• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Can?t find veins to IV in. Help please?

girlintheworld

Greenlighter
So I have been using hydromorphcontin IV route for about 2 months. I?m a bigger girl so I can?t see my veins very well and I?ve been using my left arm for pretty much the whole time. I know, I know, it?s a no no but I just can?t find anywhere else to go. So I woke up about an hour and a half ago and went to do my smash and I couldn?t get blood in the rig when I was flagging. I tried for about 45 minutes and just gave up, ended up plugging the dose. I tried the same area on my right arm but just can?t get it. I can?t see the damn veins and it?s killing me! I don?t even know what I?m asking for exactly but if you have any advice on how I can find another site with my thick skin it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

It can be hard to find a vein if you're dehydrated, so keep your fluids up.

You might also get them popping out a bit if you do a little cardio - so maybe try moving around a bit.
Also, sometimes you can feel veins you can't see, so feeing around a bit might be a technique worth trying.

Just try to rotate sites as much as you can so you don't do too much damage.

Welcome to bluelight :)

I think i might move this to Basic Drug Discussion, where you might hopefully get more responses
(Homeless ---> BDD)

A few things that can help.. Taking a hot shower before hand, putting the tourniquet on your arm and doing a "windmill" type motion to get the blood flowing. Doing a couple curls with some weights (or whatever you have around the house) which can get a "pump" going.

Also, if you have Pharma grade medicine..you dont necessarily need to IV it. You can do a IM injection as well.

I don’t even know how to do an intramuscular injection. Does the rush hit hard like IV?

IM stands for intramuscular. Its extremely EASY. You have a lot of places you can choose. Ie. your glute muscle, thigh muscle or your deltoid muscle (those are the main places). Never inject more then 5cc's in one location (this is for big muscles Ie. glute/thigh) and no more then 3cc's in smaller mucles (this is for smaller muscles, like the deltoid)

All you have to do is stick the needle in your muscle, and push the medicine in. You want to go deep enough that you're not in the subcutaneous area. i typically insert the needle 5/8 of a inch (the length of my needle) or if i have a longer one, maybe about a inch or so. Obviously before you do that, clean the area to disinfect the spot. There are tons of vidoes on youtube, if you actually want to see it done.

And no, there isnt a rush like IV. But the bioavailability is 100% just like IV though. The onset is 3-5 minutes (it is for me anyways). The effects will also last longer then IV too (it should anyways).

IF you are a bigger girl and you do not have a long IM needle, I would not attempt this method; most likely it would enc up subcut!

I suggest a hot bath, tourniquet and a solution such as chlorohexidine 2% which is antibacterial and also shiny allowing you to see your veins pop. This is what I use on my patients and it really helps.

I have access to larger needles in my office at work as we have a nurse who comes out to do immunizations. I was worried about it ending up subcu as opposed to IM since I don’t know the difference on how it’s supposed to feel. I tried a hot bath but don’t think I waited long enough cause there was still none showing but I’m gonna try a longer one. I also drank a bunch to hydrate myself but it just ended up having to make me pee lol since I’m kinda in w/d. I have an anatomy and physiology textbook I’m gonna look up the circulatory system and study the pic to find potential site to locate on myself. I haven’t used my right arm at all so those ones should be good. It just sucks being thick skinned lol can’t see a damn thing! So with that solution I’d just spread it on the area I’m trting to locate? I believe I do have some of that in my office as well. Working in a Health office with supplies is a bonus! Thanks for your reply, much appreciated!

Last edited:
I do have access to some larger needles in my office. They’re for giving immunizations so I believe they would be the right size. I would think that the ones I use for IV would be too small, they’re just the little insulin ones I get from the exchange program. I think I’m just going to keep looking for a new site for now. I know I’ve got a bunch of good veins cause I was only using the one. There’s lots of options I just have to be patient and look around. Easier said than done though lol. Thanks for your reply!