• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

If cocaine is a much stronger stimulant than Bupropion, why does snorting...

It really isn't worth my while to produce any alcohol alternative for personal use clubcard, I drink SO rarely that it wouldn't be worth the synthesis time it would demand to be taken from other projects. And usually when I do drink, its a glass here, a glass there, I did decide to knock myself out with it a week ago, but the last time before that I drank alcohol, it was two shots, spread over a considerable number of days, that were offered to me by my old man, as I'd bought him a bottle of spiced rum for his b/day and he offered me a glass, twice. Other people might benefit from these alternatives, but probably not me, really. I'm definitely not an alcoholic, and I'm not a social drinker either, really, because I'm not a social person, being autie and all=D

Its either 'thirsty, want a beer' or 'practical, easily available short-duration knockout tool', the latter for very occasional use.

I prefer to get drunk the polish way, if I do at all, that is to say, with ether.

Also, its not B6 thats the primary problem with alcoholic vitamin depletion, its thiamine, B1, although that isn't to say that alcoholics don't usually have a shite diet, but its thiamine depletion that results in Korsakoff's syndrome and/or Wernicke's encephalopathy.

Last edited:
That's strange - in the UK doctors prescribe 'strong B6' (in those words) to alcoholics. I don't drink so it isn't something I've read up about.

Well, its doubtless a good idea, since alcoholics generally do not have a great diet and need vitamin replacement when being detoxed (well they do anyway but thats when its more likely to happen), but it is thiamine depletion which is the cause of Korsakoff's and Wernicke's .)

I don't drink much either, but as for reading up about it...I read about everything, I can't help it, I'm a compulsive knowledge-addict. A healthy (and rather liberal) sprinkling of autism saw to that since..well since I first taught myself to read with Phillips' et. al. (mycology field guide). An autie-didact spazz polymath, thats me. Couldn't help it at age 4 when I first got that textbook, and can't help it nearly 3 decades later. If I can find it, almost certainly I'll read it if it isn't fiction. (I do read fiction, sometimes, but not very much, I'd rather bury my head in a textbook and learn something useful)

I daresay, the talk of drinking, just reminded me of the cherry wine I bought a week or two ago, it might well never have been consumed if I hadn't had a reminder it was there :p

The Thiamine, vitamin B1, is linked to Korsakoff not gonna link it's wellknown. The vitamin B6 could have served another role unknown to me.

Some GP/ dr. I worked for after he got disabled by a stroke got one of the best arsenals of medicin I ever witnissed. Notably over here you will hardly get what you need when you need it. Kinda like a 3rd world country with the exception there are not OTC goodies either.
He was alcoholic, and partly disabled cause of the stroke. He got prescribed lots of med's including:
Diazepam, Baclofen, Campral and Vitamin B1.

The Campral/ Acamprosate I had literary never seen or heard about. He told me it reduced craving and the ammounts he would drink.

People don't get seizures from it. I think less than 10 people did as an anorexant phase 3 trial at 600+mg. It simply is no higher than fluoxetine at 20mg (for 450mg of IR bupropion).

Everyone needs to forget that shit.

To support my end post, I have seen numerous people ingest 2000mg XR numerous times. No seizures.

To support my end post, I have seen numerous people ingest 2000mg XR numerous times. No seizures.

Well the FDA took it of the market BECAUSE of it's propensity to cause seizures so with all due respect, a sample size of 1 has no statistical significance. inferring safety on such a basis is not harm reduction. If you really want to help with HR, just keep upping the dose until you do have a seizure - then we will have a sample size of 1 proving that it DOES cause seizures.

Last edited:
Can you then tell me what I can abstract from that text. It is dated 1989 I don't get how something so old contains information about the seisure risk at higher doses being exaggerated or non existent. At least that was what I was aiming for the discussion, as modocmodoc used only his personal experiences to claim it's safety profile. As far as I know Bupropion at higher doses has a seizure risk. But I am not up to date on it's recent status.

But because it is put forward as some kinda stimulant, anti depressant also usefull as tool for smoking cessation. People aim for the first and try to get a high from it. I did and so will others. I didn't exceed the limit and stayed below. And I didn't get high or speedy which imo is impossible on Bupropion. But others might take to much and risk a seizure if that is actually a risk like I believe.

Last edited:
I believe clubcard thought your comment was directed at him, emkee_reinvented, and probabaly didn't realize the other posters username is modocmodoc.

Modocmodoc seems to be under the impression that is buproprion carries a seizure risk then it should be able to illicit seizures in EVERYONE who takes a higher than recommended dose. And doesn't understand that while a higher dosage raises the risk, some people are more prone to seizure than others. Just the fact that he can't grasp that simple concept probably means trying to convince him to change his views on, probably anything, with empirical data is a total waste of time.

That's the impression I had thanks for clearing it up Coolwhip. You were right I was reacting on the claim modocmodoc did not on anything clubcard posted So discard my last post I think we are all on the same boat here concerning the seizure risk.

People don't get seizures from it. I think less than 10 people did as an anorexant phase 3 trial at 600+mg. It simply is no higher than fluoxetine at 20mg (for 450mg of IR bupropion).

Everyone needs to forget that shit.

600mg per day is still a therapeutic dose (heck, up until a few years ago it was commonly dosed this high for antidepressant purposes).

600mg divided into 4 oral doses (or via 2 XR tablets) isn't really comparable to people snorting the same amount or more at once to get high. Especially since the people desperate enough to do that are often polydrug users that may be on various other meds that might either directly lower their seizure threshold, and/or compete with bupropion for CYP2D6 (tramadol being an infamous offender).

I think people just don't appreciate how dangerous seizures can be, they tend to think its an acceptable risk if the odds are low enough, but its not. They can kill you outright, but imagine if one occurs to someone driving on the freeway, it could easily wipe out a family. Not to mention without context numbers mean nothing, mocdoc talks about 10 people experiencing seizures, is this 10/1000? That's 1%, thats an exetremely high number of people experiencing seizures, especially when talking about drugs that are as widely employed as anti-depressants.

And one minute he is talking about the seizure risk at prescribed levels then using that to defend the act of trying to abuse bupropion by taking high doses and snorting it? Makes no sense at all. Why would we want to forget that bupropion can induce seizures in certain populations at high enough dose levels when people are asking about abusing it? That's just stupid.

Last edited:
Looking at how they got it back on the market tells you everything you need to know about the pharmaceutical industry. Things like rosiglitazone, reboxetine, rofecoxib & cerivastatin are WORSE than nothing and yet even when evidence was mounting, they kept going to court to keep them on the market for as long as possible. When the fines are orders of magnitude smaller than the profits generated, don't be surprised when people die. Bupropion shouldn't have been re-introduced....