The rise in abuse of power, overstepping of bounds, and unbalanced perspectives on BL

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rules are the rules, but the rules can be changed. They aren't static. There may be good reasons my suggestion isn't desirable or feasible, I can think of some myself. But "the rules are the rules" isn't one of them. There is nothing, absolutely not a thing in the world stopping the higher ups changing the rules to create a section of the site where the default rules don't apply. It already exists. Harm reduction rules in drug culture are enforced differently allowing posts that are not allowed elsewhere.

The rules should be the same for everyone, but they don't have to be the same everywhere.

The rules aren't set in stone. Abuse is caused by abusive people. Abusive people will use both the argument that the rules are static and beyond their control and also that the rules are dynamic and open to interpretation whenever it suits the situation to their preference whichever way they like.

The rules are there so everyone knows what's expected of them. People shouldn't get a pass for playing lawyer or looking for loopholes, much like with real law, intent is very important. And again like real law, the rules can be changed if its deemed appropriate. And as is already the case both in real life and already here on bluelight, different areas can have different standards.

The creation of an area of the site with lax content rules may well be a bad idea, but not because of anything to do with the rules of rules.

you're exactly right. "respect the rules because they're the rules" is something of a tautology. the rules can indeed be changed, i kind of like the idea of having a section of the board where the rules are more lax, but that brings all kinds of other issues with it, like how does one get access, just how lax should they be, should they be more lax for some than others, etc. at the end of the day, its easier to just have that set up somewhere else than to have some special "rules dont apply" area of the board (and there are several other communities of bluelighters that are separate from bluelight.org, where the BLUA doesnt apply).

I just received a PM saying that I cannot post any materials that originate from the staff forums, even with no mention to names or specific posts.

Show proof!
-I can't because it's staff-only info
Oh well then post it in the staff forums!
-Where i'm a vocal minority and will be ass-blasted by the majority.

so basically you're admitting that you took to unnecessarily airing your grievances in public because you dont have the courage or integrity to discuss them in the proper place? if there is a real, objective issue here that can be properly substantiated then being the "vocal minority" shouldnt matter, making improvements and righting legitimate wrongs speak for themselves, and if the issues are legit then you wouldnt be alone in your concern about them. something tells me that you know there's not really anything to this though since you didnt even try to discuss them in the proper manner, in the proper place, and instead went right to creating a public invitation to hurl shit at the staff.

You are the worst ^

mal3volent, your reading comprehension is abysmal.

I said "by bringing myself down to the same level of immaturity, and treating the other person the same way they treat me ... I will be punished and told "you should know better" or something along those lines... How is that not fair?"

so why did you make all those personal attacks on me again? In addition to the one you just made, about my reading comprehension?

you're exactly right. "respect the rules because they're the rules" is something of a tautology. the rules can indeed be changed, i kind of like the idea of having a section of the board where the rules are more lax, but that brings all kinds of other issues with it, like how does one get access, just how lax should they be, should they be more lax for some than others, etc. at the end of the day, its easier to just have that set up somewhere else than to have some special "rules dont apply" area of the board (and there are several other communities of bluelighters that are separate from bluelight.org, where the BLUA doesnt apply).

so basically you're admitting that you took to unnecessarily airing your grievances in public because you dont have the courage or integrity to discuss them in the proper place? if there is a real, objective issue here that can be properly substantiated then being the "vocal minority" shouldnt matter, making improvements and righting legitimate wrongs speak for themselves, and if the issues are legit then you wouldnt be alone in your concern about them. something tells me that you know there's not really anything to this though since you didnt even try to discuss them in the proper manner, in the proper place, and instead went right to creating a public invitation to hurl shit at the staff.

The only thing I'll admit is that I responded to this thread as soon as I could devote some time to it. I'll also admit that taking on a whole organization is more than I could handle, especially after letting the thread accumulate 5 pages of lengthy posts to address... Perhaps i'm still not in the right state of mind and responded to this thread too soon.

well, this blew up fast. there's a lot of personal stuff being slung now and i'm not sure i want this to descend any further.

so this is closed for now. i'll consider reopening it monday.

please, everybody, don't start this up again in a new thread. take a breath. go for a walk. whatever it takes to deescalate.

censorship! oppression! irony!

out.

alasdair

Status
Not open for further replies.