GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Commonwealth Games 2018 - Gold Coast Australia

CFC

Bluelight Crew
GC2018.PNG

TNxxfpsX3wqwAFwPQYZSKM-970-80.jpg

16.jpg

Really looking forward to some of the events at the Commonwealth Games, which starts today: athletics, swimming, cycling, diving, boxing, gymnastics, rugby, weightlifting, squash and wrestling!

Here's the full schedule. Events kick off tomorrow (5th):

https://results.gc2018.com/en/all-sports/competition-schedule.htm

It's like the Olympics, but only includes countries that are part of the british empire.

The queen graced the gold coast with her presence yesterday, not your average meth-fuelled british tourist ;)

Yeah, 71 countries taking part (about 2.5bn people). It's every 4 years, spaced precisely between the Olympics. Will be nice to see some of the smaller nations get more medals this time.

I think they did lawn bowls on this past season of the Amazing Race. Looks pretty fun.

Lawn bowls is awesome! :D

So sad to see Sally Pearson forced to drop out due to injury. Saw her win 100m hurdles last year in London, such an impressive athlete...

Commonwealth Games: Australia's Sally Pearson withdraws from Gold Coast 2018

Sally Pearson, Australia's face of the Commonwealth Games, has withdrawn from Gold Coast 2018 because of injury.

_100707264_gettyimages-942060906.jpg

The 31-year-old 100m hurdler, regarded as one of the hosts' gold-medal prospects, had been struggling with an Achilles problem.

Announcing her withdrawal, Pearson said she was "gutted, absolutely gutted, tears flowing, almost like grief with a numbness phase and a crying phase".

She added: "Not being able to run for Australia is gut-wrenching."

The Gold Coast native featured in the Games' opening ceremony on Wednesday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/commonwealth-games/43625454

Straya going hard ftw. Some good swimming and a few WRs falling in that awesome open air pool...

rn9eVpL.png

Lawn Bowls final was last night - won (just) by Scotland over Australia. Was a great game to watch.

The athletics programme began last night as well - super fun.

Australia is now way out in front in the medals table too.

SA's been doing really well in the last days, but Australia waaaaaay out in front...

9Ch5RSV.png

There's been some fantastic Rugby 7s competition today, great to see smaller nations like Kenya doing well. Fiji still on course for the gold I expect (they won Olympics as well).

Its because our government pours money into sport.
I always feel sorry for the poorer countries competing against the bloody aussies.

Yeah, I'm pulled in several ways when it comes to who I support. I can be incredibly patriotic/competitive in some regards, but I often find myself supporting the underdog against Eng/Aus/Can, especially the small little countries. And things are slowly becoming more equal: Botswana, Kenya, Nigeria and various Caribbean and Pacific countries have started to do really well in certain sports and events. But Australia and England getting 100+ golds between them is a bit boring, much like in the Olympics when the UK/US/China/Russia/Aus hoover up 75% of all the medals because they can afford the 24/7/365 funding...

I hear you
I think that the only sports here in SA that get any decent funding is rugby and cricket but I might be mistaken
I am proud of SA though any medal is a great achievement

^ there's a little bit for athletics, and RSA has some exceptional talents, but the funding's minuscule compared to what the Brits or Aussies spend, which means it's difficult for athletes to dedicate themselves to their talent, and even harder to develop the breadth and depth of talent required to do really well on the world stage.

Yeah she won gold in 800m and 1500m at the Commonwealth Games.

It's a tough situation as the IAAF have still not figured out how to deal with intersex athletes. Which is not her problem, and nor should anyone pretend it is, but it'll always leave questions about 'fairness' until it's resolved.

Sorry I meant Caster lol
Agreed I actually met her and in my opinion she is a woman in fact a real lady.
I love watching the athletics though

Games are over now. Aussies did really well. England did their worst ever. More countries than ever before medalled overall. Will it translate into better Olympics performances though....

wtvhiwf.png