Why are some mods playing doctor

Astrid.

Greenlighter
I've noticed 1 mod who gives medical advice and even a list of prescription drugs to take. That's so wrong. He's not a doctor and shouldn't act as one. Telling people to take antidepressants, clonidine and others. It's the opposite of harm reduction and should be stopped

If you have an issue with something a mod has done or said, please message a senior mod or admin and they will see about it.

Can you report any posts that you find problematic, and we'll have a look at it?

Is the person toothpaste a doctor? I work in the medical field and it's very wrong for him to tell someone to take medication, one being an antidepressant is very very wrong and not harm reduction at all

What antidepressant are you speaking of? I couldn't find it in the thread. Are you speaking of Tramadol?

With regards to your post in Site Technical Help about mods playing doctor, I personally think advising someone going through opioid withdrawal to seek Clonidine is pretty decent harm reduction advice. Blocking the sympathetic rebound of opioid withdrawal makes it much safer. The concern would be people pursuing Clonidine illicitly and therefore messing up dosages or combining it accidentally with an alpha antagonist et cetera, but risk vs. benefit ratio of the advice to seek Clonidine is probably still good even without TPD's caveats such as:

"What Id hope you were doing is working with a doctor on this. Any chance you could find a medical professional to support you?"

What is wrong with suggesting someone use WELL KNOWN medications to treat basic things like acute withdrawal?

How is educating someone how to treat something most doctors are unwilling to help with or don’t know how to help with?

I’d hope no one take my SUGGESTIONS as medical advice. No where have I promoted myself as offering medical advice, and frankly the suggestion is absurd considering no where on this site do I pretend to be a doctor. What I am is someone who advocates for drug users, nothing more nothing less.

How would you suggest we support people trying to get off opioids, tell them to get a different doctor? I’m not sure what world you are living in, but most doctors are either unwilling to treat opioid users or don’t have much of a clue. If we just told people to get a different doctor, and if that was the advice I had received when I asked people for help, I’d never have gotten off heroin.

Where is all this coming from?

Thanks for completely misrepresenng the advice I give. No where do I pretend to be a doctor or represent myself as such. And I REGULARLY try to get people to work with medical professionals.

I can only imagine the OP is a troll or has a bone to pick.

The only one of us who is representing themselves as a medical professional is you, yet you clearly have little to no idea how to deal with something like opioid use disorder or withdrawal. Otherwise you would not be taking certain things I suggest completely out of context, and you’d know things like gabapentin and clonidine are basic super essential comfort meds.

Are there some caveats with something like clonidine? Sure. I try to point them out, but if I forgot to you are most than welcome to point it out yourself - that’s how a peer community works. Instead you’re more interested in trying to discredit the advice I give because...

You’re upset about something maybe? It isn’t me playing doctor though, because that has never been the case.

And as Cotcha pointed out, I don’t think I mentioned anything about antidepressants in that thread... if you’re confusing tramadol with one, frankly I’d hope you weren’t really a medical professional...

Last edited by a moderator:
while there are people on bluelight that have had professional medical training, nothing here should be taken as "professional medical advice". people here are just trying to help others by passing on advice and personal anecdotes, which sometimes includes taking medicines for "off-label" purposes, like suggesting taking SSRIs after mdma to help prevent mdma neuroticity or taking clonidine to ease opioid withdrawal.

nobody is trying to "play doctor", they're just trying to help others.

Doctors don't tell you what drugs to take. They prescribe them.

No one is writing prescriptions here.

Blrs usually give personal accounts of what works for them or what they know from experience. If someone is trying to diagnose, ignore it.

That is also worth pointing out, thanks zep. And we also don’t give referrals on BL. If someone see that happening, one would do best to be suspicious.

I've noticed 1 mod who gives medical advice and even a list of prescription drugs to take. That's so wrong. He's not a doctor and shouldn't act as one. Telling people to take antidepressants, clonidine and others. It's the opposite of harm reduction and should be stopped

Nobody pretends to be a 'doctor' here, and helping people with sensible constructive advice is the basis of HR. Most of us are thankful and grateful people are still willing to share their wisdom, experience and insight on sites like BL to ease the plight of others.

That is also worth pointing out, thanks zep. And we also don’t give referrals on BL. If someone see that happening, one would do best to be suspicious.

Bear in mind that everyone uses Dr Google at some point and here ppl could also be drug affected and not seeing that what they think is a psychological condition is just the drugs or just too scared to see a doctor.

Ppl would take whats said as being an actual diagnosis from someone else if they are dead set against any proper help.

Having said that, blrs are responsible for their own choices and we are internet. Having someone there physically and especially a registered doctor is always better.

When I was a moderator here, I would constantly post and PM people about how if people have questions or are worried they took too many drugs, could overdose, had questions about medication, etc. that they should go to a hospital or seek advice from a doctor or medical professional.

I would tell people how getting medical help for an overdose, or combining drugs you are not supposed to, would not get them into legal trouble or arrested either.

Last edited:
^ That is very true, if anyone is worried they are overdosing, their friend is or have some kind of drug related incident to call an ambulance or get themselves to hospital. Many needle misses just heal up eventually, many dont. Going to get assistance is very scary.

However the fear of going for help in case of discovery of going when they will expose their personal lives is what makes this impossible.

Simply talking to people on their level as a fellow druggie and not acting like a parent judging them tends to work.

Some things have no choice but to persuade immediate emergency help. Some just need some advice on how to get some relief while coming down.

Maybe ppl just want to talk and talk openly without ppl lecturing.

Making a list to take .2 clonidine twice a day, xxx of gabbapentin twice a day,and trazadone for sleep. Yes that would make people think they are getting medical advice. Trazadone is an antidepressant and .4 of clonidine is more then most doctors would prescribe.

hi astrid.

thanks for the feedback.

we're a community and moderators are not necessarily experts in the fields of the forums they moderate. but, obviously, they tend to have a passion for those specific areas of interest.

if you see a post from anybody on bl - moderator or not - you feel is incorrect, correct it. that's how this works.

if you think there's a pattern or more egregious behavior, report the post(s) and we'll review.

you titled this thread "some mods" but you only talk about 1 mod in the thread. is it more than 1? please clarify.

thanks and regards,

alasdair

https://healthcare.findlaw.com/patient-rights/what-is-the-unauthorized-practice-of-medicine.html

So looking up in this, I can see someone who didn’t understand what real medical advice looks like might construe some of how I post. In that vein I can make my advice a little more general, to conform with the standards in that link a bit more.

That said, you owe me a bit of an apology OP. I don’t expect I’ll get it, nor do I care really. This is just a bit ridiculous. Let me explain:

More than three times in that thread I try to get the user to work with a doctor. They have been very clear their options are limited, and I’m not about to tell someone they’re fucked because they can’t find a doctor who treats them with compassion, dignity or professionalism.

The trazadone, while I did mention it in passing and it is technically an antidepressant, was mentioned in the context of me giving an example of a non-habit forming sleep aid. You know, to combat the common medical wisdom that zolpidem or temazepam aren’t habit forming (sometimes it’s worth NOT listening to so called medical professionals). I didn’t mention doses for that, or suggest he specifically use that med. it was an example of a kind of medication. And whether or not I mentioned an antidepressant is actually neither here no there - lots of people find them helpful in early recovery.

Clonidine, well, 0.2mg twice a day is a bit more than normal, but the user has a rather large habit, in which case it would be very normal. Taking what I said out of context, sure not entirely appropriate, but in context it isn’t unreasonable whatsoever.

The reality is most doctors don’t know how to deal with opioid withdrawal or use disorder. Most doctor still treat drug users like pieces of shit. You deny this?

Your own drug habits do not lend credibility to your professional opinion. I’m not about to judge you for the drugs you feel you need to be taking, but its a little ridiculous considering your etiz and methadone habit for you to critique me for offering a list of helpful with meds.

The big thing is tha I have not and do not pretend I offer medical advice. I’ve taken what you have said in this thread as constructively as I can, but please do not misrepresent the advice I give. I’m very clear with people I work with on here that they are best off finding a medical professional to work with. I never tell people to avoid doctors, just to be realistic that the medical profession in general has a huge amount of baggage when it comes to working with drug users. BL probably wouldn’t exist as it does if the medical establishment didn’t treat drug users like garabage on a systems level.

Somehow I don’t think your criticism was directed at anyone but me. Why? Because people regularly give and recieve feedback on what and how much of certain drugs/meds to use for various reason. So if you were really being real about your criticism that this is a widespread issue on her, people playing doctor I mean, you need to start criticizing far more people than just myself.

So please, no more this crap. I do not appreciate my role here being grossly mischaracterized. You succeeded in pissing me off, but thankfully I’m still capable of seeing the good in your rather, how do I say, misrepresentative characterizations of what I do.

Maybe you should worry about your own drug habit, yeah? If you see feedback you don’t agree with, instead of attacking the person who made it, point out the issues with what they’re saying, instead of being as dramatic as possible about it.

Your using a personal attack on me for an older post where I said .5 etizolam helped me get some sleep coming off methadone implying my "drug problem ". Isn't generalizing me as a druggie a bit odd for a sober living mod?

Or just you angry for getting called out? You come off very arrogant for someone that preaches acceptance

Yes, I wrote I got pissed about how you brought this issue to light, but I do appreciate you bringing this issue to light generally.

And... Drugs users gotta make the best of imperfect situations, which I why I don’t actually look down on you or anyone for using RCs. It just makes this all a little odd - you seem to know better than most the crap drug users, especially opioid users, have to deal with when it comes to most medical establishments, considering you were in the position where you needed something like that instead of a doctor prescribed medication.

But I get it, it is messy. Folks like you and I are left to make the best of a very imperfect situation. I’d hope you consider that next time you criticize how people are trying to help. You point really is well taken, and if anything having that in mind will help me be a better contributor here. Emotions are transitory things, after all.

It’s okay Astrid - I’m not pissed anymore :) do you have any other concerns? Concerns about other users “playing doctor?” :|

It would be a lot more convenient if you were doctors with prescription pads to be honest.

Lol naw that would be the worst! :(

You know how much work it takes to keep BL afloat free of spammers zep :)

^ Yeah just take it in shifts mate like any old work roster and share the load equally as possible.

Everything's going to be okay you know.