• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Raised LFT

Michael_25

Bluelighter
I have a raised liver-function test. The main culprit is my ALT, which is 127. My doctor said it should be below 50, but it's definitely not the worse he's seen (i.e. over 1000) How bad is this?

You'd need more information than that for anyone to give you helpful feedback. What did your doctor say?

The issue isn't going to be so much the ALT per se, but the cause and length of time it's been like this.

What other tests have been performed? Do you drink a lot of alcohol?

You'd need more information than that for anyone to give you helpful feedback. What did your doctor say?

The issue isn't going to be so much the ALT per se, but the cause and length of time it's been like this.

What other tests have been performed? Do you drink a lot of alcohol?
Renal tests came back normal. I binge drink every weekend but I am trying to cut down from 25 standards drink a night to about 8 standard drinks. I've 33 and have been drinking for 10 years. I've seen my GP who said my highest ALT was 6 months ago with a reading of, if I remember correctly, 240. In addition, my GAMMA was 3 times the normal range. Basically, my doc said "Stop drinking".

While I haven't quit, I've reduced my limit substantially.

I quite like this article on alcohol and the liver (opens a PDF). It's a couple decades old now, but gives a decent overview of the issues involved.

I'm afraid we can't really tell you whether what you're doing is safe long-term or not mate, as it depends on so many variables (as the article makes clear), and none of us can give you medical advice.

But from an HR perspective, you really might want to consider reducing your limit even further, over time, as you feel capable of doing so.