• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Will ABILIFY stop my hallucinations?

popcorncandy_

Greenlighter
I was diagnosed with Substance induced psychosis (from Coke) and started having visual hallucinations and tectile hallucinations. Its been 4 days now and i went to see a psychiatrist earlier she prescribed me with

ABILIFY 10mg and to take it before bed.

Hallucinations are not as bad anymore and theyre starting to lessen. I havent taken anything yet (Will start Tonight)
Just really want to know if abilify work for me?
Will it stop my hallucinations right away?

Hey there,

No one really knows how a medication will affect them until they take it. Usually, antipsychotics work first on positive symptoms, such as you are stating: hallucinations, delusions, voices.

Also, doses of Abilify are approved up to 30 mg. It is also used for bipolar disorder, at lower doses though, again.

Some people find that their medication doesn't do away with their symptoms, but makes them much more easy to bear.

It's been a few days. How are you holding up?

Also hoping you're OK!

I keep Seroquel on hand for ending bad trips or doing too much of any stimulant. It generally works fast, within a couple of hours. It takes a heavy dose (300mg+) to completely stop hallucinations. I've gone upwards of 600mg, which is the schizo dose. For putting an end to a stimulant high, 100mg to 200mg works well. I have never taken abilify. In theory, it should work for you, but I do not believe it has the sedating properties that you might like. If you truly require an antipsychotic long-term, there are myriad factors, so work with a doc. But, for regular people taking drugs, I think Seroquel is the best overall choice.

Do keep us in the loop.