Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Various - Retrospective - Review of my favorite GABAergics

Synaps3

Bluelighter
This is going to be a review of my favorite GABAergic sedatives. Here is the list of my top chemicals:

2m2b (2-methyl-2-butanol)
3m3p (3-methyl-3-pentanol)
Emylcamate
Soma (carisoprodol)
propanediol
GHB/GBL

Each of these has their pros and cons. I'll also try to outline their effects to the best of my ability.

2m2b:
Dose: 2-8ml
Taste: peppermint, solvent
This one is the most sedating/heavy of the bunch. Main effects last 2-3 hours and after effects up to 24 hours. The mind is pretty clear on this one (as with most), but despite being clear, thoughts are drastically slowed. There is also a crispness of senses and a narrowing of consciousness. The narrowing also results in an amplification of the task at hand. You feel almost as if all background noise in your mind has been reduced, leaving you with a slowed, more one track mind. There is also some dissociation from the environment. It leaves you with a sort of hollow feeling - tunnel mind if that makes sense.
Best uses: Sleep at high dose, anxiety reduction at low dose. The best for chilling and slowing down.

3m3p:
Dose: 2-5ml
Taste: spearmint, solvent
This feels almost identical to 2m2b. The only differences are that it is about 50% more potent and has more peripheral numbness.
Best uses: same as 2m2b

Emylcamate (carbamate ester of 3m3p):
Dose: 0.8 - 2g
Taste: minty, floral, perfume
This has the same effects as 3m3p except it is more potent and has less lingering sedation the next day.
Best uses: same

Soma:
Dose: 0.5 - 2g
Taste: bitter
This one has a more warm feeling compared to the others and more muscle relaxation. It is like GHB minus the euphoria. It has the same twitchy reflexes as GHB at high doses. This one is also the most discoordinating.
Best uses: sleep, muscle relaxation

Propanediol:
This is the diol backbone of both soma and meprobamate. It has the exact same effects, but much less potent. It is not worth trying, but I am including it for completeness. The dose is very high (2.5g) and it tastes terrible. The effects only last one hour.
Best uses: not worth it

GHB/GBL:
GHB Taste: salty
GBL Taste: vinyl, rubber
This is the most euphoric of the bunch. It feels a lot like soma to me, but less heavy and more energetic and happy.
Best uses: anxiety reduction, depression, sleep

1-ethyl-1-cyclopentanol (not ethynyl triple bond - ethyl):
Dose: 4-6ml
Taste: nasty, solvent, plastic
This is not something worth trying. I am just adding this here because it is another weird one I have tried. The effects are interesting. It is most like MXE, but it is pretty different. It feels like extreme heaviness and sedation. Everything seems like it is going 2 to 3 times as fast. Not like your mind is faster - it is slower, but it feels almost like your brain is skipping frames, making everything feel like it is happening faster, but your mind is just skipping over it. Listening to a song sounds like it is going much faster. The pitch of the sound is the same; it just feels like time is flying by. It also made me feel nauseous and the taste is unbearable - the worst of them all. This one could be pretty toxic. It has only been tested in rats. I don't think any other human has ever ingested this, so don't mess around with it. It could be toxic.

In order of addictiveness from worst to least:
GHB
3m3p
2m2b
Emylcamate
Soma

I will update with more details later.

** Update **

After effects (day after use):
2m2b - Lingering sedation up to 24 hrs. Everything seems more boring - not much interest or excitement in the usual activities. Walking around may feel slightly off-balance and speech is slowed a little, but not like drunk or anything. Otherwise thought processes seem normal.
3m3p - The same as 2m2b, but less pronounced. Interest in activities is still there if you are in the right mindset.
Emylcamate - Little to no after effects.
Soma - No after effects. Maybe even a slight increase in mood and energy the next day.
GHB - Weird headspace for 2-3 days after use. More easily annoyed by things. Head feels empty and vacant - like something is missing. Able to act normal socially, but feel like I am not very articulate. Much anxiety and hard to sleep the day after. This is why I don't use this too often. I was addicted to it for a while and the after effects continued to increase.

Out of all of these, I really feel that Soma has actually benefited me. It doesn't feel as good as the others, but it's nice to take before bed. It increases my sleep quality and I feel energized and not weird the next day like I do with the others. It is not very recreational; it is more utilitarian. The others are recreational, but I really don't see any long term benefit from using them. One exception is that emylcamate is good for anxiety, but you might get addicted.

*** Another update ***

Another thing about GHB I forgot to mention is that it makes you want to have sex. It is the date rape drug after all, but the sex part of it is real.
A weird thing I noticed that is not as obvious is that 2m2b also makes you want to have sex REALLY bad when you come off of it. On it, you don't feel like it at all, but when you come off of it, it is extreme. I think there must be some kind of hormonal thing that goes on because it doesn't feel as cerebral like the GHB does. It is pretty strong though and it's kind of annoying.

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_1ethyl1cyclopentanol
substancecode_alcohols
substancecode_gabaergics
substancecode_3methyl3pentanol
substancecode_3m3p
substancecode_3m3p
substancecode_emylcamate
substancecode_carisoprodol
substancecode_soma
substancecode_propanediol
substancecode_ghb
substancecode_gbl
explevel_retrospective
exptype_positive
exptype_addiction
roacode_oral

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of them have triple bonds..... I never noticed ant issues. I once even had a liver and kidney function test done after a period of occasional use of it. Not that that means its safe but it was fine to me personally. There's also the propynyl version which is supposed to be more potent but I haven't tried it. Clomethaizole was nice too but obviously not the safest. 2m2b wasn't bad 1-propanol was fairly nice too. I believe I tried some others but its been awhile.

Yeah, you might not notice the effect if used occasionally. It is mainly that it alkylates certain enzymes, so if you are taking other substances it may take them very long to clear the system and may have greatly increased effects because the liver wont be able to process them until the enzyme regenerates (which takes an unknown amount of time). There are research papers on this. This is not just for substances, but toxins may take longer to clear as well - doesn't sound worth it.

** Updated with more details **

Some more attributes to add. I want this to be extensive because there is not too much knowledge of these rare substances.

Appearance:

2m2b: Thick oily liquid. Feels slippery and rubbery in hands.
3m3p: Same
Emylcamate: White crystalline powder. Maybe just a powder if it's fine enough.
Soma: White powder, but usually in pill form anyway.
GHB: White soapy powder that attracts moisture from the air. It may also be dissolved in water at a certain ratio and will then appear as a thick syrupy liquid. The concentration is usually 0.5 to 0.8 grams per mL.
GBL: Thin liquid. Like water. Not much smell, but terrible plastic taste.

Onset of effects:

2m2b: Only 3-5 minutes for onset. Peak effects in only 15 minutes. This can make it very addictive, but also good for panic situations, where effects need to happen quickly.
3m3p: About the same as 2m2b - maybe even a bit quicker. Can feel almost immediately after drinking it. Maybe 1-2 minutes.
Emylcamate: Slightly longer (maybe 10 minutes), but still extremely quick compared to most medicine. This is the only one that doesn't taste bad to me. It tastes like a mint without the sweetness. It has a hint of perfume taste though and the smell is like deodorant. This is something that would be really cool to press with some sugar because it might actually taste good-ish.
Soma: About 30 minutes for onset and about 1.5 hours for full effects.
GHB: Same as Soma
GBL: About 20 minutes for onset and 45 minutes for peak. There is no reason to use this over GHB, but some G fiends prefer it I guess because it works faster. It can't be very healthy either, unlike GHB which is an endogenous chemical (ie found in your body in small amounts), this stuff tastes like liquid plastic and the funny thing is - it will make plastic into liquid too LOL.

A word of caution: DON'T BINGE ON 2M2B OR 3M3P! Well, binging on anything is bad obviously, but you will sleep forever (if you have any obligations, you'll probably miss them) and then eventually after sleeping way too long for several days, you will feel nauseous, wide awake and you will feel like fucking ALL the time!!! It's not even in a good way like GHB is lol.

Last edited:
Thanks for this very interesting report... some of the only reports I've ever seen on some of these.

This is going to be a review of my favorite GABAergic sedatives. Here is the list of my top chemicals:

2m2b (2-methyl-2-butanol)
3m3p (3-methyl-3-pentanol)
Emylcamate
Soma (carisoprodol)
propanediol
GHB/GBL

Each of these has their pros and cons. I'll also try to outline their effects to the best of my ability.

2m2b:
Dose: 2-8ml
Taste: peppermint, solvent
This one is the most sedating/heavy of the bunch. Main effects last 2-3 hours and after effects up to 24 hours. The mind is pretty clear on this one (as with most), but despite being clear, thoughts are drastically slowed. There is also a crispness of senses and a narrowing of consciousness. The narrowing also results in an amplification of the task at hand. You feel almost as if all background noise in your mind has been reduced, leaving you with a slowed, more one track mind. There is also some dissociation from the environment. It leaves you with a sort of hollow feeling - tunnel mind if that makes sense.
Best uses: Sleep at high dose, anxiety reduction at low dose. The best for chilling and slowing down.

3m3p:
Dose: 2-5ml
Taste: spearmint, solvent
This feels almost identical to 2m2b. The only differences are that it is about 50% more potent and has more peripheral numbness.
Best uses: same as 2m2b

Emylcamate (carbamate ester of 3m3p):
Dose: 0.8 - 2g
Taste: minty, floral, perfume
This has the same effects as 3m3p except it is more potent and has less lingering sedation the next day.
Best uses: same

Soma:
Dose: 0.5 - 2g
This one has a more warm feeling compared to the others and more muscle relaxation. It is like GHB minus the euphoria. It has the same twitchy reflexes as GHB at high doses. This one is also the most discoordinating.
Best uses: sleep, muscle relaxation

Propanediol:
This is the diol backbone of both soma and meprobamate. It has the exact same effects, but much less potent. It is not worth trying, but I am including it for completeness. The dose is very high (2.5g) and it tastes terrible. The effects only last one hour.

GHB/GBL:
GHB Taste: salty
GBL Taste: vinyl, rubber
This is the most euphoric of the bunch. It feels a lot like soma to me, but less heavy and more energetic and happy.
Best uses: anxiety reduction, depression, sleep

1-ethyl-1-cyclopentanol (not ethynyl triple bond - ethyl):
Dose: 4-6ml
Taste: nasty, solvent, plastic
This is not something worth trying. I am just adding this here because it is another weird one I have tried. The effects are interesting. It is most like MXE, but it is pretty different. It feels like extreme heaviness and sedation. Everything seems like it is going 2 to 3 times as fast. Not like your mind is faster - it is slower, but it feels almost like your brain is skipping frames, making everything feel like it is happening faster, but your mind is just skipping over it. Listening to a song sounds like it is going much faster. The pitch of the sound is the same; it just feels like time is flying by. It also made me feel nauseous and the taste is unbearable - the worst of them all. This one could be pretty toxic. It has only been tested in rats. I don't think any other human has ever ingested this, so don't mess around with it. It could be toxic.

In order of addictiveness from worst to least:
GHB
3m3p
2m2b
Emylcamate
Soma

I will update with more details later.

** Update **

After effects (day after use):
2m2b - Lingering sedation up to 24 hrs. Everything seems more boring - not much interest or excitement in the usual activities. Walking around may feel slightly off-balance and speech is slowed a little, but not like drunk or anything. Otherwise thought processes seem normal.
3m3p - The same as 2m2b, but less pronounced. Interest in activities is still there if you are in the right mindset.
Emylcamate - Little to no after effects.
Soma - No after effects. Maybe even a slight increase in mood and energy the next day.
GHB - Weird headspace for 2-3 days after use. More easily annoyed by things. Head feels empty and vacant - like something is missing. Able to act normal socially, but feel like I am not very articulate. Much anxiety and hard to sleep the day after. This is why I don't use this too often. I was addicted to it for a while and the after effects continued to increase.

Out of all of these, I really feel that Soma has actually benefited me. It doesn't feel as good as the others, but it's nice to take before bed. It increases my sleep quality and I feel energized and not weird the next day like I do with the others. It is not very recreational; it is more utilitarian. The others are recreational, but I really don't see any long term benefit from using them. One exception is that emylcamate is good for anxiety, but you might get addicted.

*** Another update ***

Another thing about GHB I forgot to mention is that it makes you want to have sex. It is the date rape drug after all, but the sex part of it is real.
A weird thing I noticed that is not as obvious is that 2m2b also makes you want to have sex REALLY bad when you come off of it. On it, you don't feel like it at all, but when you come off of it, it is extreme. I think there must be some kind of hormonal thing that goes on because it doesn't feel as cerebral like the GHB does. It is pretty strong though and it's kind of annoying.

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_1ethyl1cyclopentanol
substancecode_alcohols
substancecode_gabaergics
substancecode_3m3p
substancecode_3m3p
substancecode_emylcamate
substancecode_carisoprodol
substancecode_soma
substancecode_propanediol
substancecode_ghb
substancecode_gbl
explevel_retrospective
exptype_positive
exptype_addiction
roacode_oral
Hi synaps3 I'm new to the forum I have a question?you have tried 2m2b before what was it like? Does it act like alcohol like for example does it slow down thoughts and so on? Would you recommend it

Hi synaps3 I'm new to the forum I have a question?you have tried 2m2b before what was it like? Does it act like alcohol like for example does it slow down thoughts and so on? Would you recommend it
I tried to explain it above, but I'll try to make it more clear. It feels like alcohol minus mental distortion and warmth. Your brain might slow down like alcohol, but it won't get as cloudy. If what you like about alcohol is the goofy behavior, then you probably won't like it. If instead, you just want to relax and watch a movie or something, then you might like it. It's definitely not a party drug like alcohol; it's more suited to relaxation or anxiety.
I find it's actually a god-send for anxiety because it reaches peak effect in only 10 minutes if you chug it. I also think it's better than benzos personally cause it doesn't give me memory loss (unless I use a stupid amount).
The taste is very bad though. Like mint and sharpie marker. I haven't used any in years. I decided to move on from it because it builds up in the system and lasts too long. It's like you get a 3 hour effect and then it just converts into a heavy sedation without any alcohol-like effects.

I tried to explain it above, but I'll try to make it more clear. It feels like alcohol minus mental distortion and warmth. Your brain might slow down like alcohol, but it won't get as cloudy. If what you like about alcohol is the goofy behavior, then you probably won't like it. If instead, you just want to relax and watch a movie or something, then you might like it. It's definitely not a party drug like alcohol; it's more suited to relaxation or anxiety.
I find it's actually a god-send for anxiety because it reaches peak effect in only 10 minutes if you chug it. I also think it's better than benzos personally cause it doesn't give me memory loss (unless I use a stupid amount).
The taste is very bad though. Like mint and sharpie marker. I haven't used any in years. I decided to move on from it because it builds up in the system and lasts too long. It's like you get a 3 hour effect and then it just converts into a heavy sedation without any alcohol-like effects.
Thank you for your reply

hi since I last talked to you I tried 2m2b it was weird it tried ethinol alcohol before and when i drunk 2m2b I felt some nice alcohol euphoria it killed my anxiety slowed my thoughts and knock me out at a 10 ml dose i' kind of like it as a night cap but it's not a alcohol replacement too sedating also people complain that its nasty when you Drink it kind of if you mix it with orange juice it's not to bad it's not as nasty as whisky straight up or God help you beer🤮

hi since I last talked to you I tried 2m2b it was weird it tried ethinol alcohol before and when i drunk 2m2b I felt some nice alcohol euphoria it killed my anxiety slowed my thoughts and knock me out at a 10 ml dose i' kind of like it as a night cap but it's not a alcohol replacement too sedating also people complain that its nasty when you Drink it kind of if you mix it with orange juice it's not to bad it's not as nasty as whisky straight up or God help you beer🤮
Also it smells like acitone the nail polish remover stuff

You really think it's less nasty than whiskey? Or beer? When I was doing 2m2b for a little while, I had to cap it into gel caps to swallow it (if you take them right away they don't dissolve), and just the burps from it were horrible. And I'm the kind of guy that puts research chemical psychedelics in my mouth and swishes them around so I can see how they taste. Beer on the other hand, tastes pretty fucking good, especially a nice IPA.

Yeah, I agree. It's good as a night cap SOMETIMES, but not an alcohol replacement. GHB/GBL is probably better as an alcohol replacement, but it's got other serious problems. Much more addictive and the dose response is exponential. You have a very small window to passing out in a bad place.

not as nasty as whisky straight up or God help you beer
Beer!?

How Dare You Greta GIF

Yeah, I agree. It's good as a night cap SOMETIMES, but not an alcohol replacement. GHB/GBL is probably better as an alcohol replacement, but it's got other serious problems. Much more addictive and the dose response is exponential. You have a very small window to passing out in a bad place.

Beer!?

How Dare You Greta GIF
Agreed I will try ghb or an analog and get back to you having experamented with it I can say that with 20 ml means night night for sure and 30 ml means unconsciousness I'm never doing that again good thing I had a Friend with me

Propanediol:

Not sure what you mean 🤔 1,3-propanediol? Is that psychoactive?

Earlier today I stumbled on video instructions for how to synthesize Chlorobutanol (trichloro-2-methyl-2-propanol). It's super easy to make.

Unfortunately it doesn't sound like that great of a high and is pretty toxic, but I am thinking about getting some stuff to try it.

I have always thought trying weird solvents and chlorinated alcohols that were used as sedatives in the beginning of the last century was a fun passtime too!

Have any of you tried chlorobutanol?