• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Polydrug Dependence and Possible W/D

It could have been a number of factors. maybe you have high blood pressure? or possibly your sugar was low/high. It's really hard to really tell what it was. The jerky muscle twitches could be signs of WD, or something else.

It has dissipated since taking a dose at 9pm and having a few drinks. I haven't had any kratom since this morning and I'm having trouble with thermoregulation. I think it was probably WD from benzos and exacerbated by the kratom WD. I didn't expect something like that to happen after missing a single dose.

It has dissipated since taking a dose at 9pm and having a few drinks. I haven't had any kratom since this morning and I'm having trouble with thermoregulation. I think it was probably WD from benzos and exacerbated by the kratom WD. I didn't expect something like that to happen after missing a single dose.

What kind of benzo dosing are you taking? What benzo, how many mgs and how often? Inquiring minds want to know!

Good to have you back posting. I am in a similar spot -- but proud of myself that I have stayed away from oxy. With that said though, I am on low doses of kratom daily. Approx 6 grams a day. And my drinking comes in waves. Sometimes I'll string together a few very light drinking days, just a couple beers, then something will trigger and I'll buy a pint of vodka and hide it. And I'll take the occasional xanax if I have it. Fuck polydrug addiction!!

What kind of benzo dosing are you taking? What benzo, how many mgs and how often? Inquiring minds want to know!

Good to have you back posting. I am in a similar spot -- but proud of myself that I have stayed away from oxy. With that said though, I am on low doses of kratom daily. Approx 6 grams a day. And my drinking comes in waves. Sometimes I'll string together a few very light drinking days, just a couple beers, then something will trigger and I'll buy a pint of vodka and hide it. And I'll take the occasional xanax if I have it. Fuck polydrug addiction!!

I take 3mg daily. I used to just take 2mg and use the other 30mg to have fun but I can't do that anymore. My eye twitching has gotten a lot better but it is still here and I have no clue as to what could be causing in. I am off kratom, I don't know how long it has been though, but i still have restless legs and insomnia like crazy. It's probably been 4-5 days with no kratom. The WDs haven't been horrible, but really annoying and frustrating. But I'm still drinking. I should have never picked it back up after those 10 days!

And yes Krazikat. Poly drug Addiction is some BS! It would be so much easier if i only had one problem, not 99!

And yes Krazikat. Poly drug Addiction is some BS! It would be so much easier if i only had one problem, not 99!

Eye Twitching!! Interesting that you mention that. Is it like an involuntary flutter of your upper eyelid?? I had that happening to me for several weeks...it was annoying AF but seems to have gone away for now, thankfully. While it was happening, I was feeling extremely stressed and rundown. But since I've stopped being so hard on myself and have gotten some decent sleep, it has gone away. Funny though, as I haven't thought of it since you mentioned it.

Interesting, especially being that you and I are on, or have been on, the same substances. Alcohol, kratom and xanax. I didn't drink last night, but took 1 mg xanax and slept well. I am also taking a magnesium-zinc-calcium supplement at night. Who knows if it does anything.

My kratom intake is steadily creeping back up, but I am thinking it is the lesser of two evils when compared to the gross hard liquor run I've been on. I'm noticing it's making me hostile and an asshole to my family. So it stops now.

And THC/CBD helps immensely. I should use it every single day, but for the life of me I cant figure out why I don't

So I am about to be completely out of kratom with no available sources yo obtain it. And drinking more than ever recently.

Should I quit the kratom and reduce the alcohol i take at the same time?
Or quit kratom and wait to quit the booze?

I am very worried because I am dependent upon benzos as well. I do not have many options regarding WD meds.

Is this safe to do simultaneously? Or should I CT the kratom then worry about the booze?

Be very careful quitting the alcohol if you’re taking benzos. I’d strongly suggest detoxing one at a time. And please try and taper your alcohol before quitting to avoid DT and whatnot.

Better yet, can you work with a doctor on this stuff? Something like gabapentin or baclofen would be really helpful in safely getting off the booze, and kratom too.

If you can you might want to increase you benzo dose a bit when you come off the booze, especially if you end up having to detox from booze and kratom at the same time. Doubly so if you aren’t able to work with a professional to get the appropriate support with comfort meds.

I haven't even been thinking about DTs. Is that really a possibility?

I have been drinking about 750ml bottle of liquor a night. And recently it has been an entire handle every 2 days.

Should I really expect serious WDs if i just quit CT? I have never had a physical alcohol dependence and am worried about how bad it is if I do in fact have physical dependence.

Man bro. It seems you?re in a bad headspace.

Yes you?re going to have poly drug withdrawals.

It took me going thru two grand mal seizures and detox to finally give up benzos.

I?m 33 days into gabapentin withdrawals and I feel so much better.

I lowered me kratom by like fifteen grams a day.

You can do this. You?re just going to have to go thru the ringer to understand that these drugs hurt more then they help.

Will my current regimine of Xanax help at all with the alcohol WD? Or will I need to take more because I already have a tolerance to the Xanax?

Honestly this is all very confusing a little scary. I don't know how the he'll I ended up here.

Will my current regimine of Xanax help at all with the alcohol WD? Or will I need to take more because I already have a tolerance to the Xanax?

Honestly this is all very confusing a little scary. I don't know how the he'll I ended up here.
I have extensive experience with alcohol withdrawal. Using Xanax is not a great idea. You really should see a doctor and try to get a short script for a long half-life benzo like Librium or Valium, or if you're prone to seizures, Ativan. Xanax has a short half life compared to Librium or Valium and will require frequent redosing in comparison. You're likely to just end up dependent on Xanax instead of alcohol. Librium and Valium, by virtue of their long half lives, allow doses to be tapered down over 5-7 days.

I am dependent on Xanax. I take 3mg a day for a non-anxiety related issue. I am not trying to discontinue the use of the Xanax. Just the alcohol. I don't know how long it takes to become physically dependent to booze but i am worried i am. Haven't drank in 24 hrs and am very nauseus.

I am dependent on Xanax. I take 3mg a day for a non-anxiety related issue. I am not trying to discontinue the use of the Xanax. Just the alcohol. I don't know how long it takes to become physically dependent to booze but i am worried i am. Haven't drank in 24 hrs and am very nauseus.
That is a classic symptom of alcohol WD, along with shakiness, tachycardia, high blood pressure, sweating and chills. If you're manifesting one or more WD symptoms, you are physically dependent to some degree.

Well I have all of those symptoms except the tremors, which maybe is being suppressed due to my Xanax.
Is the 48-72hr mark the worst? Should I get some booze if I start getting sicker? And when is it time to drink, at what point should I worry about serious withdrawals such as DTs and seizures?

IME alcohol WD usually peak around 48 hours and after 72 hours, it's downhill, although you might find yourself in a brain fog around days 3-4. Do not drink and Xanax - that is a dangerous combination. When I got my DUI I was high on Ativan and drunk on vodka. I do not remember being stopped, I do not remember being arrested, I just woke up in jail. Alcohol + benzos = mad blackouts. Have you been prone to seizures in the past? Benzos should reduce the seizure risk since they are cross tolerant. The good news about DTs is that it is relatively rare, however, ideally you should have someone with you or at least checking up on you in case you do seize, that way there is someone to get you medical help in the event you need it.

I have definitely known about the blackout effect of combining benzos and alcohol. But my tolerance is so high I don't blackout or really even get drunk. I just maintain normalcy all day pretty much. But it seems like the withdrawals are potentiated when booze and benzos are used concurrently.

I'm not prone to seizures luckily, but I definitely don't want one! Maybe I'll try just drinking half a litre of liquor today and maybe a 1/3rd bottle of liquor tomorrow? And then keep going lower from there.
Of course my wife will be responsible for giving me my booze because obviously I have zero self control.

Of course my wife will be responsible for giving me my booze because obviously I have zero self control.
That is good. I have lived by myself since my divorce and I haven't had much success in tapering since then for the same reasons. The recovery industry makes it sound like an inpatient detox is the only way to go (it is certainly the safest way to go, though), but people forget that benzos have only been around since about 1960. People have been using alcohol to safely WD from alcohol probably since alcohol has been around; thousands of years.

I'm going to do my best.

I'm beginning to have this feeling of absolute panic manifesting in my gut, it's slowly spreading through out my body I think. Doesn't feel good.

Shortness of breath too, tachycardia, headache, and dry heaving occasionally. Cannabis helped so I could eat but only for about 15min and nausea and stomach cramps are coming back stronger.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I'd be on a bender, I would literally not eat for weeks. That's not good. The last time I had to go to a hospital to detox, my potassium levels were so low they were in cardiac arrest territory. It's important not to become malnourished even though you might not have much of an appetite. You would also probably benefit from taking a B complex. Hydration is important - I'd recommend sports drinks like Gatorade or Powerade since they have electrolytes. Coconut water is a good source of potassium, as are leafy green vegetables. Avoid anything too acidic. Broth and crackers are always a safe bet.

If you have access to propranolol or clonidine, those medications will help with the tachycardia and blood pressure.

Last edited: