• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Embeda and Suboxone

I'm very sorry to hear you can't go back to your doctor right now, and that you are almost out of morphine. That just means you are going to have to be a little stronger, and do more prepetration on your own, but you can do it. I hate the idea of me saying anything that causes you discomfort, but I would try my hardest to not ever start on the suboxone. And that means going cold turkey first(which I believe is your plan) I wasn't sure if you actually had 5mg oxycodones on hand or not, but if I were in your situation and had such little experience with tapering, opiate WD, and suboxone, I would use them as sparingly as possible to deal with my pain until I could get in to see my doctor, I don't know what your financial situation looks like or if you have to report in to work or not, popping 5mg oxycodone every 4 hours because you have to show up to work could actually be a step backwards. I'm honestly a little self-conscious about what I say right now, because Keif was totally correct in what he said. I don't want you to take anything I say as gospel or get you to do something you aren't totally on board with.

But if this is a good time to do this, don't let me stop you.

and take .25 of an 8mg Suboxone

That sounds like you plan on taking 1/4th of a strip, or 2mg. Not that this is an outrageous dose, but If you are trying to taper off the sub in 4 days, in my opinion, it is going to be easier, in the long run, to induct with the smallest amount possible. Although it would definitely be easier in the short term to just dose 2mg, and move down from there. Honestly, if you have the time, I would start with .5mg, or 1/16th of a strip. and then add .25mg every 90 minutes until you feel better. But that could mean feeling pretty awful for a few hours. I know working with the strip at these small doses can be tough, you can use tweezers and a very small pair of sharp scissors or a razor blade and cut the strip into tiny squares. Or create a solution, and use volumetric dosing.

Just getting it down to .5mg per dose means cutting that strip in quarters, then each quarters into quarters. You'd then have to half each peice to get down to .25mg, you can see how quickly this becomes a physical barrier to taking such low doses. Now I do know quick tapers are much more forgiving, for all I know you would be fine taking .5mg a day or even .5mg twice a day then stopping if taking bupe for less than a week. But in my personal experience, which is with people taking it for very long periods of time, they want to get to .25mg per day or less and stabilize on that dose before stopping.

Here is a quote from another message board about someone doing just that.(volumetric dosing)

I crushed an 8mg pill and dissolved it in 10 ml of water, so every 1ml of water would contain .8 mg (800mcg) of Suboxone. This was a reduction of .2mgs (200mcg) of Suboxone from the dose I was taking at the time. I used an oral syringe that meaured in mls (available at pharmacies, used for measuring kid's cough syrup, etc.) to dose myself with a half a ml in the morning and half a ml at night. I know Dr. J is big on the one dose per day thing, but my doctor ok'd the 2 times a day because I have chronic pain issues and it works better for me that way. I keep the solution in an empty pill bottle in the fridge so it doesn't get funky.

I kept the amount of water low so that the solution would be fairly For a quick taper, you probably could be fine jumping off at .5
concentrated, and it works really well. The dose does seem to hit me a lot faster than when waiting for a pill to dissolve though, which caught me off guard at first. As always, I am shocked at how strong a drug Suboxone is. Even at .4mgs per dose, I can definitely feel it when I take it.

You can also google volumetric dosing and read up on it a little until you have a firm grasp on the concept, and can adjust the amount of liquid to both meet your needs and suit the tools you have available. You can use a metered dropper, an oral syringe, or a real syringe with no needle on it. I know for a lot of Americans the metric system can be a little tricky at first, but its based on 10's. 1 liter = 1000 milliliter, 1 gram = 1000 milligrams, 8mg = 8000 micrograms. 500 micorgrams(mcg) = .5mg(milligrams)

A good idea might be to use 8ml of water so that 1ml = 1mg, and half a milliliter would be half a milligram. If thats help conceptually.

I don't want to deter you from your stated goal of 4 days, but if that pace seems unreasonable or at the end of the 4 days you aren't quite ready to stop don't be too hard on yourself, if you need to extend that to a week there is nothing wrong with that. I don't know how much suboxone you have on hand, if it is only 1 strip, then I personally would try to struggle through the WDs during induction the best I could so I would have more on hand to extend my taper if necessary.

I know these seem like miniscule doses, but jumping off at even .5mg per day of suboxone can be rough. Of course this applies more to someone who has been on suboxone maintenance for a very long time, quick tapers are much more forgiving. Since you have chronic pain where people would normally try to tough it out at night to stick to 1 dose a day, I know that is when you are going to be hurting the most, and I think its probably going to be better to not be exhausted and drained both physically and mentally from not sleeping at night due to no pain relief; perhaps try to get down to .1mg twice a day.

And let me just say that when it comes to QUICK buprenorphine tapers, I am NO EXPERT. If one of our wonderful moderators such as toothpastedog, Kief Richards, or one of our many very knowledgeable members has more first hand knowledge of the subject and is already helping you through private messages, take their advice over mine. Especially when it comes to how aggressively you should taper, and what is a good stopping dose.

I'm just trying to offer as many plausible choices as I feel comfortable suggesting, and hoping they are able to inspire you to come up with a plan that works for you, I'm very sympathetic to someone in your situation who has only been following the advice of their doctor, and imagine you must be feeling pretty lost and overwhelmed right now trying to soak up all this new information so quickly, and knowing which choice to make must feel impossible.

edit: Here is the link to the thread that quote can be found in. It's basically a diary of said user tapering off lower doses of suboxone. I thought reading his experiences and what symptoms he faced could be useful.(there's no problem with linking to another message board is there mods?)

http://www.suboxforum.com/liquified-suboxone-taper-method-far-good-t296.html

Last edited:
toothpastedog.........I think you sent the message yesterday sometime. It had a ton of great advice on what meds will help with WD and even food to have on hand, etc. It was a very long list of things. I just can't find it and I have looked about 6 times. Thanks!

coolwhip.........wow.......thanks so much for the long message. I do not have strips, I have seven 8mg pills of Sub. I'm half asleep right now and I read everything, but need to read it all again. I am on disability and don't have to go to work thank god, because I don't know how I would get through this if I had to work. Since I have been on morphine extended release do you suggest waiting 48 hours after my last dose before I take Suboxone? I have not been on oxycodone 5mg for over a week and really don't want to take anymore. I can try my best to not use Sub and just tough it out, but if I am really climbing out of my skin and can't sleep, etc., I feel I will need Sub for about 4 days or so. I don't plant to stay on it long term. I am so afraid if I were ever in a car accident or injured where I needed narcotics that they would not work on me. I got next to no relief from Embeda as far as my back pain goes and I wonder if that is because he had me on Sub for 2 years prior to Embeda. Thanks once again for all of your help. I just can't believe how so many people are reaching out to me. So many really kind people!

toothpastedog.........I think you sent the message yesterday sometime. It had a ton of great advice on what meds will help with WD and even food to have on hand, etc. It was a very long list of things. I just can't find it and I have looked about 6 times. Thanks!

Oy vey... I deleted a bunch of old messages yesterday :( was it about how to treat acute withdrawal?

Partly about that, but it also had a long list of meds, food, that would help with the WD. I took my last morphine at 6pm yesterday so I am thinking it will hit around 7 or 8 tonight. No worries if you can't find it. Thanks again!!

Last edited:
I'm 41 hours into withdrawal. Took my last morhpine xr at 6pm Tuesday night. Withdrawals are really bad. Any advice on when I can safely start suboxone? I am trying to make it to 48 hours but don't think I can. Have tried calling all kinds of 800 numbers and no one will help. Thanks!

It’s hard to say for sure, but 7 more hours isn’t that bad. The longer you wait the better buprenorphine will work. Do you have any extra gabapentin you can take in the meantime?

Yes, but I took 2 extra pills last night and still had very bad restless leg syndrome. I am on hold with my pharmacy right now. Thanks for your help

I just want to thank everyone for all of your help. I just took 1/8 of a Suboxone tablet and felt relief in 5 minutes. I did find out from my pharmacy that XR morphine is out of your system in 12 - 18 hours so I waited 41 hours to take it.

Nice. Hope you’re starting to feel better!

Any plans on where you’ll go with all this from here?

A note for next time that one should use the clinical opioid withdrawal symptoms chart (COWS chart) to rate ones withdrawals as that is the best way to figure out if one is ready to take Suboxone. Although taking SR morphine that would be 12 hours to stop releasing and 4x5=20 hours+12 hours=32 hours from last dose to be sure one is ready to start bupenorphine from SR morphine, hydromorphone, and likely hydrocodone formulations as that would be 5 half lives after the last pill finishes releasing. Oxycodone though might take longer likely due to metabolising into oxymorphone, which has a 7-9 hour half life making it 9x5=45+12=57 hours to be sure ones ready to take bupe after either oxy form.

These aren't minimum recommendations and if by using the cows sheet one rates high enough in withdrawal symptoms to start using bupe before any of those time recommendations then you're likely ready to use. The time estimations are just based off metabolism estimates of when one would be clear of most of the compound that needs to be cleared, but one is likely able to start bupe before that.

toothpaste dog..........thanks so much for everything! I feel great! I have mixed feelings on what I should do now. I really don't want to stay on Suboxone. I think I might ask my doctor how he feels about Methadone. I don't know much about it, but do remember hearing it's very addictive, but what isn't? Even though Embeda 30mg did not really touch my pain, I did sleep very well on it. For the past 3 years I have had major issues with sleeping. I'm lucky if I get 3 hours a night because my pain wakes me up all through the night. I might ask him for a higher dose of an extended release morphine. I didn't like the way I felt on Embeda. I had really bad headaches while taking it. I have rambled on long enough. I really appreciate all of your help. Have a great day!

In my experience opioids don't necessarily take away pain, but give one the ability to overcome pain if there's a pain that blocks causes tension or whatnot affecting range of motion and the likes. Pain is a necessary part of life and doesn't mean something's wrong. It is even it is spiking something is wrong

Btw let us know what you do with treatment moving forward. Good luck!

And I think taco is right in about opioids and pain.