• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Salvinorin A

You'd probably have overdosed unintentionally even if you didn't plan on it. Propofol has been responsible for the deaths of quite a number of anaesthetists who have gone and sneaked a few vials out of the med cabinets. And thats people who KNOW what they are doing with the stuff.

At a clinical dose, its not as if there is much of a high, I've had propofol before for surgical induction and you don't really feel much even before you pass out moments later. I'd be curious enough to try a far below anaesthetic dose, but still, its not something I'd actually go and try. I've had the opportunity to buy kilo and half kilo containers of pure propofol, probably still could if I wanted to, but I wouldn't actually buy any unless I needed a 2,6-diisopropylphenyl group added to something. And I doubt very much if I'd try taking the stuff. If I had some sort of nasty neurodegenerative condition, then sure, since I could be sure not to wake up again, mixed in with a ton of opiates etc. but otherwise, stuff is too risky to fuck with.

In the case of the H2O-soluble fospropofol, can that be used via the IM route in low doses?

In my experience of anaesthetic doses of propofol (never had fospropofol), there was no rush, it was just 'injection....wake up later' with nothing in between. As far as anaesthetics go, (carefully used) sevoflurane is far preferable.

I have heard others find lots of euphoria with it. Guess not.

Also wondering if the salvinorin analogs are unscheduled as well? Probably?

Wondering if I am the first human who would consider using the -B methoxymethyl ether

Well it isn't impossible, as propofol is very amnesic, but I do remember the induction phase itself, and I don't remember any euphoria, other than that from the sevoflurane (LOVE that stuff, and it tastes so good too=D) and that has a very distinctive signature it, like diethyl or diisopropyl ether, only with the warmth that comes with nitrous, and not the GABAergic/cannabinergic signature that one would expect of propofol. It didn't seem euphoric, or to give a rush.

And as for pondering MOM-salvinorin B...no, you aren't. It isn't one I've gotten round to yet, as its not one of my high priority projects, but its definitely something I've thought about. Just need the right time, and time when I'm not up to my ass in fuming fuck knows what, which seems to be a rather large proportion of my time. Its either tinkering with something organic, torching thebejeezis out of something inorganic with a view to using the results to perform the former, or else recycling the byproducts of either of the two, or the solvents used to do whatever that might have been (I'm very big on recycling when it comes to chemistry, I actually hardly throw out anything as trash, a few things, such as escaping gases, yes, and some others, since if I didn't get rid of SOME wastes I'd be drowning in carbonates, caustic waste and sodium acetate, but generally, I make sure to plan ahead so whatever would otherwise be earmarked for disposal ends up salvaged, purified and used for something else. Better for the environment and better for the wallet, win-win situation.)

You blow your own glass as well LC? Honestly, not surprised, Worthwhile endeavor for any chemist.

I used to get by as a lampworker, not something I would want to take up professionally again, hard as fuck work for not enough money. I still got my carlisle, and a few boxes open boxes of this and that handy, but I never have the motivation to get any o2 anymore. And honestly when I do and I am really starting to get into the swing of things I start feeling guilty about how much I am spending, but even if I bring the cost down with liquid I can barely keep up with the tanks off venting enough to justify it. But I would love to get a few concentrators and a smaller GTT and focus more on the art side of things.

No, well, slightly, I can just about repair some pieces of glass if they break, blowing glass with talent is something I've wanted to learn since I was a kid, never known where to go to learn though. And in my case, it might not be for money, but say, something like the ability to build my own fused quartz or vycor ware would be fucking fantastic, since its so expensive.

I've bought quite a lot of glass though, I mean, readymade kit, mostly 24/40 for my regular work, although a few pieces with a shorter joint but same taper, along with some microscale (5, 10ml etc) still/reflux apparatus and microscale flasks.

I was just wondering the other day about how much I've spent, and I found it hard to get much of an idea, but probably somewhere between 20-30k including chemical and solvent consumption over the years, and I've been into chemistry since I was tall enough to bite you on the knees.

I know what you mean about feeling a bit about how much money goes into the hobby. My best guess is between ?500-1.5k every few weeks after I've saved enough to go blow a ton of money and expand both capabilities and reagent supplies.

You got any recommendations as for resources for learning the techniques, and for buying the resources for blowing glass? its just the sort of thing that I'd love to dive into.

Can post more, if anyone wants to see, thats just a fraction of the glass I've bought. Still waiting for a replacement for some more as well, some bugger sent me a 24/40 cow that had a broken vac takeoff. I'm pissed, one came as intended, the second had a fucking broken vac barb, and I've been waiting months. Also got a fridge, for keeping volatiles like DCM, THF, ether, acetonitrile, and nasty ass reagents like iodine monochloride (the dark bottle in the second to last pic, stored in a chemical resistant bottle, threads wrapped in teflon tape for good measure, because it destroys most everything else it gets near within minutes in the case of plastics, and hours for stainless), or bromine, chromyl chloride etc. The kinds of reagents that want to rip your face off basically.

Plus, a couple of the kitchen cupboards have had to be repurposed for storing reagents, plus some bits of glassware and electronics, such as my molten metal heating bath (electronically heated, temp. controller, uses molten lead for its heat conduction, although I want to replace it with molten bismuth or a gallium-indium eutectic for safety purposes, since using the thing, it makes my mouth feel like sucking on copper coins would feel, I can taste the astringency of lead fumes, so sod that for a lark, its not been used since that, need to get a couple of kilos of bismuth or indium and gallium for that as a replacement. Its both toxic and tastes vile)

What a mess.

You'd never get away with benches that messy in my lab, sir :)

Thats a storage room. For the things I cant find room for. Nothing nasty left out exposed (the worst left air-exposed being aq. NaBr, and a small amount of willy pete under water (not enough, should even the worst happen to cause a bit of a garlic stink and some smoke), I've got to PUT the buggering things somewhere. I'm running out of space.

Besides, I'm probably fucked, I don't have that much to worry about, it won't be me cleaning it up after I'm dead=D
Call me cynical, but I do pity the poor fuck who has to tidy up when I'm gone. I wonder how far the body parts are going to spread, but really, I'm past giving a damn at this point in time.

Are there any practical reasons why salvinorin analogs haven't been produced/used in mainstream RC culture?

Aside from dysphoria, etc?

"Structural modification of SalA has been complicated by its instability, and efficient total synthesis has been frustrated by its dense, complex architecture."

- from Roach, Jeremy J. et al. ?Dynamic Strategic Bond Analysis Yields a Ten-Step Synthesis of 20-nor-Salvinorin A, a Potent Κ-OR Agonist.? ACS Central Science 3.12 (2017): 1329?1336. PMC. Web. 27 Apr. 2018. (not sure if linking this paper qualifies as synthesis talk but it's open access and you can find it if you search for the title or journal name and issue number)

Everything I've read about salvinorin/neoclerodane synthesis suggests that it's hard. (I will point out I don't know a lot about chemistry, especially when it comes to organic synthesis. So it's possible that I'm getting the wrong impression just because I don't understand it. Anyway I'm going to shut up about synthesis now.)