The rise in abuse of power, overstepping of bounds, and unbalanced perspectives on BL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahahaha I Just said what you posted tathra. Great minds think alike :)
Yeah, are people mad because BL isn't the Wild West where anyone can say anything without repercussions? What specific actions has any mod taken that you feel is unjust? Do you really think posting racist shit is okay?

its crazy how much leniency the Lounge has been given over the years. But we remove some incontrovertibly racist bullshit and now, all of a sudden, it's no fun anymore?

If you really care about Bluelight, you would participate in the conversation honestly. Give us ideas of how to make it better that doesn't involve allowing racist or bigoted material to go unaddressed.

I’ve found there is no reasoning with liberals/people that think free speech is a dog whistle for hate speech. I hold zero racist views myself but I’m an ironic egdelord that enjoys humor and the ability to say me piece. I appreciate what you guys are trying to do here, but it isn’t what originally attracted me to the board. You guys have evolved as will your user base. This isn’t a tit for tat, it’s just the reality of the internet. Same thing happened at a forum I post at on another site they went hard left and started banning everything to where it wasn’t fun to post at and became a circle jerk of people tattling on each other. So some mods including u/xnotch(the dude that created Minecraft) broke off and created a bad ass new sub based on more libertarian principles. Subsequently it’s a much more interesting/active place to post.

Tldr I think your userbase will change and evolve with the BLUA. BP needs to realize this and either embrace or move on

still interested to understand how we're even having this discussion if "all dissent" is suppressed?

:)

alasdair

^ Maybe dissent was the wrong word. Tbf didn’t you guys just ban/delete a simple meme about censorship? If that’s not banning dissent idk what is :)

Conservative politicians generally don't embrace harm reduction. Harm reduction is a fairly radical idea to some people.

But it's kind of irrelevant - i think the bluelight numbers speak for themselves; the vast majority of bluelighters aren't interested in posting content that our mods are obliged to "censor".

I'm personally more concerned about not alienating people that would be turned off by a culture of accepted bigotry or sexism or whatever.
The forum is a better place for it, and i'm not making any apologies about that.

We're not suppressing anyone's right to be a prejudiced edgelord asshole elsewhere online, or in person.
Bluelight's mods are just continuing to enforce rules that we all agreed to when registered to post here.

So not being a CE&P or TL regular, I've got a few questions.

Does anyone else think that occurrences of unfair decisions made at the expense of members who do not share the same ideological perspective have become increasingly more commonplace?

Despite being a mod with access to TPH and following most RPs plus other relevant threads, I have no idea what you're talking about; could you provide specific examples with sound reasoning as to why said decisions are unfair? Because worded like this, you're making a bold accusation at BL staff without any meat to your argument, and it reflects badly not only on you, but said staff in general, because you're a part of it.

The board's general disposition has shifted heavily to one side, and as a consequence, started ostracizing members who do not share the same ideals.

Again, a bold statement with no evidence to back it up. Please do share instances where a member was infracted or similar simply for holding certain views as opposed to posting content in violation of BLUA, which as swilow stated, is something you agree to if you want to participate in this forum. Because unless you can produce evidence of such instances, what you may be dissatisfied with instead is the BLUA itself, in which case this is not an appropriate way of addressing your dissatisfaction.

Its clear to me that this forum no longer holds values that encourage impartial and non-partisan perspectives in its staff.

Since I'm a relatively new mod, I have no pink nostalgia goggles to distort my view. For the year or so that I've been mod, there are exactly zero occasions that I've witnessed where either a member of the staff was discriminated based on their ideological views or similar, or the consensus was decided not in accordance with objectively weighing mods' objective arguments.

-------

With that said, all you've really done so far with this thread is some spray-n-pray fire with no concrete arguments to base it on; which is furthermore worsened by the fact that you're essentially attacking the mod team you're a part of. The mature way of going about it would be to post this in TPH first.

I also appreciate that alasdairm is open to this thread, which in itself is a clear sign that your arguments are at least partially incorrect; however, the way this thread's OP is worded, to me this doesn't seem like it's going to become anything but disgruntled BLers voicing their discontent for BL (and its mods) whether or not it's justified. It's just a platform for negativity IMO, and is not going to be representative of BLers in general because those who are happy with the way BL is run are much less likely to voice their opinion here than the ones who are not. And since we know that with any reasonable size of forum, there are going to be people that feel unhappy with it, this is meaningless as far as statistics go.

drug users and their sub/countercultures have always been notoriously progressive and liberal, from hippies to ravers to whatever comes next.

True, we just need Bp to realize this. Alt left authoritarian rule = the lounge of the old cannot exist. Just accept it and move on like all the rest of us have.

which part of continuing to post here and setting up an off-site forum to complain about bl and bl'ers for months and months on end is the moving on part?

:)

alasdair

Ooh ooh... Off site forum... That's a great idea. We can call it redlight. :)

Then redlight and bluelight can hate each other and continually become more extreme.. But since both are basically drug harm reduction communities with extreme politics... For all their fighting and hate.. They're basically the same thing at the end of the day.

I love it, it's so meta.

Lol the only one that has a off-site forum set up to complain about BLUA/offilliated with BL is phrozen. There is the FB group too, and it’s a bit more like the site used to be before the exodus. I’m just trying to get BP to realize things, and get him to either goosestep or move on with the rest of us. I love the old lounge crew and have kept up with many folks. Bp is no different, I care more now than ever, with the passing of some of my closer friends from here.

Again, a bold statement with no evidence to back it up. Please do share instances where a member was infracted or similar simply for holding certain views as opposed to posting content in violation of BLUA, which as swilow stated, is something you agree to if you want to participate in this forum. Because unless you can produce evidence of such instances, what you may be dissatisfied with instead is the BLUA itself, in which case this is not an appropriate way of addressing your dissatisfaction.

i can give an example of this not happening. there's a poster in CEP that admits to being an anti-semite*; if people got banned for their personal beliefs or worldview then he would have been permabanned right then and there. instead he gets treated the same way as everyone else, he can post and say whatever he wants so long as it doesn't violate the BLUA or forum guidelines.

we're not here trying to be thought police or any nonsense like that, but we are here to promote civil discussion and ensure that anyone who wants to participate can no matter what their views and beliefs, so long as they stay within the rules they agreed to follow when they joined. nobody gets special treatment, beneficial or detrimental, based on their beliefs, only in response to their actions.

*and the user has my respect for being honest about it instead of trying to lie about it and hide behind plausible deniability

There was an exodus? I must not have been paying attention. But then I also never post in the lounge.

Then there's all the people who don't post in either the lounge of CE&P who are just like "wtf is with all this politics and drama... This isn't a politics forum..."

And seriously.. It's easy to forget but... This really isn't a politics forum. It's a drug forum with a community subsection and a politics subsubsection below that. Honestly when you keep that in mind, and add in the general way drug users think.. That it's unbiased to any degree whatsoever is kinda impressive.

Swillow has done this a few times, hez not the only one. I wouldnt trust his judgement if you paid me.

No offense bro. :(

That's fine, you don't need to trust my judgement anyway.

I think you're being unfair and irrational as usual. Any time these sort of bitchy threads come up I always spend time trying to explain why we do what we do. I've answered your questions many times over the last year in which you've been beating this dead horse. You can't be pleased.

You gave up your role here because you couldn't hack the criticism and it says something appalling about you that you would do the same to others.

Why is droppers being allowed to promote his cesspool here?

I’m not sure why this thread is still open either. Maybe we can close its once we have established it is just the usual crowd whining and complaining about a user agreement that doesn’t tolerate sexism, homophobia, perjorative attacks, and abusive behavior online?

I guess it’s because droppers et al have decided to “move on...”

To be clear, this is the part of BLUA ya’ll complaining about, correct?

BLUA said:
post or upload any content that victimizes, harasses, degrades, or intimidates an individual or group of individuals on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or any other reason;

Why don’t you point out what parts of the BLUA folks are dissatisfied with. That would be more productive than your oh so subtle encouragement to join a fraudulent “community.”

Why is droppers being allowed to promote his cesspool here?
he's not but now the lies have started so i'm pretty much done with that.

I’m not sure why this thread is still open either.
regardless what some here - in this thread even - are saying, opinion is not being suppressed. that is clearly and demonstrably wrong.

i encourage and am interested in a spectrum of opinions so i'd invite people to continue posting their perspectives.

alasdair

Fair enough. I just can’t help but think that there hasn’t been any substantive discussion. I have a profound respect for how patient you’re being with this, but I am struggling to understand how it’s productive.

I mean, these folks are out to prove a consipracy or something. Right, abuse of power...

And as you know, there hasn’t been any of that going on. How is a thread with disgruntled longuers voicing their resentments productive?

I don’t think leaving this opens proves them wrong. Closing it wouldn’t prove them right either, because BP set it up disingenuously for the very start.

If someone would be kind enough to show me an example of this abusive of power, please, for the love of all things sacred and profane, please do share it with us.

Really looking forward to seeing some examples of “power” being abused here, especially on a systems level...

I mean, maybe by leaving it open we will get an obvious quorum of folks demonstrating that the one or two users (sadly, with one of them on still on staff) who are screaming wolf are in fact full of it, but even then...

Sigh... SSDD

Sorry, I just needed to vent. This is a ridiculous situation, and there aren’t any easy answers.

The ironic thing is that it’s the very BLUA some people seem to dislike that allows this now ridiculous thread to continue. But the irony here is probably over their heads.

it's only been open for 2 days - others may have not yet found time to respond.

also, as if often the case with bl threads, the ratio of people who have read the thread to those who have posted is high - about 15:1. personally, my responses are not solely for the eyes of those posting in the thread.

alasdair

If folks sincerely think staff are abusing "power, tell us where and we can try to improve. If we don't know or aren't told, how can we change? So far the accusations have been vague and broad, I think a certain specificity is the only thing that will enable us to explain and/or modify our conduct.

I'm gonna say that we aren't perfect but we are doing our best. There is always room for improvement though.

But the silence from B_P is telling. Its clear this is a chuck a bomb and run away thread. For that reason, I'd be for killing this topic.

Ah, good points Ali. Didn’t really think of that. That’s what getting frustrated get me :\ Time to take my own advice and take BL a little less seriously for the rest of the day.

I think I’ll just do myself a favor and ignore this kafkaesque madness for 24 hrs and see what has unfolded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.