• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Bladder damage from ketamine

Pingu

Bluelighter
A friend of mine was taking ketamine more or less daily for about ten years, and as a result has pretty severe bladder problems. He has to urinate very frequently, and often has cystitis. He has altered his diet, which seems to help, but he still has these problems which are dramatically impacting his quality of life. I have researched something called MSM, which looks like it might help, but he is yet to try it.

Can anyone recommend anything that might be able to help his bladder problems? This includes supplements, exercise, surgery. He would just like it sorted out. Thanks in advance.

This thread will be closed for a number of reasons, but the primary reason being that we can not give you medical advice over the internet. We are not doctors or medical professionals. Also, SWIM/"a friend of mine" isn't used here either.

I wasn't aware of bladder problems caused by ketamine use or anything about the problems, but google or better yet, a doctor is who you should be asking. Good luck.

A friend of mine was taking ketamine more or less daily for about ten years, and as a result has pretty severe bladder problems. He has to urinate very frequently, and often has cystitis. He has altered his diet, which seems to help, but he still has these problems which are dramatically impacting his quality of life. I have researched something called MSM, which looks like it might help, but he is yet to try it.

Can anyone recommend anything that might be able to help his bladder problems? This includes supplements, exercise, surgery. He would just like it sorted out. Thanks in advance.

No swim man ffs pingu!! ;)

Ello mate, hope you're doing alright. x

If you want to control your ability to urinate then you should be doing kegels. They will hone your ability to control the muscle which allows/prevents urination.

I don't see any reason to close the thread, this sounds like pretty standard bluelight material to me, and is worthy of our discussion/advice. Doctors IME aren't great if they can't attribute a label to something and medicate for it. Cliche perhaps, but unfortunately true. Might be better in healthy living though.

Last edited:
Bladder problems from chronic ketamine use are actually very common, the PD subforum has tons of threads about it. The "K pains" are so common there is a term for it. Unfortunately I haven't seen a lot of people saying they've found anything that has worked. I'd say that being as healthy as possible is the best bet, exercise is always good, no matter what. Drinking lots of water helps because it makes your urine less concentrated. Definitely avoid inflammatory foods, definitely avoid alcohol. And, of course, avoid ketamine, and any other arylcyclohexylamines (basically the vast majority of dissociatives, such as DCK, 3-MeO-PCP, MXE, PCP, etc etc). They all seem to have the same issue as ketamine, except ketamine seems to cause the most damage, probably because the dosage is so much higher than it is with the others.