

How's your day going N2theavenue? I've wondered how you are thinking and feeling. I think I'm getting better - if I can - you can absolutely do it too.

Last edited:
Just about bedtime here. I guess these symptoms get a little worse at night, at least it feels that way, but I'm another day with no methadone and tomorrow will be better. Peace Everyone

Not much sleep last night - maybe an hour in all. I woke up really feeling the intense burning skin sensation again. That especially sucks since it was feeling better yesterday. I got my jacket on and that does help. Cuts down the feeling by 25% at least where the jacket covers me. For those who are suffering from this, try getting fully dressed the minute you start feeling it get worse in the evenings to morning hours. I did that a little while ago and I feel some better for it.
I took my first dose last night of Ropininrole (a drug for RLS (restless leg syndrome)). A doctor has to prescribe it. It 's a drug that I have to build up in my system slowly over four days so I probably didn't get as much benefit from it as I hoped. It seemed to help a little, but it didn't stop the RLS. It is not addicting. I think I'd feeling better if I could just get more sleep every night. Still no methadone though - I am done taking that as I never ever want to go through this withdrawal again.

Man I feel like crap today from this withdrawal. I felt better yesterday - what happened to change that? I have not taken any opioid - zero. Maybe it just goes like that. It does help to stay bundled up in a coat and long pants with shoes at all times (even if I lay down). My resolve is still just as strong as the first day thought - I'm getting through this.