View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Mushrooms: WTF Happened!?

call1900daniel

Greenlighter
Context: I'm no newb to mushrooms, I've done them at least 6 times over several years with only one negative experience, however it was still manageable. I recently acquired 1/2oz of mushrooms and decided to make 1/4oz into chocolates. I chopped them up very fine and mixed them with melted chocolate and evenly distributed the mix into 4 chocolates, so each chocolate was around 1/16oz, not a big deal...

Situation: I ate one chocolate at 9:30, headed to a Bicycle Day event (a crowded indoor environment with every type of sensory stimulant ever...) and by 11:15 my mind broke apart and I couldn't handle the situation. The effects of the mushrooms were stronger than I have EVER experience. I became very nauseous and the overwhelming stress and stimulation made me throw up several times. I left the event and proceeded to go home. The peak rose and rose to heights beyond comprehension. I could barely see the world around me, it was all too much. I couldn't escape the intensity. It was like being spinning drunk and just feeling so sick. I finally got home, buried my face in a pillow and kept my eyes closed. Obviously behind my closed eyelids a crazy kaleidoscope world awaited that my psyche merged into, where I began to occupy memories simultaneously feeling like I was in multiple places and times and once. Eventually I remembered I had a left over Klonopin, so I ate it to help calm my thoughts... eventually it worked but the intensity still persisted. I rode it out until I eventually fell asleep. I love mushrooms, but that was something else, it was beyond my capacity and experience... I'm not sure how an estimate 1/16oz shattered my ego.

Questions:

1. Does this experience sound like a dosage issue or a potency issue?

2. Would molly have helped? I had some with me, but I was nervous about adding to the experience. I've hippie flipped before MANY years ago and loved it, probably one of my favorite experiences. I'm wondering if next time I take these mushrooms I should take molly first, then an hour later take the mushrooms, and then during the peak potentially re-dose with a little bit more of molly. Thoughts?

3. Obviously I broke some rules here... Mindset and Setting were NOT right. My Mindset was a little off because the crowd wasn't entirely my scene, the crowd was annoyingly tight and people were obviously not mindful of others (but really who would expect that?). Additionally the setting, while really amazing was also a constant onslaught of sensory overload. I've done mushrooms at festivals before with similar sensory intensity but it was outside with a lot more space and escape to be had. Perhaps next time I just to be at home or at my favorite park, and only eat half a chocolate instead of a whole. Thoughts?

Dosing mushrooms is never accurate IME. Chocolate addition is the worst (once again, in my opinion) - chocolate, especially milk chocolate with shrooms makes me very nauseous. Molly would probably make it even harder in your situation. Although I really love hippie flips and I also take molly first and follow up with shrooms an hour later.

Another thing as you mentioned is crowd - most of the time its waaay overwhelming for me but sometimes I really enjoy it, not sure why though, probably if necessary level of disinhibition is achieved by the time tripping starts (for that purpose I use Phenibut, F-Phenibut and Pregabalin as a preloading agent sometimes)...

Another thing is current sensitivity and with indole psychedelics it varies extremely IMO. I have had very strong trips on 1.5g of shrooms and I have taken 5g of the same mushroom batch with similar results. Same things for 4 sub -DETs and -MiPTs psychedelics - I have had deep and meaningful trips with as low as 9mg. I think there are a lot of things at play every time we ingest psychedelic substance, its really hard to gauge and expect consistency with it.

I am experimenting with making ethanolic extract out of the shrooms powder for more consistent dosing now. Will definitely post once I'm done. :)

Were you at the shpongle show? If so it's no wonder you were overloaded.... One person even collapsed up front during Shpongles set

You also said you estimated 1/16... Maybe you didn't split the piles evenly like you thought you did if you eyeballed the split

I don't know D., sounds like a bad day to do shrooms.
As far as the doses not being consistent btwn the candies seems reasonable except that even if the whole 7 grams had ended up in a single candy what you experienced seems way beyond even that.
Sometimes with psych a bunch of different things add up to a heavy trip and it is almost impossible to lay it on any one thing...no help, I know, but it's all I got.

Were you at the shpongle show? If so it's no wonder you were overloaded.... One person even collapsed up front during Shpongles set

Yes I was! I had to leave in the middle of The Floozies... just too much. Sad I missed Shpongle...

You also said you estimated 1/16... Maybe you didn't split the piles evenly like you thought you did if you eyeballed the split

Yeah I think that probably had something to do with it. I mixed the whole 1/4 into the chocolate and then made 4 chocolates but you never know how the mushrooms distributed upon pouring...

I mean that was an intense scene... Someone collapsed during the shpongle set... I think even the flower guy was overwhelmed at one point as he seemed kind of stuck next to me in the middle of the crowd, which was both cool and awkward. That was definitely an intense scene yet the funniest part was it was the easiest crowd to get through as everyone was hella polite because everyone was tripping pretty much.

Another thought I am having is they could be cyans collected outdoors from the park and that would explain why it was as strong as a normal trip. I actually just found 7-10 grams dried a few weeks ago and actually ate a gram with 10 mg 4-aco-dmt the day after to go see super troopers 2, which was really good. Anyways like I said I bet you had some park shrooms. Did they look like your average cubensis or where they really small with like pin needle stems and mainly open caps? That would make a lot more sense than you measuring wrong. Are you from the city? If so was it a local friend who sold them to you? If not did you buy them off some person at the park? Again no one can tell you at this point and there's always the possibility someone injected the fresh mushroom with a tryptamine RC, but I think that's a stupid idea and is very unlikely to be the case.

Oh wait yea... If you didn't split the piles and make each chocolate individually it's likely you didn't blend it evenly as the Psilocybin stays in the mushroom and the chocolate just masks it.

Heh, if they had those really thin wiry looking but short dark stems, could have been cyans, not proof, but thats what they look like. And P.cyanescens is potent as hell. I've tripped pretty hard just from handling cyans before, after I spotted a patch, and me and the (fucking bitch) housemate I had at the time, went and begged a couple of happy meal cartons out of the nearby macdonalds, and each filled a bucket full of the buggers. Caps were damp, so we spent some time cleaning them, wiping them all down before sporeprinting to rule out any Galerina infestations etc. and after a while, bugger me if we didn't both end up bursting into spontaneous fits of laughter, eyes blown wide as dinnerplates, with the walls turning funny wavy breathing colours=D

Actually had a pretty alright trip, even without having eaten any, since the spore-printing is essential with cyans for the reason mentioned, the genus Galerina, with some of its members being extremely toxic, but they have very different spore prints, rusty cigar brown being potentially Galerina autumnalis or one of its deadly relatives whilst an inky, violaceous blacky blue spore print is characteristic of Psilocybe species. Kinda snuck up on me over about 20min/half an hour or so and then jumped me from behind, in a mushroomy kind of way=D Definitely was not expecting transdermal absorption of psilocin/psilocybin, but ended up with maybe a half kilo each of dried mushrooms, after all was said and done, an experience that felt like what 1-1.5g freshly dehydrated cyans would have done.

Galerina is a flimsy mushroom a lot of times with a hole down the cap through the stem like a candy cap... If you can't identify a galerina by it's thin flimsy stem rather than the thick solid Psilocybin stems you shouldn't pick mushrooms

I've seen the two fruiting in the same woodchip patch, and even woodchip before Taco, its less about establishing the identity of the bed, and more about making sure you don't get complacent and as a result have some noxious intruder slip into your mushrooms.

And cyans can have quite thin stems too sometimes. Also the caps can be very variable with respect to the weather, they are pretty hygrophanous. I can ID Galerina, I just think that its highly prudent when hunting them, to spore print each and every single cap. I've had harvests of cyans before that were big, kilos, and contained just a few individual Galerinas, and every time, it was the spore print, every cap laid out on foil, after having its stipe severed at the interface, and placed just above the cap, each and every time, the spore print that led to my ferreting them out and giving those mushrooms a date with the toilet or the top of a thermite charge (amatoxins might be thermostable, but they ain't THAT thermostable=D), as well as cutting away a section of foil in a 3x3 grid pattern around the margins, to preclude my use of that area for developing cultures and spawn.

That'd be a bugger, growing a bed of P.cyanescens, and cultivating a mixed Psilocybe/Galerina spawn block, no?

As for confusing Galerina vs Psilocybe, I mentioned it especially because other people might not know of the danger, when hunting, and to live by the maxim 'there are old mushroom hunters, there are bold mushroom hunters, but there are no old, bold mushroom hunters' And the stem diameters, I've always found the two to be fairly similar in overall diameter range. That coupled with the hygrophaneity of Psilocybe cyanescens, its a good reason to be thorough, especially when the alternative is so unspeakably awful a slow, agonizing way to die, shitting your liver out in torrents of frothy, blood-stained diarrhea all over yourself as your kidneys pack in and your brain and heart start to swell, you start to convulse and spasm until your butchered body drowns in its own body waste, that, is worth a spore print to avoid.

And besides, got to recover as much spore supply as possible, as without spores, there is only tissue cloning as a means to ensure future generations and grow ops. More the merrier I say. I can't help but walk past woodchip beds and think 'I need to find another supply of cyan spores, because this is one more piece of territory that could be put to work producing fruit-bodies, given a few prints to impregnate some sterilized agar starters with, and some basic lab kit (although mine is a little more than basic by now :) )

Its like looking at a blank canvas, thats screaming to be painted, a garden unplanted, to be ridden of weeds and made fruitful, and the nascent potential for so much creativity, all rolled into one common greater purpose. Might look like bark chips to most people, but I know better than to think its just dirt and rotting wood.

And shouldn't pick mushrooms? some people shouldn't, its true. I'm not someone who counts himself a member of that particular demographic. I've been hunting since I was 4 years old, and I'm generally known, in my family, for being the one to go to with anything mycology related. Candy caps, I've never had the luck to find any though.

Main Lactarius I find that I harvest, is L.deliciosus, got myself a 'patch' that reliably produces several big shopping bags full per foraging day, every year. Big ones too, best saffron milk-caps I've ever seen, some as big as side-plates nearly, cap edge to cap edge, yet still firm and fresh. Always tend to get a LOT of boletes there too, usually a mixture of Xerocomus badius (Syn Boletus badius), Suillus granulatus, S.luteus, ceps and various Birch Leccinium. Always come back from that mixed pine and decidulous forest with some nice big santa's sacks of tasty to serve with some of my special fly agaric&Chalciporus piperatus (peppery boletes)-based spice blend and gravy, drizzled over a couple of slabs of lucious, juicy fillet steak.

Mmm...wish the Saffron milkies were fruiting now, I could really munch some fly agaric-spiced steak with L.deliciosus and shiitake right now.

Last edited: