Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Even One Drink A Day May Be Too Much, Study Finds

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Even One Drink A Day May Be Too Much, Study Finds
Alice G. Walton
Forbes
April 13th, 2018

In an attempt to clarify the confusing information about what levels of alcohol are safe vs. risky, a new study in The Lancet reports that the "safe" upper limit for alcohol consumption may be less than we thought, at least here in the U.S. The study largely confirms what other research in the last few years has suggested: that low levels of alcohol consumption seem to be best, whereas "moderate" drinking may actually be too much.

To look at the issue, the University of Cambridge-led team looked at 83 earlier studies on the drinking habits of some 600,000 people from 19 countries around the world. They correlated alcohol consumption with health outcomes over the next seven to eight years, adjusting for other variables like smoking status, diabetes, and age.

Overall, the team found that the safe limit of drinking was about 100g of alcohol, or the equivalent of five drinks, per week. Having more than this started to raise the risk of disease: for instance, those who drank more than 100g/week raised their risk of stroke by 14%, fatal hypertensive disease (high blood pressure) by 24%, heart failure by 9%, and fatal aortic aneurysm (burst blood vessel) by 15%. Having 10 or more drinks per week was linked to one to two years reduced life expectancy, while having 18 drinks or more per week was linked with four to five years shorter life.

Moderate alcohol consumption was linked to reduction in non-fatal heart attack risk, but the authors say this apparent benefit didn't offset the risks that drinking poses.

Read the full story here.

Ah yes - Ethyl Alcohol ('Alcoholic Beverages').

The legalized psychotropic drug which, apart from being overrated in general, is a well-known carcinogen, as well as a neurotoxin (kills brain cells) and hepatotoxin (and liver cells) to boot. The very same intoxicant whose withdrawal from those who're physically-dependent is considered a medical emergency as known symptoms can include delirium, seizures, coma and even death.

Furthermore, Ethyl Alcohol is more of a 'gateway drug' than Cannabis Sativa/Indica ('Marijuana') ever could be, given that its modulation of GABA-A receptors potently-inhibits the inhibitions of its users; which is the reason why drunk individuals commonly become violent and/or engage in the type of risky behavior (unprotected sex, other drug use) which they'd never do while sober.

Globally, its consumption contributes to approximately one death every ten seconds, and when it comes to warning users of the dangers associated with Ethyl Alcohol's consumption, it typically-arrives in a deceptively vague phrase which usually goes as follows: "Please enjoy responsibly." Shall we drink to that?

Now please don't get me wrong, I am not here to stop you from doing what you want, and what is your right, with your own body, for I too consume booze in the form of a beer or two with a BBQ lunch, or a glass of wine with dinner. And on occasion, I also happen to enjoy an aged tequila as well as certain brands of spiced rum. As such, I'd be a monumental two-timer to judge others for that which I partake in.

So, to be clear, I only wish to highlight the hypocrisy of our insane war on politically-incorrect drugs, which results in yet another American citizen being busted every ~40 seconds for non-violent possession of a small amount of what amounts to parts of a freakin' plant. But then again, it's possible you're in the know about the acute and long-term adverse effects associated with the use of Ethanol, as well as the aforementioned futile-injustice of a war, good day.

They adjusted for smoking status and age... not lifestyle, other substance use, etc. I'd be willing to bet people who have 2-3 drinks a day have some other issues going on that would increase their overall mortality than people who have 0-1.

Ah yes - Ethyl Alcohol ('Alcoholic Beverages').

The legalized psychotropic drug which, apart from being overrated in general, is a well-known carcinogen, as well as a neurotoxin (kills brain cells) and hepatotoxin (and liver cells) to boot. The very same intoxicant whose withdrawal from those who're physically-dependent is considered a medical emergency as known symptoms can include delirium, seizures, coma and even death.

Furthermore, Ethyl Alcohol is more of a 'gateway drug' than Cannabis Sativa/Indica ('Marijuana') ever could be, given that its modulation of GABA-A receptors potently-inhibits the inhibitions of its users; which is the reason why drunk individuals commonly become violent and/or engage in the type of risky behavior (unprotected sex, other drug use) which they'd never do while sober.

Globally, its consumption contributes to approximately one death every ten seconds, and when it comes to warning users of the dangers associated with Ethyl Alcohol's consumption, it typically-arrives in a deceptively vague phrase which usually goes as follows: "Please enjoy responsibly." Shall we drink to that?

Now please don't get me wrong, I am not here to stop you from doing what you want, and what is your right, with your own body, for I too consume booze in the form of a beer or two with a BBQ lunch, or a glass of wine with dinner. And on occasion, I also happen to enjoy an aged tequila as well as certain brands of spiced rum. As such, I'd be a monumental two-timer to judge others for that which I partake in.

So, to be clear, I only wish to highlight the hypocrisy of our insane war on politically-incorrect drugs, which results in yet another American citizen being busted every ~40 seconds for non-violent possession of a small amount of what amounts to parts of a freakin' plant. But then again, it's possible you're in the know about the acute and long-term adverse effects associated with the use of Ethanol, as well as the aforementioned futile-injustice of a war, good day.

tbf there are lots of dangerous plants, if people started weaponizing gympie or castor bean they would regulate it. Not that I think weed is dangerous at all but the argument "it's a plant" isn't a good one.

'they' already have in the case of castor bean, at least, ricin is a listed select agent, in terms of US legislation on chemical and biological weapons.

Not to mention by the enormous number of plant cardio toxins.

The "its just a plant" argument is terrible. It's an argument formed form ignorance that just happens to have the advantage that it's being used against a group who's entire position is generally born from ignorance.

Poppies are a plant too. Scopolamine, nightshade, mandrake. There are LOTS of powerful chemicals that come from plants. Some lifesaving, some very deadly.

And if you expand that argument further to its "its all natural" version which is also stupid it keeps getting worse. All natural, just like anthrax, and smallpox, and botulism.