European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Codeine Linctus sugar or sugarfree?

Fenty

Greenlighter
Tried my local pharmacies and none did it so ordered a bottle online. Can't believe there isnt a codeine-only thing OTC to reduce the risk of organ failure?

For future does the sugar in the non-sugarfree affect the absorption and effect?

Is there a ceiling effect with an amount of codeine you can have in a short time like 400mg?

Looking forward to trying some with longtec (oxycodone hydrochloride) 15mgs I have left over

There is a LOT of sugar in codeine linctus so perhaps it could have a counter-effect to the codeine, I'm not sure. Some people have said the sugar-free linctus gave them unpleasant effects such as diarrhoea

Sugar free is definitely better. All those grams of sugar will give you a stomachache.

The Care+ brand which is the most common does not contain sorbitol or anything else that will cause any problems in the sugar free version, so that's what you want.

The sugar free version by Pinewood does contain sorbitol but it's also far less commonly stocked. The Care+ brand is what you get most of the time.

They ought to make a sugar free version that also doesn't contain any sweeteners - for us weirdos that actually like the bitterness of codeine... :!

Is it true that above 400mg codeine in a short time does nothing cus the liver cant process that much?

Does sugar not speed up the absorption and increase/reduce the effect?

also could the sorbitol counteract the constipation if its a laxative then aha?

Is it true that above 400mg codeine in a short time does nothing cus the liver cant process that much?

Summat like that, yeh. However, if you're non tolerant then the histamine reaction will kick in so badly at around 300mg you won't want anymore anyway.

Does sugar not speed up the absorption and increase/reduce the effect?

Nah, it's just shoved in for the fuckin snowflakes that can't handle the taste.

also could the sorbitol counteract the constipation if its a laxative then aha?

NOTHING can counteract opiate constipation...

NOTHING can counteract opiate constipation...

Like Julie said, stimulants very much can. Not exactly good HR advice but it does work trust me. Combine with magnesium for best results.

They ought to make a sugar free version that also doesn't contain any sweeteners - for us weirdos that actually like the bitterness of codeine... :!

The Care+ brand of sugar free linctus does not contain any sorbitol or other shite that causes you issues as I said above. I have a bottle right here. Contains ethanol and some colouring and flavouring agents and some preservatives but that's about it. No artificial sweeteners.

Like Julie said, stimulants very much can. Not exactly good HR advice but it does work trust me. Combine with magnesium for best results.

The Care+ brand of sugar free linctus does not contain any sorbitol or other shite that causes you issues as I said above. I have a bottle right here. Contains ethanol and some colouring and flavouring agents and some preservatives but that's about it. No artificial sweeteners.

Tbh, I've never really suffered from opiate constipation that much myself. I once went a month without shitting when I was on methadone, but when the time eventually came I just passed a fuckin huge log with no pain or trauma experienced.

As for the Care+ linctus, it still has flavourings added. I personally love the taste of a fresh CWE myself. I also used to chew methadone tablets cos I'm weird like that...

Tbh, I've never really suffered from opiate constipation that much myself. I once went a month without shitting when I was on methadone, but when the time eventually came I just passed a fuckin huge log with no pain or trauma experienced.

As for the Care+ linctus, it still has flavourings added. I personally love the taste of a fresh CWE myself. I also used to chew methadone tablets cos I'm weird like that...

Holy shit mate! I once went a week without shitting thanks to morphine and the results when I did finally shit were... not enjoyable. Put me off using opiates for a good fucking while.

Weak opiates like codeine it's easy to handle the constipation from those though, never had any real bother off codeine or DHC for constipation.

The Care+ linctus does have flavourings but nothing sweet like sorbitol that will give you a stomach ache and fuck up the high from the codeine.

The sugar-containing care+ type is the best of them IMO. Flavoured and/or preserved with chloroform. Granted CHCl3 isn't healthy
for the liver if used on a regular basis, but occasional bottles of linctus aren't likely to off anyone. And 500mg/6 hours is about as much as anybody who isn't an ultra-efficient CYP-P450-2D6 phenotype can process.

The chloroform one makes a great cocktail too.

Sugar/no sugar made no big difference and it was amazing with a couple of the longtec. But weirdly fluoxetine completely fucked up the high when I took it with the linctus. Gonna have to change to a different ssri ;)

Is there any way to remove the sugar from codeine linctus? Perhaps using some kind of heating/distilling process?

Can we drop the specific source discussion please? Getting POM medicines behind your GP's back is basically doctor shopping and we do not wish to be leaving tipperoes for other folk to read. Cheers!

It wasn't so much your post boss it was more to do with the response it invited. Easier to keep it tidy this way.

There was no sourcing, no websites mentioned and I just said that a GP could find out and be contacted from those websites as you gotta give all your details on them

Sourcing is more than identifying specific individuals or markets - it includes discussion of methodologies to obtain drugs behind your GP's back, which is tantamount to Dr shopping. If you feel that any of my actions are out of order then please feel free to contact the senior moderators that supervise my activity who will reinstate all posts within the thread on review if appropriate

Senior Moderators for European & African Drug Discussion are Sadie and Tranced.

You could try basifying with aqueous strong ammonia (to PH 9.5-10) and then extracting into dichloromethane (aka DCM, methylene chloride) or chloroform, then after separation in a sep funnel, (keeping the extracted syrup until you've made sure to get what you need from it out, only discarding once the codeine is recovered so the baby can't go out with the bathwater) then distilling the solvent off for recovery and recycling, a hot water bath will be enough if DCM is used.

Or a water-aspirator pump (remember to use a capillary inlet to allow for a stream of bubbles or at least magnetic stirring, to avoid excessive foaming and bumping) to distill off the DCM in the cold.