• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Brain damage from years of alcohol abuse and benzo use?

nuttynutskin

Bluelighter
I'm starting to worry that I may have permanent brain damage from what the title says. I have tracers like if I move my hand around similar to being on a microdose of acid I guess. My short term memory is also totally shot and I occasionally feel tingles by my ankles.

Also when I got out of the hospital 4 days ago I was seeing what looked like red scribbling on the wall which would go away when I got closer to it, and actually saw a small spider crawling on my rug which when I tried to touch it it disappeared. Strangely everything else looked fairly normal. Anyways, have I finally given myself permanent brain damage or will these symptoms go away in time? Has anyone had this?

Last edited:
Right fuckin here, not the same situation because I have it from drugs and talkin bout' the whole book. Since when these symptoms started? do they occur at a specific time like when you're relaxed or stressed under a situation? any specific pains that wasn't happening before? It is possible tho that it's just temporary, don't panic and wait at least 1 month if they don't go away, strongly suggested that you visit a doctor, from what I see it's possible to be just something that appeared now and disappears. When you was hospitalized do any doctor/nurses gived you weird pills with ghost names or did they tell you for what they were? also you didn't specify why you we're hospitalized. As I said wait a bit and see if it go worse or go away, then you have to visit a doctor for a treatment, I really don't see it as brain damage anyway.

I got referred by my psychiatrist to a psychologist for neuro-psych testing to see what, if any, brain damage has occurred due to my drinking, benzo abuse and an untreated concussion when I fell down a staircase while drunk. Something you might want to consider. It's quite involved - three days of testing plus 4-5 interview sessions.

Right fuckin here, not the same situation because I have it from drugs and talkin bout' the whole book. Since when these symptoms started? do they occur at a specific time like when you're relaxed or stressed under a situation? any specific pains that wasn't happening before? It is possible tho that it's just temporary, don't panic and wait at least 1 month if they don't go away, strongly suggested that you visit a doctor, from what I see it's possible to be just something that appeared now and disappears. When you was hospitalized do any doctor/nurses gived you weird pills with ghost names or did they tell you for what they were? also you didn't specify why you we're hospitalized. As I said wait a bit and see if it go worse or go away, then you have to visit a doctor for a treatment, I really don't see it as brain damage anyway.

Thanks for the reply... I was hospitalized for alcohol poisoning because I drank 6 beers and decided that wasn't enough so had the bright idea of having a shot of rubbing alcohol. As far as when the symptoms started I would say not that long ago tho it's hard to say exactly because I've drank steadily all through this month. The symptoms don't really come and go, they're just there. I'm no longer seeing shit on the wall or anything but do have tracers. As far as pains, my stomach was all fucked up for 2 days albeit understandably, and I still get some liver pain here and there but that's been going on for a while now. They didn't really do shit at the hospital and basically discharged me when I could barely even stand up which IMO is downright malpractice. They did prescribe zofran but I've taken that before. Right now I'm not drinking and taking clonazepam and ativan because I was put in a position where I had to stop cold turkey. But I've had both of those before and they never did anything other than help.

I got referred by my psychiatrist to a psychologist for neuro-psych testing to see what, if any, brain damage has occurred due to my drinking, benzo abuse and an untreated concussion when I fell down a staircase while drunk. Something you might want to consider. It's quite involved - three days of testing plus 4-5 interview sessions.

Yeah I'm in the process of trying to find a psych that will take my welfare insurance. I have a new GP now who I intend to talk to about all of these issues but if this shit doesn't go away or start getting better I'm definitely thinking some sort of neuro testing might be in order. I doubt my insurance would cover it but I don't know.

*Almost forgot, I think I may have permanent tremors that ironically only fully go away after I drink a bit.

Last edited:
Sorry i don't have much information on this, but could the hallucinations have been alcohol withdrawal (DTs or whatever)?

Sounds rough man, i hope you make a full recovery.

Thanks for the reply... I was hospitalized for alcohol poisoning because I drank 6 beers and decided that wasn't enough so had the bright idea of having a shot of rubbing alcohol. As far as when the symptoms started I would say not that long ago tho it's hard to say exactly because I've drank steadily all through this month. The symptoms don't really come and go, they're just there. I'm no longer seeing shit on the wall or anything but do have tracers. As far as pains, my stomach was all fucked up for 2 days albeit understandably, and I still get some liver pain here and there but that's been going on for a while now. They didn't really do shit at the hospital and basically discharged me when I could barely even stand up which IMO is downright malpractice. They did prescribe zofran but I've taken that before. Right now I'm not drinking and taking clonazepam and ativan because I was put in a position where I had to stop cold turkey. But I've had both of those before and they never did anything other than help.

I think a insurance would cover completely but depends on the hospital, would still have to give a little bribe. It could possibly be something from liver or temporary hallucinations( it's normaly when you stop to see weird things but I wouldn't blame alcohol for the visuals, so benzos), but a analysis would say better than guessing and don't go back where you we're hospitalized. By liver I mean if you don't vomit blood don't worry, but if you do then it's another problem. You can recover, try to be a bit creative with yourself, beside your pills take some vitamins and few naps, a walk in the park, not running,

Visual disturbances from drug use happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucinogen_persisting_perception_disorder

A similar phenomena exists for GABAergics and alcohol, though is less talked about as people are most likely to become life-long drinkers which, paradoxically, begins to alleviate the same symptoms it initiated in the first place.

The Ashton manual found that a gradual benzo taper alleviated almost all cases of this. It should be noted benzo WD may result in tactile/audial hallucinations, not just visual disturbances, for some people.

Ugh, I'm not liking this blurry vision. Weird thing is I'm only really getting it from words on electronic devices like the tv. I can look across the room and see writing on something fine. I don't get it but I hope it goes away.

Well that's great. None of the psychiatrists on the list they gave me take my welfare insurance. THIS SHIT IS USELESS!!!

So it's been two weeks and my symptoms have gotten a lot better. Right now my biggest problem is this damn anxiety and paranoia. I see my new doctor on the 10th so maybe they'll have some advice/solutions.

It definitely gets better man. GABA receptors take a ridiculously long time to heal. Months to even years for some people. Eventually your brain will relax and get back to baseline. It just takes time. You should try some supplements if you have not already. I would suggest chelated magnesium, l-theanine, and Valerian root. Also take a few minutes out of your day to close your eyes and just breathe. Try not to focus on the things that bother you. With mindfulness you can get to a point where intrusive thoughts are not an issue. Also try to keep a positive attitude. In in the same boat bro going on three months. Always remember it does get better.

Thanks. The thing is I was depressed and suffered from anxiety way before drinking was a problem. Pretty much why I started drinking in the first place besides the fact that I just like to drink. But now that I'm sober it's all come back possibly worse. Doctors have wanted to put me on antidepressants but I've pretty much refused. I'm more or less used to dealing with depression but this anxiety royally sucks. I'm already on .5mgs of clonazepam twice a day. I guess we'll see what happens.

I honestly don't blame you for not wanting to be on antidepressants. Are their any triggers that cause the anxiety or is it just a constant feeling? It may be just be the early stages of sobriety or depending on what your doctor thinks you may need a higher dose of clonazepam, especially if it is keeping you from functioning or enjoying any part of your day.

I was on prozac a long time ago which actually helped me the most with depression but I didn't like the sexual side effects. As far as anxiety, I've been diagnosed with GAD among other things years ago. I wouldn't say it's constant, I guess it's mostly social. For the most part I just like to stay to myself and don't really like being around people I don't know or people in general I guess.

I totally get this alcohol alleviates the symptoms it initiated. That's deep shit and something I battle with but have found to be true. Its like a self fulfilling prophecy. If I'm saying that correctly. I never have been able to spell it out as such until now so thank you for the map on that one. Captain Heroin Strange thing because pills were not like that for me.

I hope your bad thoughts go away about the delusions. Sometimes I had to just talk back to the plant and go on and just know it would end. It will end...

Last edited: