• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Night Terrors? I scream in my sleep almost every night

SpaceCadet144

Greenlighter
i scream in my sleep almost every night. Worse when I'm drunk I hear but still even when I'm sober. I'm scaring my nephews. I'm keeping people up and afraid to go to sleep. I've been not really have had the most easiest life ever. I'm not one to bitch about anything. But I'm just curious if anyone else had this problem. I'm seeking professional help and got an dr apt Friday

I had severe sleep disturbances in my twenties and they just went away on their own. I look back on it now and think, "Well, it was an intense time of life and I was dealing with a lot internally." Sounds like this could be true for you as well.

Yeah it maybe I'm a very introverted sorta person. I believe in Asbergers as well, I was diagnosed with ADD and Dislexia in the past. I'm obsessed with psychoactive substances always have been. I'm wouldn't consider myself an addict to anything other then alcohol right now. In the past I was addicted to "spice" basically random cannabinoids sprayed on plant matter. I've had binges on random other psychoactive substances but never technically became an everyday thing. Right now I live a pretty simple life really I work construction as a carpenter. I drink daily and smoke cannabis. I guess I use methamphetamine on occasion. I feel like yes other traumatic events could be part of it I just don't think I'm unhappy in any way. So this screaming thing it's the worst.

I don't know if I still have them, last time my friend stayed over said I was 'noisy' all night when I was passed out drunk so I i probably didn't remember them. Have had them since middle school though

It's tricky when you are dealing with the subconscious. My brother has been dealing with substance abuse issues all practically his life with the exception of when he was little obviously. He also has always been known as someone that screams in his sleep--usually stuff that sounds like he is being chased or threatened. We used to laugh about it when he was little but now I wonder about the connection to his waking struggles. I have always intuitively felt that, though he is introspective in the way that so many people are that have gone through multiple rehabs and years of recovery therapy groups, that he just can't find a way to get to that deepest childhood stuff that made him so frightened.

So update Went to th doctor they put me on welburtin and someone other drug I'll let you guys know in a little while I forget. I was diagnosed with PTSD and night terrors. Do you guys think it's wise to use my PTSD diagnosis to get medical cannabis I use it anyway anyway.

i scream in my sleep almost every night. Worse when I'm drunk I hear but still even when I'm sober. I'm scaring my nephews. I'm keeping people up and afraid to go to sleep. I've been not really have had the most easiest life ever. I'm not one to bitch about anything. But I'm just curious if anyone else had this problem. I'm seeking professional help and got an dr apt Friday

I never used to, but I've been screaming in my sleep and waking myself from Night Terrors basically every night for the last 12 months. My wife often wakes me and I take a few minutes to calm down and often I read for half an hour or so before going back to sleep.

Anyhow, I mention this as prior to a year ago, I always slept well, with my only sleep-habits been giggling/laughing while I slept and I almost never had nightmares/terrors.

Ultimately, I traced it to an anti-depressant I'd started taking. Prior to taking this, I'd NEVER been on AD meds before (or any other mood/psych meds).

The medication in question was venlafaxine 150 mg (Effexor)

EDIT: I'll just add - this is a really common side-effect of Effexor - many, many people experience regular Night Terrors after starting on these meds. It's also common for other psych-meds. So if you're on any medication, I'd have a look into it.

I'm in the process of coming off mine now as a direct result of the Night Terrors.

Last edited:
So update Went to th doctor they put me on welburtin and someone other drug I'll let you guys know in a little while I forget. I was diagnosed with PTSD and night terrors. Do you guys think it's wise to use my PTSD diagnosis to get medical cannabis I use it anyway anyway.

Depending on the state you are at, they practically hand out medical cannabis cards. Plus disability gets a discount but I hate saying I have a disability so I just pay the price. It definitely helps with sleep, makes my thoughts 'foggy' when i'm having a flashback, helps with the appetite when I am hypervigilant and whatnot. Avoiding alcohol helps.