• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

enlightenment

Akoto

Bluelighter
Is the responsible and purposeful use of psychedelic drugs a valid tool in the search for enlightenment?

I don't think it makes sense to speak of valid/invalid routes to enlightenment (or to speak of enlightenment as something that is ever fully attained). If something enlightens someone, I'm not sure what would invalidate that. If the knowledge gained turns out to be somehow false, it wasn't knowledge and the person wasn't enlightened, but that's still a 'valid' process in any way I can understand the term.

Can you expand on your question?

Can you expand on your question?

I guess I'm trying to see for myself if there is anything to be learned by using drugs or if they are simply recreational. Yes I've heard of the double-helix story, as well as a couple others, but I'm not sure.

That's sort of like taking a shortcut on your way to enlightenment. In buddhism, you have to always maintain a clear mind. So it's not really a type of enlightenment where many masters would acknowledge I don't think.
But you should ask more appropriate parties about such a question. I've tried gaining enlightenment once through LSD. I could tell it was false because it didn't last and it just didn't feel right. It isn't such an easy thing to drop and think you'll achieve enlightenment.
Try meditating sober a lot.

In a nutshell:
For me psychedelics are definitely worth exploring, I actually feel like I've learned a lot. They won't automatically make you "enlightened" (whatever that means) but they can drastically change your perspective, for good or bad.

I guess the title of this thread should have been "Have you ever learned something from drugs?"

I've learned things about myself through acid & shroom trips that weren't clear before. They can be quite insightful. I'd do shrooms again if I was in the right setting. Last time I did them was at a guns n roses concert I went to in 2016. It was so last minute, but one of the guys we went with had like everything on him and he gave me a few stems and caps. it was wild. I had a blast.

The main thing I love about psychedelics is their way of propelling my ideas through to their conclusion. It's tough to say because I can't say that the drug taught me something I didn't know before, it's more like it helped make explicit something I had only a vague idea of.

Some of my friends have told me they've seen, or rather been shown, things on psychedelics which give them new information, e.g. seeing a vision of the afterlife, but I think they're just deluding themselves.

I liked what sam harris said on this topic. Drugs can open a new door in your mind, to the possibility of expanded consciousness.

Sam took mdma sometime in the 80s I think, and he was so blown away by compassion he felt for other human beings, that he has been trying to reach that same frame of mind, using different methods, ever since. Methods like meditation and yoga.

The main thing I love about psychedelics is their way of propelling my ideas through to their conclusion. It's tough to say because I can't say that the drug taught me something I didn't know before, it's more like it helped make explicit something I had only a vague idea of.

Some of my friends have told me they've seen, or rather been shown, things on psychedelics which give them new information, e.g. seeing a vision of the afterlife, but I think they're just deluding themselves.

I totally agree. I can't help but laugh at people who say they were given some "divine insight" from drugs. I feel like they're missing the point, the idea is to explore YOUR consciousness and gain insight into your own life. Attributing it to obscure entities or what have you defeats the whole purpose of the psychedelic mindset.

People just can't go without putting labels on things in an effort to understand something that just isn't easily understood.

Psychedelics are fine so exploring your mind. Just be careful if you have a type of trip where you are given messages or signs that you're the chosen one. Lol