• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Two deaths, 54 other cases of severe bleeding tied to fake weed in Illinois

Maybe a synthetic cannabinoid with blood thinning effects or something?

Brodifacoum. The shit they make rat poison out of.

Indeed, that's what the tests are reporting. I read about it today at this link: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/rat-poison-chemical-linked-synthetic-pot-smoker-death-n863326

“Public health agencies are reporting that patients who admitted to smoking synthetic cannabinoids are presenting to hospitals with severe bleeding and testing positive for brodifacoum,’ Dr. Ponni Arunkumar, the chief medical examiner, said in a statement. “Brodifacoum is a highly lethal rodenticide and should not be consumed.”

I'm curious how rat poison ends up in the mix. Pretty sketchy.

Yup anticoagulant rat poison. Messed up af. I hope the people who were unfortunate enough to be harmed recover...I get why some ppl smoke this crap, drug tests...easy to get..but it's pretty bad when rat poison ends up in there. Going straight to your lungs and into your blood stream is crazy to think about. Think it was contaminated in the source country..assuming it's from like China or somewhere with access to loads of the synthetic noids? Or done in the states with a purpose? Just really weird..everyone knows the old timer that has a story like " my buddy Doug used to spray raid on his plants and when you smoke that shit you tripped out!"

It's unfortunate that this happened because certain states haven't legalized marijuana.

You don?t understand Captain Heroin, weed is worse then heroin. If we let these degenerates smoke weed then the moral fabric of society will dissolve. A few people bleeding out internally is a small price to pay for perceived moral superiority.

My first thought was someone is poisoning the supply. After a little bit of research it looks like people do intentionally add this compound to potentiate the effects of other drugs.

I found one report from 1997 about a 17 year old who repeatedly ended up in the hospital from smoking a mixture of cannabis and brodifacoum. He claimed to have first learned about it at a party. There's also a paper from 2007 talking about public health consequences of superwarfarin lacing of illicit drugs.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/14107256_Brodifacoum_intoxication_with_marijuana_smoking
https://www.researchgate.net/public...eview_of_A_report_of_two_cases_the_literature

Last edited:
This is like what you'd be taught in DARE classes, holy fucking shit. People literally cutting their drugs with rat poison.

Next you're going to tell me that people are drinking formaldehyde solution because they think it's the same as PCP ... !

Seems almost malicious to me. I mean why use rat poison? This seems beyond poor quality control.

It is supposed to potentiate the synth cannabinoids... but obviously it?s really dangerous.

Sad the things people get pushed into using by prohibition :(

I have no reason to believe it would potentiate the effects. What leads you to believe that?

It is a possibility (slim to none, but still a possibility) that legalization activists did this in order to make marijuana look to be the safe, necessary solution in response to dangerous "fake weed" products. Very unlikely, though.

Per the wiki entry. No idea if it’s true or not, but I’ve seen crazier things before.

However... now I can’t find the reference for where I saw that. So I really can’t be sure.

Most RC cannabinoids are full agonists at CB-1 and potentiation is not required.

A greater concentration/ratio of Drug:plant matter would suffice.

Whomever did this should face attempted murder or manslaughter charges, perhaps a lesser charge.

Agreed. Reminds me of when there was a bad batch of cannabis in Germany that had been laced with heavy metals like lead...