• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Will amphetamines combat opiate side effects?

ThatOneDude!

Bluelighter
basically i smoked a lil too much and feel slightly nauseated, i know its a side effect of the opiate. My question is will doing amphetamines, in my case i have some meth, will that help combat the side effects of doing too much downers?

I know, harm reduction. no matter how i type in google, it just dissects all my words and gives me a million anti drug, pro rehab websites with absolutely NO relevant information.

let me put it bluntly, i smoked a little bit too much heroin, and got a lil nauseous, i also have meth, i've done both many times, i've combined both many times. and i'm wondering if the stimulant will help reverse the side effect from too much downer? does that make sense? or would it just reverse the depressive effects from the opiates and not the nauseous side effect? or will it help with the side effects?

Last edited:
Lots of people do the opposite, use the H to come down from the stimulant.

Since you know what a speedball is, that's effectively what you would be doing as opposed to counteracting one drug with the other.

No it won?t reverse any of the side effects of opiates. It will stimulate your CNS but it?s not gonna prevent an overdose in an emergency scenario. Basically it doesn?t even reverse the CNS depression from opiates, all it does is stimulate your CNS a little more. The opiates are still very much attached to your receptors, the only way to truly reverse that would be narcan

After reading about the whole CTZ part of why opiates induce nausea, its interesting.... because the meth obviously did help. however because the nausea had already kicked in, it was..... confusing to describe. the meth basically masked its effects by some form of pharmakokinetik action i guess.

I also read about the medications used as anti-emetics, and oddly enough, the changes meth induces was opposite of the anti-emetics. such as:

• anticholinergic agents
  • antidopaminergic agents
  • 5-HT3 antagonists
  • H1 antihistamines
  • cannabinoids
  • corticosteroids
  • benzodiazepines
  • NK-1 antagonists
If you notice, meth increases most neurochemicals and physiological effects that the above list is working to reduce, or to do the opposite. Also, I've noticed a lot of anti-emetic medications involve some form of dopamine inhibition as well, which i think is interesting. So maybe I'm not conveying this information accurately. But its interesting to me that meth still helped with the nausea despite it basically did the opposite of the general theme of anti-emetics in more than one way. If i'd known that prior to experience, i'd suggest meth would make the nausea terrible.

So maybe it just eases the opiates off of the CTZ? or it masks its effects with the pharmokonetik properties of meth.... definitely unknown to me. Something i'd like to understand better. That was the initial reason of this thread, because i already knew about why opiates cause nausea by way of the CTZ, so i didnt want to be removing sedation with a stimulant all the while not changing the CTZ reaction, figured it would make nausea worse.....

Here's a quote from a website describing the CTZ for those who dont know:
"The chemoreceptor trigger zone (CTZ), is a ventricle in the brain that is triggered when it detects substances not meant to be in the blood. It’s located in the medulla oblongata, and it works by receiving input from drugs or hormones and triggering other areas of the brain to induce vomiting. There are certain neurotransmitters that can be triggered when someone takes opioids, which is why opiates cause nausea and vomiting. Basically, if someone is nauseous from opiates, it’s probably because their CTZ detected that and sent a message that it was a toxic chemical."

EDIT: On another note, I was uncertain at the time, how they would mix with the nausea set in from the CTZ and the opposing CNS actions of the two. I know they mix nicely, and i can do more downers with stimulants and visa versa. But there are so many variables i'd want to sit down with a pharmacist to discuss lol. So back to my reason for adding the side note, I had also taken Hydroxyzine later followed by some valium, smallest effective dose of each (ime). So its to say that the relief of the nausea was from those two medications. however i took both orally, and snorted the meth. and while i snorted the meth, i felt a sort of immediate relief as the rush set in. but also the nausea came back. so another half line, and same thing. I only did about one more line after that. And i noticed the nausea was about 70% better about the time i'd expect the pills i took orally to start kicking in. So i'm thinking there was a mix of the fact that the opioid induced nausea was starting to fade, all the while everything else was happening.

To conclude, my experiences cannot be used as a valid example.

Last edited:
Short answer, no. This is certainly not one of the illicitly or licitly expected effect from Methamphetamine. What will most likely happen, is that you will use the Methamphetamine and the high will probably overcome the feelings of nausea. I've used Amphetamines before, by chance when I had a sprained ankle, and I didn't notice the pain for the duration of the Amphetamines' effect.

I'm not saying they make great painkillers, but stimulants will certainly distract you from pain to some degree.

Amphetamine don't avoid nausea but can avoid dizziness and drowsiness and too amphetamines get higher the pleasure of opiates. A combo of methamphetamine and oxycodone may be a gift from gods for brain, heart and body

Really ? It will make your symptoms 100 times worse, trust me. Use a benzo

absolutely I've used meth to quit a horrible heroin/methadone addiction many times..... in the very start of your withdrawal you won't want or need speed, but after days 2-3 or 4 , somewhere in there you are gonna find that amphetamines help you cope with alot of the fatigue and confusion and body pain issues, it helped keep me going and pushed me through the worst parts of the PAW symptoms

I'm doing it now, it doesn't take all of the withdrawal away but it definitely helps.