• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Suggest Self help work book

not_so_young

Greenlighter
Hey all,
I often find myself questioning why I do self destructive things such as using drugs. Does any one have a suggestion for some self help workbooks that have thought provoking questions that might help you deeper understand yourself?
I've had the work book that NA has and liked it, but I would like to know if there are others. If you have a suggestion, why did you like it? Was it basic or hard to get through? Please explain why you like our disliked it.
Thank you all!

I think this could be a good place to start: http://mentalhealthrecovery.com/wrap-is/. For free, it offers one to print off crisis plan sheets that you fill out, based one what has helped you. it's a good 12 pages of prompts. Also is a post-crisis plan, of ten pages.

The plan books each cost $10, but I think it's worth it, and it may be at your local library

Otherwise, I'd recommend a book on mindfulness meditation/breathing techniques; you could print out pages that resonate. There are probably some very good Youtube instructor videos for it. Thousands of different meditations exist. Mindfulness is just about healing, no religion connected. Otherwise, I'd recommend mantras about loving and kindness and unity with others. It is hard in the beginning to sit still. After regular practice, this ability is gained. It helps immensely, a manifold safety net for my very negative self.

If you want to go a more Eastern route, the aphorisms of Confucious and Lao Tzu usually help. They're very peaceful.

One last one is to try journalism. Set aside a time each day just to journal. You may find that you these answers, but that they require excavation.

The Refuge Recovery book by Noah Levine lays out two detailed sets of questions, he calls "inventories." Sort of like a 12 step inventory but with a Buddhist/Eastern orientation. I'm working on them right now.

I like the NA book. Very thorough. My first sponsor had me do the steps with that book.

Thanks the start!
I guess self examination is not a popular concept lol.
I will try to share as I find any interesting work books, web sites, whatever...
I hope this helped you too, Mmp85

I guess self examination is not a popular concept lol.

It's an irony of our culture that self-obsession and self loathing are rampant (and encouraged!) but genuine self-examination is belittled.8)

It is not a workbook, but I have found Pema Chodron's books to be helpful for my own self-examination and change.

Good luck and thanks for starting the topic.

Thanks Herb.
I agree, our culture is a bit mixed up. I've never been a person that could just chat lightly about, basically, nothing and have often wondered why its so hard to find someone to really talk to. It seems most people are deep as puddles.
I think, for myself, the only way I'll really be able to stop abusing drugs is if I figure myself out and deal with why, since my teens, I've never been sober. Only I understand me, and although talking to a therapist offers, sometimes,a decent perspective, I like figuring myself out.
Waiting for my work load to slow down so I can start on some of these books that have been suggested. I look forward to sharing what I've found to be most helpful.
Again thanks to all... look forward to more suggestions!