Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Fentanyl-Laced Cocaine Becoming A Deadly Problem Among Drug Users

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Fentanyl-Laced Cocaine Becoming A Deadly Problem Among Drug Users
by Martha Bebinger
Mar, 29 2018 ? (Morning Edition / WBUR) ?

A pipe was the only sign of drug use found near Chris Bennett's body in November. But it looked like the 32-year-old Taunton, Mass., native had stopped breathing and died of an opioid overdose. Bennett's mother, Liisa, couldn't understand what happened. Then she saw the toxicology report.

"I'm convinced he was smoking cocaine that was laced," she says. "That's what he had in his system, [it] was cocaine and fentanyl."

Liisa Bennett was shocked. Chris had developed an addiction to pain pills and then heroin in his late teens but had not used opioids for at least 10 years, as far as she knew. Bennett had warned her son that if he ever used opioids again, he'd be in greater danger of an overdose because fentanyl, an opioid drug more powerful than heroin, was mixed into much of the supply.

"My focus was making sure that he wasn't going to do the heroin that was laced," Bennett says. She never suspected the crack cocaine Chris smoked occasionally would kill him. "Absolutely not."

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says fentanyl, which is up to 50 times more powerful than heroin, was found in more than half of overdose deaths last year in 10 states including Massachusetts. Now, there's concern as it creeps into cocaine.

Bennett's story echoes those heard on college campuses, where students are snorting cocaine to stay awake or during a campus party, and unknowingly overdosing on fentanyl. Thirty-, 40- and 50-year-olds are celebrating their big birthday with a line of cocaine and keeling over. And regular cocaine users report feeling the expected rush and then falling asleep. If these men and women use cocaine and do not have the opioid reversal drug naloxone handy, sometimes, they don't wake up.

Fentanyl-laced cocaine deaths are a growing concern
It's not clear how many of the nearly 2,000 estimated deaths listed as opioid overdoses last year in Massachusetts represent people who thought they were doing cocaine. The state doesn't register drug combinations found in most bodies after an overdose.

Connecticut does. There, the number of deaths involving cocaine and fentanyl together has increased 420 percent in the past three years. Heroin laced with fentanyl claimed even more lives in Connecticut during that same period.

In Massachusetts, an increasing amount of cocaine laced with fentanyl is changing hands on the streets. State police recorded 199 such samples last year, a nearly threefold increase from 2016 ? but still a small percentage of total cocaine seizures.

The Drug Enforcement Administration says 7 percent of cocaine seized in New England in 2017 included fentanyl, up from 4 percent in 2016. A similar comparison for the U.S. as a whole was not readily available.

Who's adding fentanyl to cocaine, and why?

The DEA's latest National Drug Threat Assessment says adding fentanyl to cocaine is typically for the purpose of "speedballing," which combines the rush of a stimulant, often cocaine, with a drug that depresses the nervous system, such as heroin. It's a dangerous combination in any form ? more so with fentanyl.

But there's speculation that something else is happening in the current surge of cocaine/fentanyl overdoses and deaths.

A dozen EMTs, police officers, physicians and outreach workers contacted for this story describe men and women who were revived after an opioid overdose and claimed they had only used cocaine. So when was fentanyl added and why? There are a few theories.

Some researchers say fentanyl showing up in cocaine looks to be accidental, a product of messy packaging rather than malicious intent. Boston Medical Center epidemiologist

Traci Green says the rise in cocaine/fentanyl deaths she's tracking out of Rhode Island is commensurate with the increase in fentanyl deaths overall.

"It's more of a contamination model rather than one that is malicious or purposeful," says Green, who is also an associate professor of emergency medicine and epidemiology at the Brown University School of Medicine.

But a growing number of law enforcement agents, doctors, recovery providers, and drug users argue for malicious intent. They speculate that cartel leaders are using cocaine to expand the market of people addicted to opioids.

Continued https://www.northcountrypublicradio...ne-becoming-a-deadly-problem-among-drug-users

Nice to see you back in DiTM, NSA.

As for the article. All I can say is, good job War on Drugs. How many more lives have to be lost before we re-evaluate our approach, huh?

Thanks bd. Its good to be back.

After the endless illogical bizarrely progression and awful results, I'm not sure that the human is developed enough to either broadly desire or implement a better solution.

Far to many ulterior motives mostly greed driven and justified with promoted ignorance.

I agree with trump on death penalty for ppl lacing drugs with fent. No mercy whatsoever if u get caught doing that.

I'm surprised weed isn't being laced with fent yet.

I agree with trump on death penalty for ppl lacing drugs with fent. No mercy whatsoever if u get caught doing that.

It has. www.daytondailynews.com/news/local/...local-warning/eBtxRLXOmIiPD6cPLuXXOJ/amp.html

Why kill people for a problem perpetuated by our own leaders? Oh yeah that's right humans love deflection and blame passing. Look at some parents whose children die from ODs. Instead of owning up to the fact their children are addicts once again perpetuated by a broken system they blame the drugs. Its easier that way. We want to take prescription opioids away from people in need of them. Yet we're surprised when they turn to heroin? States with legal MJ have reduced opioid use. That's success right there. States are cashing in biggggg time on MJ taxes too. Yet instead we still demonize MJ and refuse to legalize it. Makes sense right? Its not exactly that easy but we hide from the truth. Our government is so scared of saying they fucked up big time they would rather people die or make money off their imprisonment instead of simply regulating drugs. Fear is one of the biggest killers. Not someone peddling some fent laced shit. If anybody cared enough they'd find a reasonable solution. A lot of people once involved in the WODs have recanted their stance after seeing the effects its had. Its easier said then done but come on. We have a century worth of info. If people in the 1800s could manage to use pure morphine, heroin, and cocaine when their nearest neighbors were miles away and information I'd hope to god we could do it. If people choose to kill themselves with drugs, its their choose, not anyone else's. It may be cruel but Darwinism is a known and respected ideology for a reason. Yet we'd rather imprision people then offer them real help or solutions a lot of times still. Its getting better in that respect but still....

Last edited:
Drugs being illegal is no justification for ppl to go and lace drugs with fent. I don't agree with you on that.

I never said it was. So we agree on that. Its just economics though. Just like anyone wants to make money so do drug dealers. If their risking their freedom they might as well try and make bank first. Its not wrong but it isn't right either. Money rules the world though, that is an unfortunate fact. Its how drugs have evolved for all of time. First beer. Then wine. Then liquor. First weed. Then kief. Then hash. Then further refinement until pure THCa. First morphine. Then diacetylmorphine. First cocaine hcl. Then cocaine freebase. First oxycodone. Then oxymorphone(same with hydro). First amphetamine. Then methylaphetamine. Etc etc so on so forth. More potent drugs mean more money whether its pharmacutically or on the streets. You know what they say though right? Don't hate the player, hate the game!;)

The death penalty is the easy way out anyways. Yeah you have to wait many years but your end is guaranteed. Some states use IV hydromorphone+midazolam too before the paralzying agent, yum! Sitting in prison forever is way worse. Death for dealing drugs is another level of nonsense though. We don't put the gun dealers to death after mass shootings or even a few shootings right? I mean if we'll kill drug dealers who sell drugs that might kill people which people know why not kill gun dealers who sell guns that cause innocent death right? Yeah right. How could you kill someone who sells something people know can kill? If we start in on that soon enough a lot of people would have to executed. Slippery slopes be slippery for a rasin.

IV hydromorphone+midazolam too before the paralzying agent, yum!

You only get maybe 1, 2 seconds of euphoria before you black out. Barely worth it.

Large gauge needle + quick push of syringe = even smaller window of perceiving the "high".

They also primarily use lots and lots of midazolam and minimal fentanyl or hydromorphone, etc. Very unappealing effect IME.

Hahaha that was more of a morbid joke that just didn't land right. Obviously you die from the paralytic and not the other two.

What about selling clandestine fentanyl as fentanyl? Thats all there is in my area. Nobody wants heroin... their tolerances are too high.

Also... I never understood selling a downer as an upper. what are these dealers thinking...

If you have a bag of heroin, and there's fentanyl in it, how do we know
you're not selling? :\

Killing dealers = killing all drug users.

If you guys really want that, go move to the Philippines.

Agreed. I'm against any capital punishment because of wrongful convictions. Putting innocent people to death isn't right. And its bound to happen.

Are dealers intentionally lacing cocaine with fent, why would they do that? An unexpected speedball seems like something that would drive away business. It doesn't make sense as a cut, this really just seems sadistic.

Thats all there is in my area. Nobody wants heroin... their tolerances are too high.

Probably because most heroin is heavily stepped on by the time it gets up to Canada, and also because if you're already accustomed to fentanyl, heroin wouldn't be cost effective.

Seems Canada loves it's fent...with the diverse ethnic groups in places like Vancouver I'd think there would be good #4. From SEA...or maybe even SWA. At least the article touched on the fact it's more than likely contamination. Crazy thing is some people really still do the Tupperware method to cut shit. If they were shaking fent and cut then just tapped it out then did coke next it would be loaded with the shit.

I don't think dealers would waste product and coke buyers aren't going to keep coping it if it's not getting them jacked. I can't see a coke fent 'speedball' being that great. Fent is kinda shitty...just too knock out strong. No legs and not much warmth.

Seems Canada loves it's fent...with the diverse ethnic groups in places like Vancouver I'd think there would be good #4. From SEA...or maybe even SWA.

It's crazy how the heroin market in western Canada has been taken over by fentanyl. I'm not sure why, exactly, it has been so dominant there. In Montreal, and I believe Toronto as well, #4 heroin is still the major available product, although fentanyl is certainly around.

Junkies gonna junk. The goal is to get as close to death as you can to forget the terrible world around you exists....;)

It has. www.daytondailynews.com/news/local/notion-fentanyl-laced-marijuana-prompts-local-warning/eBtxRLXOmIiPD6cPLuXXOJ/amp.html

Why kill people for a problem perpetuated by our own leaders? Oh yeah that's right humans love deflection and blame passing. Look at some parents whose children die from ODs. Instead of owning up to the fact their children are addicts once again perpetuated by a broken system they blame the drugs. Its easier that way. We want to take prescription opioids away from people in need of them. Yet we're surprised when they turn to heroin? States with legal MJ have reduced opioid use. That's success right there. States are cashing in biggggg time on MJ taxes too. Yet instead we still demonize MJ and refuse to legalize it. Makes sense right? Its not exactly that easy but we hide from the truth. Our government is so scared of saying they fucked up big time they would rather people die or make money off their imprisonment instead of simply regulating drugs. Fear is one of the biggest killers. Not someone peddling some fent laced shit. If anybody cared enough they'd find a reasonable solution. A lot of people once involved in the WODs have recanted their stance after seeing the effects its had. Its easier said then done but come on. We have a century worth of info. If people in the 1800s could manage to use pure morphine, heroin, and cocaine when their nearest neighbors were miles away and information I'd hope to god we could do it. If people choose to kill themselves with drugs, its their choose, not anyone else's. It may be cruel but Darwinism is a known and respected ideology for a reason. Yet we'd rather imprision people then offer them real help or solutions a lot of times still. Its getting better in that respect but still....
if you read they article they are just warning about a threat that could possibly exist because some guy thought it up and the end of the article the even say there have been 0 cases