• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Treatment Is there a rehab Non 12 step allows Suboxone

fb3z

Greenlighter
Is there a rehab out there that is Non 12 step and allows me to stay on my Suboxone, I'v been tirelessly looking and getting nothing but the opposite, any help folks???

Little more info, I'm F 28, IV heroin last 3+ years pretty heavy, my BF was a dealer, got septic, endocarditis, did go to the hospital, did 8 weeks IV antibiotics, lost my house and BF, my dad let me move in with him on release, been on 16 mg subs daily about 8 months, drinking a 5th a day for 7 months...yeah, my body is obviously starting to revolt and I know my time is running short, the alcohol is going to kill me. I know I have to detox and i'm willing to go to inpatient treatment, been looking for months. I did 12 step last time in rehab even as an atheist, impossible to relate, all the search engines take me to the same sites, none I have contacted allow the subs even though they saved my life, I know I would have went back with out it - feel I will go back if forced off - any help please???

I'm in Seattle but want to go back to CA, it's so gray here

hi, welcome to bluelight. I spent some time up in the Seattle/Kent area for some time doing linework, one thing I noticed what was different about there then where i'm at now is how common it is to get meth, and herion. and well weed.
I've been looking around, and well the only place's i'm able to find are in-hospital type treatment, and mostly there will be some AA/NA there.

my belief was kind of like yours before I got sober, I didn't believe in god because why would god put my family through so much fucking hell,espically my mom whom never touched a drug in her life and had a severely handicapped child, just didn't make to much of sense.

At first I had to look beyond the god piece, and just trust the person that was taking me through the steps. everytime I felt like using dope i'd call him, same with drinking i'd call him, we went to meetings, he was pretty much my higher-power at the time because I was still clueless to what a higher-power was(be carful tho sometimes a sponsor will take advantage).
Wasn't until about a year sober that I had that moment of clarity that is described, and I was able to find a power(and after reading countless books at the library on religion and spirituality) so I picked some stuff from the native American, some stuff from the India''sns? some from the Chinese and Japanese Hinduisms and put it all together. Its what worked for me, I had to stop asking why and just learn to say ok

just wanted to add this link to maybe help you find something that isn't so normal AA
https://www.buddhistrecovery.org/meetings.htm

I didn’t like twelve step meetings or mentality before I got in a rehab which allowed us to enter AA/NA meetings once a week outside the facility.

In fact I went to meeting first time just because there was a pizzeria near where they have meetings and after meeting we were able to get take away pizza back to the facility but it was a good experience and I have been going there three times now.

I don’t care about the steps but being able to talk with those who have recovered has given me much hope atleast and I find it a good place where I can vent some steam out without the staff of my rehab hearing about what I want to talk as there are some things that can be fully understood only by those who have been in the same situation.

Twelve step in itself doesn’t sound so bad but I understand that they have quite anti-medicine ideas and might not for example allow Suboxone every place where the rehab itself is twelve step oriented.

This is a rock and a hard place situation. How are you planning on funding treatment? If you are planning on utilizing insurance then you will likely run in to difficulties. We can pick nits over the veracity and ethics of the treatment field, but that isn't even going in the proper direction here. There are quality treatment providers and there are garbage treatment providers and from the outside it is often difficult to tell. Alcohol detox is something that often requires medical management. Payer sources are going to dictate the treatment you get. If you are paying cash there will be more options for you as medical and clinical necessity will not come in to play as much.

Things often get oversimplified here. "Treatment sucks" is not really a useful or valuable statement and it is paying short shrift to the complexities of the medical and clinical world. The reality is closer to: "treatment sometimes sucks, payer sources often suck, ACA and the creation of a thousand different individualized policies genuinely sucks, medical and clinical necessity driven by over the phone pre-certs suck somewhat, Surgeon Generals making blanket statements sucks beyond belief, treatment driven by financial interests (i.e. greed of the provider and the payer) blows schwag nuggets..." and the list only begins there...

I've played rehab roulette since 2014 and if I've learned anything, it's that your ideal rehab doesn't exist. You just have to weigh the pros and cons of each one and decide what program seems to fit your needs the best. There are facilities out there that are open minded toward medication. The last one I was in didn't say no to benzos, because when it comes down to it, there is nothing else that is as effectively fast acting in a panic attack.

But honestly, that is putting the cart before the horse. With the levels at which you've been abusing alcohol, you're probably not clear headed enough to make such an important decision. Get into a detox, gain some clarity of mind, and let the people there help you find what the next step should be.

You can do suboxone out-patient

Did you know that or do you need in-patient?
I think the OP was looking for a way to deal with an alcohol problem and appears to be drinking at a level that would meet med/clin necessity for at least a medically monitored detox. They just want to be able to take sub while detoxing and being treated for the AUD.

I only have medicade in WA state, but my father told me to be looking at places in the 10K range so that would be a ball park idea, we both look, rehab roulette is exactly how it feels, so many slick salesman. I have to medical detox off the alcohol, I know that much for sure, what I need is some leads for rehabs that will allow me to continue or at the least allow me to taper the sub. Most places want me to kick the alcohol and sub (from 16mg to 0) in 5 days - then directly to start their 28 day program. That sounds like they don't understand sub w/d - or am I wrong. From what I have learned the worst of the sub w/d doesn't really start till day 4 or 5, then once over the w/d hill, (more like 12 -14 days later), zombie for the next month, i.e. - till after the paid 28 days is long gone. Seems like I wouldn't get much out of rehab in that condition or for my fathers hard earned money. All your feed back is appreciated and thank you all so much, your opinions help.

Perhaps, then it might be best to stagger your detox and starting a 28 day program. Take on one problem at a time. I would deal with the alcohol detox first, because that one can actually kill you, and start the sub detox at the same time. Then, after you're done with the alcohol detox, perhaps consider continuing the sub detox outpatient until you feel like you're with it enough to get the max benefit from a residential treatment program. I totally understand where you're coming from - treatment is expensive and not getting the most for your money is just flushing it down the shitter. But whatever you do, you really do need a medically supervised inpatient detox if the amounts you say you've been drinking is accurate. I saw a guy die in my first medical detox. He drank about a liter of vodka a day. Had a seizure and went into cardiac arrest in full view of all of the rest of us. And this was in a hospital and he still died. Don't take your life in your own hands by not doing it.

There are plenty of rehabs that offer alternatives to AA, but none that I know of will allow you to stay on subs, as that kind of defeats the point of rehab. Rehab is the perfect environment to come off subutex, why do you want to stay on it long-term?

Some people just need opioid replacement therapy longer than others and it is quite common to relapse for other drugs or alcohol during it and therefore people need rehabs where they can stay on Suboxone while detoxing from alcohol or other drugs as well as when they are in long term rehab.

The place I am in rehab right now (as well as every publicly funded rehab facility here in Finland) allows patients to stay on suboxone while they detox from other drugs or alcohol or enter the rehab for longer term and it is quite effective way to deal with those issues as it often takes long time to deal with opioid abuse.

I don't plan to stay on subs the rest of my days, I just don't think I'm far enough yet, and from what I have read it should be tappered down very slowly - that makes since. Odd to think Finland is ahead of the learning curve, I know I would be dead if not for the sub, I would have for sure folded and went back. It's been months now on the suboxone, the needle fixation has stopped - but the incredible anxiety, depression, and psychical pain/illness of w/d I remember very well. It's my biggest fear, and jumping off at 16 mg and 5th a day at the same time...I'm still looking but even transitional housing will not except some one on sub.