• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Has anyone sucessfully used tramadol for kratom withdrawal?

Triglav

Bluelighter
I read that some people have done it but would like to hear more. I have a moderate kratom addiction that happened by accident - I believed the whole "WD like coffe" story and was dumb enough to not do more research, but I find the restlesness and insomnia unbearable. Tramadol is the only substitute at hand. Please share some wisdom.

I personally hate tramadol (I had already developed a taste for some of the most harmful poppy drugs by the time I got my hands on a pile and thought that they were horrible). Despite my usual reckless abandon, during the one occasion I attempted to use it for heroin withdrawl (which it needless to say did not have any effect on ) I didn't push the dose to hard due to the seizure thing. I have never achieved anything near what could be described as an opioid effect, the most being a mild but irritating stimulation similar to fluoxetine or similar a/d's.

But, it's horses for courses and despite my own dislike I appreciate that many folk get what they would consider a desirable effect from tramadol which cannot be denied considering the amount of people who struggle with dependency on it, experiencing what is absolutely a typical opiate / opioid withdrawal syndrome when trying to stop. So, while it is not surprising that a 200mg dose or whatever did not put a dent in what was at the time a pretty ridiculous heroin habit that is not to say of course that it would not be helpful as a substitute for lower potency poppies and kratom.

But while I understand that kratom is difficult for some to stop using (I have ever had any interest in it myself) it does still seem to be at the lower end of poppy type drugs in terms of relative discomfort during withdrawal. Indeed it is this perception that encourages morphine level drug addicts to try and use it as a substitute.

Once you take a moderately strong poppy such as codeine or tramadol, you are just substituting the kratom for something that will be more difficult to withdraw from. You will have to face withdrawal from one drug or another at some point and this may be as easy at it gets.

Once you take a moderately strong poppy such as codeine or tramadol, you are just substituting the kratom for something that will be more difficult to withdraw from. You will have to face withdrawal from one drug or another at some point and this may be as easy at it gets.

Thank you for your reply. I used tramadol for 2 weeks before and was cranky for 2 weeks after. I was hoping if I could just use as low dose of tramadol as possible just to keep the restlesness and insomnia away, to get me through the worst couple of days and then go CT. Dont know . . . I am looking for an easy way out . . .

I used Imodium to get off kratom. 12 the first day, substract 2 every subsequent day. For 6 days. It was pretty painless. Of course I ended up getting back on kratom day 10 because of some emotional turmoil in my life. As for physical withdrawals... not much.

Get something like gabapentin or Lyrica. I can't even feel wd from kratom using a decent amount of one of them. No chills restlessness or boredom. Tramadol is going to drag it out. But the other drugs work differently. I always wonder how they do. Maybe nerve pain meds stop the sensations of some things. I don't know. But I do not even feel kratom withdrawal while using gabapentin.

I grew up using heroin, got on methadone, then poppy tea for 15 years. The withdrawal from poppy tea was the worst. Took a month to get 4 hours sleep. But kratom is way more forgiving. Try and use other meds to stop. My wife stopped a 6 year run and had 4 days of restlessness and feeling blah. Then 3 weeks of lethargy and then back to normal. And she shoveled in straight through the day. A lot. She was opiate naive. She had a few hips surgeries that got her hundreds of oxycodone. She would take it and then stop. Not stay one it. So she thought the kratom wd was dramatic and was not expecting it. But she balance out out fairly quickly only using mulungu tea, nothing else. I did not know about gabapentin back then,

Speaking of coffee I have 3 cups of strong brew every morning for 45 years. Some years back in Houston during hurricane Alicia we lost power for 3 days and stopped coffee. I was miserable. People underestimate coffee too. I can give up kratom but I can't coffee. All withdrawal sucks.

I hope you feel better. Give it some time. And take gabapentin for the restlessness instead of tramadol. Tramadol is a fairly strong drug that I understand is a bitch to get off of.

Last edited:
Tramadol is worse to get off... not a good idea. Tramadol is an actual opioid. Some claim 50mg Tramadol = 5mg to 10mg of a hydro or Perc. At least some studies have said that, both pain relief wise and WD wise. So Tramadol WD can be as bad as regular stronger opioid WD.
Tampering slowly off Kratrom is much better since it is not a real opioid like Tramadol.

^ I found tapering off kratom quite difficult. For one its short acting, and short acting opioids are not known for being easy to taper. Also, its hard to measure, purity and effects are inconsistent. Withdrawal is not that bad, I would either just stop cold turkey or do a rapid taper from Imodium like I did.

True, it is short acting and wildly inconsistent.
So taking Tramadol in place of it will only worsen WD, pro-long it, and then force you to WD from Tramadol which is basically full blown opioid WD + SNRI WD.

I used to take 100mg of Tramadol a day and got quite a good energetic buzz from it. Helped me through work a lot.
Just 100mg of Tramadol eases my WD from dilaudid yet other people I know get absolutely no relief from it and
are amazed it does anything at all for me.
So, the best answer here I think is to say that everyone is different and to just give it a try. Esp since it's the only
thing you have on hand. That is if you are insistent on using something to ease the WD from kratom.
Of course depending on how long you use tram you might issues getting off that too.

Tramadol will def' cure kratom wd, just depends on the dose. 200mg seemed to be my sweet spot. 400mg is the max daily dose with serotonin syndrome becoming an issue at those levels, and 300mg+ at one time is consider a heavy dose.

I agree, Kratom is incredibly dificult to taper. I would go CT if I didnt have responsibilities that dont allow me to. Today I took only about 16mg of tramadol and surprisingly it is enough to keep the restless tingly feeling away which I find fascinating. I will try to keep it as low as possible.

Yeah scratch that. the 16mg helped for about 3 hours. I am in a lot of distress to be honest. I really cant afford the whole withdrawal thing right now but have no other choice but to try this. I am gonna go with 32mg and see what happens. Any advice would be helpful.

Yeah scratch that. the 16mg helped for about 3 hours. I am in a lot of distress to be honest. I really cant afford the whole withdrawal thing right now but have no other choice but to try this. I am gonna go with 32mg and see what happens. Any advice would be helpful.

50mg is considered a light dose, you're barely hitting the threshold..

I agree that tramadol is a bad choice. Imodium dude... get some from any pharmacy. Take 6 in the morning, 6 in the evening, next day 5 in the morning, 5 in the evening. So on an so forth. Its a nice gradual comedown.

I used to take 100mg of Tramadol a day and got quite a good energetic buzz from it. Helped me through work a lot.
Just 100mg of Tramadol eases my WD from dilaudid yet other people I know get absolutely no relief from it and
are amazed it does anything at all for me.
So, the best answer here I think is to say that everyone is different and to just give it a try. Esp since it's the only
thing you have on hand. That is if you are insistent on using something to ease the WD from kratom.
Of course depending on how long you use tram you might issues getting off that too.
Yup, some people who have CYP26 issues don?t metabolize Tramadol properly - as it?s o form is 6 times stronger and has much stronger opioid actions.

I was prescribed roughly 120mg of hydro or Oxycodone per day, and switched to 400mg Tramadol and was shocked how Tramadol covered the withdrawal fully. Granted I was taking 600mg Tramadol for the first month to cover the WD... But soon cut down slowly.

If you MUST take Tramadol then start with 50mg. Give it an hour to work. DO NOT DRINK GRAPFRUIT JUICE or take Tagamet/any antiacids that normally ?boost? other pain meds. As Tramadol NEEDS to convert over to it?s stronger form for it to be effective. So you don?t want anything that inhibits

Also ?staggering Tramadol? supposedly increases it?s bio-availability. Some people take 50mg, wait 15-30 minutes, then take another 50mg until they reach their desired result. Supposedly doing this INCREASES how much Tramadol is absorbed - making it nearly 100% absorbed and I believe an actual study confirmed this. But those studies are limited.

So basically instead of taking 100mg at once, it?s better to take 50mg, wait 30 mins, then take 50mg more. This supposedly increases its absorption.
Oh, and a small fatty meal boosts Tramadol A LOT.

I wish we could still get Kratom in the UK I mean obviously their are sites but I mean it used to be so easy I had this one great source didn't have much variety but it did the job and codeine I'd superiors IMO to Kratom but Kratom had its own unique charm I could go for some right now damn..

As the thread mentioned tramadol I just thought I would add what my experience was with it. Im not sure what kratom is though without searching online.
I was horribley addicted to tramadol for me it was the worst thing in the world. I used to be really scared to go to sleep when I was weening off them as the dreams I had felt like real life and had horrible feelings in my brain and once I remember feeling my heart beat go very slow and was very short of breath and struggled so much that night
One day I had a sickness bug and had the doctor come out to see me because I couldn?t keep the tablets down, was hard for my family to understand but got something to stop being sick, swallowed the tramadol and was up and felt brand new after laying in bed all day which I was unable to do anything and I was crawling to the toilet it was that bad. After that happened my family understood my problem more

Not everyone?s the same some people will feel addiction some people won?t but it was a really horrible drug for me

Tramadol is the weakest one of hem all and it has this horrible unique dry mouth with a weird stim feeling it vageyl reminded me of meat anyways still an opioid but if much rather have codeine

Tramadol is the weakest one of hem all and it has this horrible unique dry mouth with a weird stim feeling it vageyl reminded me of meat anyways still an opioid but if much rather have codeine

Its probably weak for you but strong to others its just as strong as codiene

Codiene is extremely weak for me and did nothing when I was in pain but tramadol worked for the pain I had. Even my back pain today is still sore and im on dihydrocodein but if I was to take 2 tramadol the pains completely gone I just cant take it because I had a bad addiction to it