• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe What does precipitated WD feel like?

What does it feel like?

As the intensity grows it's sheer terror as you have no idea how much worse it will get. People have been known to vomit repeatedly, followed by diarrhea 30 mins later and with severe flu like symptoms in between. Although with the flu you don't have the extreme anxiety and panic that goes with P/W. But most just describe it as pure hell.

How to avoid it?

Make sure to get to a high score on the COWS scale: /cows-score-opiate-withdrawal
before induction. The search engine is loaded with P/W threads. Here are a few to get you started along with some other good info:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2719550/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17517480?dopt=Abstract

Once you are on Suboxone and want to determine how difficult it will be to stop:

The search engine is your friend :)

He's right, you could use the search function. Many people have quite different responses to it. My experience with it has usually been an overwhelming sense of dread and a prickly painful sensation spread throughout my whole body. An intense period of sweating and the feeling of heat accompany this. The entire experience lasts normally about less than half an hour before everything returns to baseline.
I hope for your sake you never get to experience this type of withdrawal.

Started with an overwhelming sense of dread and dysphoria. After about 20 seconds I was pouring sweat and had to run to the bathroom. Spent the next hour or so with diarrhea while simultaneously throwing up onto the toilet floor. Finally thought it was over so I went to get some valium to swallow down. Promptly ran out into the front yard and threw them back up. Ran back to the bathroom and spent another 20 minutes vomiting. Drank some water, managed to keep it down so I tried another few valium, which stayed down this time. Curled up in a ball in the shower for another hour or so, then more or less went back to normal. Spent another hour cleaning up the vomit scattered around the place.

Not fun.

^^thats about right. Vomiting, shitting..over heating, Restless leg, the never ending thought, WTF DID I DO TO MYSELF. its awful. Youll know when it happens.

I equate precipitated withdrawal to going through the same kind of acute withdrawal of a detox, but condensed into 1-4hrs.

It isn’t that hard for most people to avoid, so if you give yourself enough time between last full agonist used and induction you’ll be fine. You can use comfort meds to make it through the waiting period as full agonists clear your system.

Only caveat it longer acting opioids like methadone, that require you wait far longer than shorter acting opioids like morphine or heroin. With methadone I normally recommend either using comfort meds liberally for 3-5 days (depending on how large the methadone dose was) or replacing the methadone with a shorter acting less potent opioid like codeine or tramadol for that same period, then waiting 24hrs after last use of short acting opioid to induct.

Even with methadone, the transition is very manageable. It only sucks for folks who have a doctor who isn’t treating them compassionately or don’t understand how to indict someone on buprenorphine (sadly that is a lot of medical professionals).

I once snorted 2mg of Suboxone 2 hours after a hit of heroin, soon after i was in precipitated withdrawal, it was mainly the feeling like i was going to die, panic sets in, coughing up loads of fluids, then i get cold akin flu, its like day 3 in withdrawal, but hits you harder faster.

Was always told to wait 24 hours going from heroin to buprenorphine, but i'm fine after waiting 12 hours